just got back from my daily vist to r.a.m.p.s.

Jeff Wexler

Oy... just got off r.a.m.p.s. and returned to MY group...  what a difference. As a group and as individuals, we have never gotten to that nasty place that r.a.m.p.s. finds itself all too often. Sometimes it is mildly entertaining but if you are in search of meaningful information or even conversation, I find I need to steer clear of r.a.m.p.s. some of the time. That newsgroup has its place, for sure, and I have enjoyed being part of r.a.m.p.s. for a long time now, but I am so pleased that we do have some alternatives --- and most of the credit goes out to all the good, thoughtful people who hang out here...  thank you.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Guest Jeff Colon

Understanding that for some the universal language is NOT a smile...and getting to know some of the players, I cannot take the brand wars too seriously over there... I myself have been guilty of acting out on the interweb... but dag nabit, I was RIGHT and they were WRONG !!! :)

Jeff C

Oh, Roberto is nothing, if you look at some of the other newsgroups on Usenet. There's hundreds of "alt.flame" groups where people do nothing but scream at each other all day long. (It's kind of like the Monty Python "Argument" sketch, if you know what I mean.)

Once in a blue moon, I'll pop over to rec.audio.opinion, but I lay low, don't say anything, and keep my head down. Those people be crazy.

Life's too short to get involved in these screaming matches. On the other hand: I'd sure like to see a head-to-head shootout between the Deva and the Cantar, on equal ground. I have to say, though, the Cantar doesn't look like the most intuitive interface I've seen, and the design looks a little alien-esque. But I've had experience with Aaton hardware before (cameras and telecine interface), and their stuff is Very French. (No insult intended -- just meaning that it conflicted with my American brain, requiring some translation before I could use it.)

So, I think one way to get over the RAMPS'S thing is to get a "sound mixers tour to the Netherlands."  It would be a bicycle tour to each of the beer breweries.  On the way to each breweries, we would stop by "R"'s house, and pee on his lawn. There are a lot of beer breweries, so we could pee on his lawn a lot.  (and his sound equipment, if he will leave it out for us) 

Coleman

So, I think one way to get over the RAMPS'S thing is to get a "sound mixers tour to the Netherlands."  It would be a bicycle tour to each of the beer breweries.  On the way to each breweries, we would stop by "R"'s house...

Coleman

I took that tour in Holland in 1966 --- it is a great country, great beer, and I am sure that after the second or third visit with "R" we would all be getting along famously (even if none of us were still able to stand up).

-  Jeff Wexler

So, I think one way to get over the RAMPS'S thing is to get a "sound mixers tour to the Netherlands."  It would be a bicycle tour to each of the beer breweries.  On the way to each breweries, we would stop by "R"'s house, and pee on his lawn. There are a lot of beer breweries, so we could pee on his lawn a lot.   (and his sound equipment, if he will leave it out for us) 

Coleman

I could drop a deuce on his cantar:) Just kidding. I would never do that, cause everyone would want to watch, and I can't do that with people watching, unless i'm really drunk.

Even though some of us disagree vehemently about gear, I think audio gear aside, we all get along just hanging out.

-Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, Roberto is nothing, if you look at some of the other newsgroups on Usenet. There's hundreds of "alt.flame" groups where people do nothing but scream at each other all day long. (It's kind of like the Monty Python "Argument" sketch, if you know what I mean.)

No it isn't!!

Monty Python is brilliant...  I'm not so sure much of that sort of luster pervades the ugly stuff that goes on on r.a.m.p.s. I had heard about some of the groups, mostly usenet, that you mention, and it does seem that they exist for just the purpose you state. If you yell in cyberspace does anyone hear you? I guess so.

-  JW

it seems that lately a lot of what angers me about ramps is the whole "Robert Morein" series of threads...which still confuses me.  can someone explain to me what on earth that is all about?

I'm not sure where or why it started, but Morein and his arch-nemesis, Brian McCarty, have been going at it for at least 10 years. I have no idea who started it, but they seem to get into intense screaming matches on dozens of audio-related groups all over the net. (McCarty is famous for starting fights on rec.audio.marketplace by telling people what their gear is "really" worth when they try to sell it.)

My take is, life's too short. Get on with your life, shut up, and let it go. I never understood people who go nuts about this stuff, especially wackos on the net.

--Marc W.