Nomad 6 or 8?

Chris McCallum

An upgrade from 6 to 8 doesn't require a trip back to Zaxcom but there is additional hardware to be installed. Though most likely your dealer can install it - so depending where your dealer is it may require you to ship it somewhere. And I don't know pricing involved but the cost to upgrade will be slightly higher than difference in the price of machines. So this should be kept in mind while pondering between a 6 and 8.

HI Jack, I'm advised by Zaxcom that it does need to go back home to the US for the 6 to 8 upgrade at the moment. Not sure of that will change in the near future. The upgrade sounds a bit techy so will require a real savvy tech to do it if it's at all possible.

" I am told it should be here at the end of next week "

While Chris doesn't say, perhaps he previously placed a pre-order with a dealer, or maybe is dealer just preordered a few for stock...

Hello Senator, I've followed your interactions here and elsewhere for a few years now and must say I enjoy your humour - it is humour right?

I am the "dealer" you refer to here in Australia, an yes, Chris did place an order some months ago, and yes we also placed a stock order some months ago. Zaxcom are now confident that the Nomad is solid and can now be shipped around the world. Like other dealers outside the US we are in the cue to receive our customers direct orders and our stock orders. It will take time to fill these existing orders, so we must all be patient for the Nomad experience.

Cheers

Ross

Lemac Film & Digital

Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane - down under

I promise that will be the last plug for Lemac, but I have just joined cyberworld and it is almost my first post. Thanks for your kind understanding.

WELCOME Ross!! Great to have you here. Although Cyberspace can be a scary place, JWSOUND is one of the least scary places I know (and it is named after me... by me).

No problem whatsoever with your first post in this Nomad topic and thank you for using your real name (or at least someone's real name) and identifying yourself as a Dealer. Feel free to post and reply anywhere on the site but please be mindful that if you are posting purely for announcements or dealer promotional stuff, that should go in the Manufacturer & Dealer section.

Cheers, Jeff Wexler, CAS

It's not a backup if it's on the same card.

sorry. let me clarify

if you are working wirelessly, the 2 extra tracks will allow you to back up the tracks you are sending to camera.

although, even if you are hardwired, it gives you a copy of what is on camera.

6 or 8 ... for the price difference and considering you're far away from USA (shipping costs plus delays if there is if you ever want to upgrade form 6 to 8 tracks), I'd go with the 8 track from the start.

More, you'd then have the Linux additionnal processor that comes with the 8, so upgrading again to 12 tracks in the future would be easier; would probably be a software upgrade then, unless I'm missing something.

Nomad 8 adds two extra record tracks, USB recording / Micro SD recording, MP3 capability and air mail capability. There also may be a difference in the number of auto-mix tracks - but I'm not sure.

I was initially told that the 8 track would have 10 auto-mix tracks, but more recently, Glenn has said that it'll probably have only 6 auto-mix tracks.