members having trouble signing in

Jeff Wexler

Any registered member having trouble signing in (we've had 2 so far that I know of) should email me so we can try and sort out the difficulties. Use this email:  jwforum -@- jwsound.net (make this a proper email address with no spaces and no dashes).

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Now we have 3 people having trouble. All the same symptoms reported that when trying to log in, alert comes up talking about cookies and such. I don't really know what has happend. I do see that most everyone else is NOT having any trouble because I see people signed in and we have had current posts. So, I don't know what the trouble is exactly.

-  JW

Phil Talsky was helping me sort out the problems a few are having and he found what he calls a workaround for the login problem: don't use Internet Explorer (Windows). His login problems were solved by using Firefox instead. I really have no idea why things all of a sudden stopped working for these members who are having trouble. It may take some Windows expert to figure it out.

Regards, Jeff Wexler

I meant the articles in a thread like this. Strange it seems to be correct now, maybe I am slowly losing my mind.

I'm sure you can change it in your personal preferences. I am just lazy, that is why I am a programmer.

Hi Jeff,

Just to further your information gathering..

Firefox on my Mac has always worked wonderfully on this forum.

Firefox on the PC would never keep me logged in between sessions and 'show unread posts since last visit' would always take me to 'no new posts - click here to see all unread topics'.

Whatever happened, caused this to all go away and now the PC handles this forum just like the Mac.

I haven't changed anything at my end, so I'm assuming whatever happened to the board caused it.

This is truly a great place with professional people and a wonderful cache of useful information.  Thanks for all your hard work to maintain it.

-Steigs

Okay, I think I know what's going on. Once you are in a list of posts display, there are column headings along the top. The heading to the far right may say something like "Last Post" or "First Post" and clicking on this will toggle the sort order in the list. It should then remember that particular sort order and you will be able to view either the last post (which would be most recent) followed by the next (to last) post.

Does this make any sense?

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Jeff,

For whatever reason, when I click on "Show unread posts since last visit", it doesn't come back with any posts anymore.  Nothing changed on this end, so I guess it is a problem on your end.

Regards,

Darryl Linkow, C.A.S.

We're trying to sort out some problems that a few members are having, trying to get to the bottom of it. You obviously did not have trouble signing in and posting but you are having a problem with the "Show unread posts...". Could you please tell me whether you are using a PC or a Mac and if it is a PC are you using Internet Explorer? For several people the problems went away by switchng to another browser (usually Firefox).

We will get to the bottom of this and you could help by letting us know what you're using.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

It does seem to be a cookie related problem. The machine I had a problem on running IE6 I had deleted the cookies on. They're turned on, but I deleted all of the Internet cookies.  Now I can't log in.  Maybe there was an old cookie that worked, but the new cookie has some incompatibility.  HMMMM.

I am on a new laptop that I have not deleted the cookies on. This one works and allows me to log in.  Both machines are running Win XP IE6

-----Courtney

Guest jimg

I'm a regular visitor and occasional poster.

I'm on Macs, running 10.4.9 and usually run Safari as a browser. The only issues I've seen are odd, in that if I close Safari while still logged on and then reopen Safari and try to log off, it takes two tries to do so. Otherwise, I see no difference other than some icon differences between the two computers I normally use to browse the site. Those may be related to when the two machines have last had caches cleaned.

Best regards,

Jim

I am on a new laptop that I have not deleted the cookies on. This one works and allows me to log in.  Both machines are running Win XP IE6

-----Courtney

This is finally the clue that helps me understand what was going on. Even though this was a problem that only affected 3 or 4 members I really wanted to figure out what was going on. Courtney's efforts and ultimate success has helped (and it has vindicated me to a certain degree as Courtney was the most vocal to me about the problem, demanding that I go back to the older version that was completely Windows/IE compatible).

My conclusion is that the current version of SMF software incorporated some additional security measures (which would of course involve the way in which cookies are handled) that were not completely compatible with some of the security measures in Internet Explorer. So, the only fix (other than not using IE) was to have no cookies yet installed that related to my forum and then sign in, either with existing username and password or with a completely new username and password, thus establishing a new and compatible coookie arrangement.

I don't pretend to completely understand these things and I am checking in with the SMF support forums to see if there are any reports of similar behavior, but for now I am going to consider that the crisis has passed.

Regards, Jeff Wexler

Thanks Jeff,

Deleting the specific cookie for jwsound.net did the trick. I can now sign in on IE6.

Must be the new cookies won't overwrite the old ones and the old ones are not compatible with the new version of the forum software.  That is a software design issue.

---Courtney