Small "Pocket" Recorder Opinions Please.

Eric Toline

I wonder if feeding it power externally with internal batteries as backup would be ideal safeguard.

In another forum, an H4N and D50 user mentioned losing recordings upon failure. D50 owner had files recovered by

info@pinegrovealbany.com

Someone else suggested using computer to look for any unattributed files on card , renaming with RAW suffix and using sound editor program to open.

Thats probably the safest way. I really feel they should be building this function into all modern mixers today. With the low price and small size of these recorders it shouldn't be hard for SD to put (atleast) a stereo recorder in the 302 and Mix pre. Preferable as many isos as tracks. That would be so sweet.

Nice find with that Zoom 4 channel recording btw. I thought you had to mod it, but that seemed very easy.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if feeding it power externally with internal batteries as backup would be ideal safeguard.

In another forum, an H4N and D50 user mentioned losing recordings upon failure. D50 owner had files recovered by

info@pinegrovealbany.com

Someone else suggested using computer to look for any unattributed files on card , renaming with RAW suffix and using sound editor program to open.

4 AA rechargeable batteries will give you about 5.1 volts at a full charge (the H4n is a 5V device).

post-1100-0-89945500-1330097362.jpg

I haven't tried fresh alkaline batteries so don't know if a full 6V will kill it. This little box costs about $4 to build and I already have lots of AA rechargeables on hand. To test, I ran a strong line level stereo signal from a TV tuner into the Zoom, hit record and went to bed. It was still running 8 hours later when I shut it down, and still had battery charge on both sets of batteries.

The recorder will run with only the external battery, but with internal batteries installed I can remove the external pack (the pack has a switch) and the machine keeps running. I didn't do lots of testing but I think the machine might draw from internal and external batteries, as the internal AA battery pair did go down some during my overnight test.

"might draw from internal and external batteries"

Wow..that would be unusual..but it is what it is. And 8+ hrs is great. I was thinking running it off central bag power setups but your test with a simple outboard is helpful. And it's good to know the H4N can run record that long without crapping out.

I have a Zoom H4N that has mysteriously has stopped booting up (powers on, but freezes on startup). Initially I used it as a sole recorder on low-budget stuff. The preamps are a bit on the noisy side, but they can do the job in a pinch. The internal mics are fairly nice, and are X/Y pattern so have a good stereo image.

Seeing as Zoom UK distributors are not replying to my emails regarding getting it repaired, I'm thinking of replacing it with the Tascam DR-100 mkII (already own a DR-680 as my main unit).

Yes, there is a risk--if the power dies while you are recording on a Zoom you will lose that file (or at least have to go through a file-recovery-hell-experience to get it back, if you get it back). But as you saw, the battery life is good enough that if you are carefull this will never happen.

phil p

One short film I did a long time ago using the H4N, I had real problems with the battery life. I was having to replace the internal AAs every 10-15 minutes, with fresh duracell pro cells. Okay it was an exterior shoot in close to 0 degree temperatures and I was phantom powering two 48v mics. But still, was only 10-15 minutes life. I was having to change it every 2-3 takes, and a few times I lost files when the batteries died mid-take.

~Mark.

If it's for backup usage or doing quick live, on the spot ambiances with on-board mics I'd have a look at other brands.

I bought a Sony D50 a few years ago exactly for that based on *sound quality* and didn't care about having XLR connectors/phantom power on the unit.

100% satisfied.

Tip for ZOOM H4n.

If you are used the phantom power (+48V) the noise (from pre-amp) is a little bigger than you are not used the phantom power from ZOOM H4n and use battery from the microphone (such as Rode NTG-2).

I hope to post this test in Tuesday.

My dream hand held recorder:

It should have balanced XLR inputs with 48v phantom power available.

It should have quiet mic preamps -- because, IMHO, any recorder with pro XLR inputs should not have to have a mixer feeding it line levels to make a decent recording in a quiet location without a lot of noticeable hiss.

It must have separate input gain controls.

It should have a line/mic input setting for each input.

It should have intuitive, simple controls and not too many screens to navigate.

It should be small and light. It should fit in my shirt pocket

It should cost <$500

and my dream turns doubtful here, because XLR connectors are

really not that small. But they are rugged and reliable. 1/8 " mini-plugs do

work, but are not trustworthy- and they're unbalanced. TA3 connectors would be acceptable. But there's no major consumer market segment for these- so it's unlikely that a company like Zoom or Tascam will ever make a recorder with TA3 connectors. Which means that the price is going to be way over $500 -- like the Nagra SD- which cost $1300+ , and there again, the Nagra SD has the dreaded, dreaded 1/8" stereo miniplug input- and for that kind of money I might as well buy an SD 702- but that won't fit in my shirt pocket.

ohhhhhh

My dream has turned a corner into darkness. Hours hours at my computer reading reviews, scanning through forums, gathering bits of information to learn the merits and flaws of the Zoom H4nN-- or was it the Tascam DR-100 I wanted? or the DR-40? or the Roland R-26? or the Marantz 661? or the Sony PCM-D50?... I'm really spending way too much time on this. I have to stop. I'm going round and round. Help me! Help me! AAAaaaahhhhhhh..........

