How To Build Your Own Plate Reverb: A Concise Step By Step Process

Jim Feeley

This looks fun. Anyone have any suggestions on how to modify a plate for over-the-shoulder work? --Jim

How To Build Your Own Plate Reverb: A Concise Step By Step Process

Back by popular demand, here's a discussion of the plate reverb, as well as precise instructions on building a plate reverb unit.

Oct. 11, 2011, by Bob Buontempo

OpenPlateReverbArticle1.jpg

As Larry Crane, editor of Tape Op magazine, noted, “Plate Reverb. Many people ask me about this and I usually tell them to listen to some records from the ‘70s and ‘80s and look for reverb with a thick, pillowy sound that doesn’t obscure the vocal yet doesn’t quite sound like an actual room.”

In 1983, I was the owner of a 16-track studio. One of the things that really separated the sounds of the recordings we could get from the sounds of the recordings made in major facilities was the quality of the reverb.

Spring reverb was the only affordable system for small studios at that time, since EMT plate reverbs ran almost $9,000!

EMT’s patent was about to expire, and when it did, competitors came out with similar products. While they were cheaper, they still averaged $2,500!

So an engineer who worked with me, Joe Errico, and I researched plate reverbs and came up with an affordable way to build one.

The whole article:

http://www.prosoundw...late_reverb/P1/

While we're talking springs... anybody else do the hack of putting a cheap dbx variable compress/expand box on the output of a spring, to simulate RT60 control?

Dbx%20118.JPG

(Also... anybody know how to insert width and height commands along with a picture's URL on this board, so it doesn't display so big? )