Meon LiFe Power Supply

bigmaho

Thanks for the info. Since I've never had my own power supply yet I wasn't sure if this was a big issue with this specific unit. I called Remote Audio earlier today and was told the same thing you are saying now. According to their rep, the paragraph I quoted earlier was more so a troubleshooting guide. Are you using the Meon Life on your current gig?

Sheesh, isn't it close to midnight where you're at? Can't get to sleep huh?

You could use something like the RA Juicer, which is an isolated DC Regulator. That (should/might) solve the noise issue.

Since the noise problem associated with the IFB-100 goes away when powering it with a separate battery, the Juicer should also solve the problem, because it essentially removes the direct connection between the device and the power supply.

I'm not sure what the current availability of the Juicer is, but I know that a new chassis has been designed for the next generation, which will hopefully be out in 4-6 weeks.

Glen Trew

• 2 years later...

Hi guys

I have a lack of knowledge power wise. I just bought a brand new meon life and doesn't feed my cart as long as I tought it would... it actually lasted about 30 min the other morning.

Here is what is plugged in:

Zaxcom fusion 10

Zaxcom mix 12

Lectrosonic venue vr

Comtek bst 25

Camos 7in monitor

The internal battery when I press test never goes higher than 14.6.

Am I asking to much of the meon life?

Thanks a lot!

"it actually lasted about 30 min the other morning"

This is not right. The 20ah battery in the Meon LiFE should run the gear you specified considerably longer than that. You should have a conversation with the dealer or with Remote Audio.

"The internal battery when I press test never goes higher than 14.6"

That is the top voltage and should not ever go any higher. You don't want your cart power supply to be over that or you will be blowing up power supplies in the gear.

Did the Meon Life drain to 10V and then turn off? Or did one or more pieces or equipment turn off when the voltage got low? May seem like a silly question, but it could help determine where the problem is.

If you have the RM (remote meter), how many Amps does it display with everything on? If you don't have the RM, considering the equipment you listed, I'll guess the current consumption to be, roughly, between 4 and 5 Amps. Adding cable loss, and allowing for other unknowns such as the current consumption of the 7" monitor, you should be getting at least 3 hours. I don't know why you are getting less. It could be a loose terminal inside (unusual, but I've seen it before), or it could be one of the battery packs has failed (very rare).

If you are handy with a screw driver, you are welcome to open the cover and make sure the terminal screws are tight and the wires going into the connectors are secure. You should use a screw driver with an insulated shaft (heat-shrink tubing or electrician's tape) to prevent sparks from accidental shorts. The screws should have lock washers, and the terminal connectors should be crimped and soldered, but its worth checking because it might prevent having to send to Toronto. If it all checks OK, or you'd rather not look inside, and assuming that you in Montreal, the best option is to send it to the Trew Audio Toronto service department so Richmond can see what's going on and get it fixed under warranty.

While writing all that I kept thinking "14.6V"... When the charger is connected to the battery (an automatic internal connection), the load of the battery brings the voltage down to a high of about 14.2V. The fact that you are showing 14.6V indicates that the charger may be at least partially disconnected from the battery. Just a couple of weeks ago we had a similar (maybe identical) issue, and it turned out to be a faulty solder connection of a component inside the charger power supply. It took a while to find the source of the problem the first time around, but it will be the first place they look this time. So if that's what the problem is with your's, it will be a quick and permanent (and free) fix.

Glen Trew

• 1 month later...