Pro Audio To Go

post-1-0-35870900-1325607989.jpg

Not exactly "Recording Direct to Computer" but sort of. I have had no experience with this but looks interesting.

"Pro Audio To Go turns your iPhone into a 48 kHz professional audio recorder for use on location by news reporters, journalists, documentarians, musicians, DSLR videographers, filmmakers, producers and editors. With a single tap on your phone, you can record an AIFF audio file in 48 kHz. Upload the file directly to an FTP server or email it, then download and instantly begin using it in your editing system's Timeline. No conversion necessary!"

Pro Audio To Go

Last month I saw a review of a interesting device from Fostex that sells for about $150.00. It will cradle an iPhone, and on insertion of that device automatically connects it to two directional mics mounted on it that can be swiveled so you can have two tracks of what you're shooting, or you can have one mic aimed at the subject and 180 the other around so the camera (phone) person can conduct an interview and their side of the conversation recorded on a separate track. I think this will be a game changer, especially after seeing a clip from a, well, I suppose one could still call it a "film" that was shot entirely on a cel phone. We're living in interesting times indeed.......

Jerry

Maybe with an external higher quality microphone perhaps. Also the Sound Devices MixPre-D can be used into the iPad as well.

Or the Blue Stuff:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/10/blue-microphones-tiki-mikey-digital-and-spark-digital-hands-on/

• 3 months later...

BEFORE, all you had to do was throw a Zoom like a ninja star at whatever makes noise on set and *BAM!* you've got perfect sound!

NOW, all you have to do is throw your iPhone like a ninja star!

But seriously, what would make the most sense to me(since the iDevices are just tiny little computers anyways) is to make a tiny 8 channel interface -- think Sonosax Minir82 size that sends 8 ISOS via USB2 to your iPhone/iPad. Developers should stop trying to use the iStuff as A/D converters and instead just use them as solid state recorders only.

I wish these existed when I was in college. We would haul tape recorders to shows to interview bands. Often we just transcribed the interview later for a print zine, so quality was only important enough that you could hear what was said. The last thing you want to do is haul around sound gear while watching bands all night and then riding your bike home.

I've been intrigued by the Hindenburg Field Recorder (and editor), aimed at radio reporters:

iPhone.jpg

More info here:

http://hindenburgsystems.com/products/hindenburg-field-recorder

Not tools for me, but neat to see what people are doing with iPhones...

This makes me rethink transcription. If something could timestamp MP3s, and email/FTP them right from set, wow. Anyone doing this? I only have one or two clients that regularly want transcription recordings, and I work for them sporadically. It's not enough work to completely redo how I do things (like buying a MS Windows laptop just to run wave agent, and convert files at the end of the day).

Unless asked otherwise, I free run time of day. I usually manually set my recorder (master clock) from my watch (visually looking at the time). I could even jam the time of day from my iPhone/iPod touch, and then record an approximately TC stamped transcription file. Even if it drifted 5 seconds, that is close enough for the transcription and notes that are being done.

Of course this is mute if I had a Nomad with USB stick MP3 recording.

* Most of these recorders don't seem to do MP3, and none indicate they have a TC stamp on the file. A refurb iPod touch starts at about as much as a Zoom H2. You can't swap memory cards, but you do gain the built in file transfer possibilities.

But seriously, what would make the most sense to me(since the iDevices are just tiny little computers anyways) is to make a tiny 8 channel interface -- think Sonosax Minir82 size that sends 8 ISOS via USB2 to your iPhone/iPad. Developers should stop trying to use the iStuff as A/D converters and instead just use them as solid state recorders only.

The RME fireface UC will do this, it'not as small as the sonosax though.