I concur with Mark. And FWIW, the latest firmware update for the DR-40 now allows independent control over the two input levels. (though they are not rotory pots like th DR100) The delay setting has also been expanded, "useful for live recordings when the console is far away from the band", acording to Tascam

02-21-2012 - Firmware update 1.10: Product: DR-40 | TASCAM

The Zoom H4n was my first recorder paired with a Wendt X3... got the job done :). I also have a PMD 661 which is a great step up from the H4n in terms of build quality and overall features such as professional line level input and a knob for gain adjustment rather than clicking buttons. I hear good things about the Tascam DR-100 although I've never used it in the field. The build quality on that is better than the H4n, has a wireless remote control that is removable from the unit and is at the same price point as the H4n, whereas the 661 is about $200 more than it.

Tip for ZOOM H4n.

If you are used the phantom power (+48V) the noise (from pre-amp) is a little bigger than you are not used the phantom power from ZOOM H4n and use battery from the microphone (such as Rode NTG-2).

I hope to post this test in Tuesday.

And now.

The first test (MONO-001) is without phantom power from ZOOM H4n (and battery from microphone) and second test (MONO-002) with phantom power (+48V).

The microphone is Rode NTG-2.

When the phantom power (+48V) is on from ZOOM H4n increased the noise from pre-amp.

The Zoom H4n was my first recorder paired with a Wendt X3... got the job done :). I also have a PMD 661 which is a great step up from the H4n in terms of build quality and overall features such as professional line level input and a knob for gain adjustment rather than clicking buttons. I hear good things about the Tascam DR-100 although I've never used it in the field. The build quality on that is better than the H4n, has a wireless remote control that is removable from the unit and is at the same price point as the H4n, whereas the 661 is about $200 more than it.

And well worth the extra money too! When I had the PMD661 and tried the H4n any thoughts I had of ever owning an H4n went right out the window.

David, buy a DR-40, and i think that you'll be a happy man. Its not perfect, but its the least imperfect of the bunch.

I am not that positive about the DR-40. I have one here for testing because its the smallest one with locking XLR inputs.

I want it as backup behind SD 552 and for quick stereo ambience recordings. Problems: high noise floor on internal mics in quiet locations + they sound a bit thin. And XLR refering to the manual are Mic only - Line level is 1/4" jack. There is no 1/8"/3,5mm input.

And the probably useful peak reduction/Limiter function is not working on external Line inputs (for example press splitter).

No remote control, mic foam, carrying case like Tascam DR 100MKII.

I do like size, operating, 2sec prerecord buffer, second stereo track 6-12db lower.

Will do more tests...

I am not that positive about the DR-40. I have one here for testing because its the smallest one with locking XLR inputs.

I want it as backup behind SD 552 and for quick stereo ambience recordings. Problems: high noise floor on internal mics in quiet locations + they sound a bit thin. And XLR refering to the manual are Mic only - Line level is 1/4" jack.

No remote control, mic foam, carrying case like Tascam DR 100MKII.

I do like size, operating, 2sec prerecord buffer, second stereo track 6-12db lower.

Will do more tests...

My only use for it is backup recording - so the internal mics and accessories don't make much of a difference to me. As i read the manual, there is no issue using the XLR's for line level, as they call it "EXT Mic/Line in", and the following quote:

"Confirm that phantom power is OFF before connecting a line level device to a EXT Mic/Line in jack".

As Mark says, XLR or TRS jack should be the same for line level signals, correct me if I'm wrong.

Not wrong, either the XLR or TRS 1/4" will work, line OR mic.

"Confirm that phantom power is OFF before connecting a line level device to a EXT Mic/Line in jack".

Yes, in fact, An on-screen message will ask you: "Phantom ON.. Are you Sure?"

Yeah the mic inputs are noisy with low output mics, an RE50 for instance. I use the line level in, so it's hasn't been of an issue for me.

FWIW, in Line level mode, the level is semi-fixed, the level control allows 12dB of gain only,.. from what I measured in 0.5dB increments. Personally I would have preferred 12dB of cut. Not an issue with a SD mixer, (OdB) but too hot for a true +4dBu referenced signal.