Rycote WindJammer Black vs Grey

benr

Okay, believe me I do realize this is probably a moot point, but since I dont have much experience in this field I wanted to consult those that did before I make this swap.

I just purchased a Rycote WindShield Kit 4 from B&H for my Sennheiser MKH-416 and as Im sure you all know it comes with the standard Grey WindJammer (Dead Cat, etc). Now, where I have intentions of shooting will mostly be in dimly lit areas, large warehouses (for which I might not even use the 416), or outdoors at night, around working artists who probably wont appreciate any distractions. So I was thinking that a black WindJammer might be just that little bit less distracting and hopefully help lower the possibilities of the artists from getting annoyed with the booming. I contacted Rycote and one of their resellers is okay with swapping my new Grey WindJammer for a black one for free, so cost is a wash. I will probably also do the same for my Rycote Baby Ball Gag WindJammer if a black one is available.

The question is, is there any reason I may be missing that is something I should be considering by going with a black WindJammer over a Grey? Dirt? Heat Absorption? Etc? Also Im assuming the quality of the two would be the same.

Basically this:

windshieldkit_04_lge_960x600.jpg

To this:

021512_WINDJAMMER_4_(BLACK).jpg

Thanks guys and hope this isnt too stupid of a question.

And Senator, go easy man, I cant help it, I over think things way too much!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've often wished for black--never really understood why they were grey (my old Lightwave zep covers were all black). Black would show up some what less in certain sorts of reflections....

phil p

Yea see and thats kinda what I was thinking: "Huh, why ISNT the standard included WindJammer black?" Seems to me it would make more since just to blend into the background more. Not to mention most Boom poles, mics and cables are all black. Why the Rycote WindShield isnt also perplexes me.

Didn't know they made black. I think that would be a good choice. I have a dark camo one (between sock and furry in terms of fiber length) for an old 416 zepp. It has come in handy for some night stuff with reflections.

Yea they make some really wild ones actually, check their product page out and then on the thumbnail image bar below the big image keep scrolling right: LINK

Weird stuff like this:

021513_WINDJAMMER_4_(CHINA_BLUE).jpg

021530_WINDJAMMER_4_(DARK_GREEN).jpg

021539_WINDJAMMER_4_(CAMOUFLAGE_FUR).jpg

021550_WINDJAMMER_4_(MONSANTO_GOLD).jpg

and more...

I had a Black Rycote windjammer for a while (it's been relegated to my 2nd basket since it got singed getting too close to a open fire), it got a few friendly comments, work well, I don't see an advantage either way personally. I would definitely get one if I thought it would have an advantage over the standard grey.

Wil

I own the yellow version. I can hold it high up in the air when it's cold and grey ( which is 90% of the time here... ) and we all for a moment pretend we're in LA.

On a more serious note as has been mentioned - many of the non standard colours have shorter fur so less extreme wind protection. I believe the solid colours lie in the middle and the camo/ patterned flavours are the shortest length. If you need maximum protection they have a 4inch fur for special orders... I believe it's called '4 inch grey' which is a little boring IMO. The yellow is called 'Monsanto Gold' which is very exciting!

Simon,

London.

Monstanto should come in Orange only.. (:

Maybe Monsanto Yellow represents corn...

I own the yellow version. I can hold it high up in the air when it's cold and grey ( which is 90% of the time here... ) and we all for a moment pretend we're in LA.

On a more serious note as has been mentioned - many of the non standard colours have shorter fur so less extreme wind protection. I believe the solid colours lie in the middle and the camo/ patterned flavours are the shortest length. If you need maximum protection they have a 4inch fur for special orders... I believe it's called '4 inch grey' which is a little boring IMO. The yellow is called 'Monsanto Gold' which is very exciting!

Simon,

London.

I dont understand what reflections?

You might have a night scene in front of a house with windows, or by a car, or some set with glass walls . Depending on the shot and lens (depth of field), the mic can be in the reflection but remain unseen to the audience, allowing the boom operator to be in a better position. If a zeppelin is required due to wind, a black windjammer might be easier to "hide" in frame than a gray one.

Simon,

London.

Now THAT is something I would be concerned with and exactly why I posed the question. Looking at the first two images I posted of the standard grey and the black WindJammer, the standard grey does seem to have slightly longer hair than the black one. So the question now is, how much of a difference in performance will there be between the two? Is it negligible? Is it enough that I should be keeping the longer haired grey? Man, why wouldnt they make them all the same length so it didnt matter?! At $175 a pop they should all be created equal with just the different color schemes.

Now THAT is something I would be concerned with and exactly why I posed the question. Looking at the first two images I posted of the standard grey and the black WindJammer, the standard grey does seem to have slightly longer hair than the black one. So the question now is, how much of a difference in performance will there be between the two? Is it negligible? Is it enough that I should be keeping the longer haired grey? Man, why wouldnt they make them all the same length so it didnt matter?! At $175 a pop they should all be created equal with just the different color schemes.

I've also been thinking about getting a black fur for my Rycote kit 4 and I find myself hesitating for the very same reasons. Having a black fur would help me a great deal on this "No re-takes"-reallity show I'm doing where we shoot mostly during the night. But I don't want a windjammer of lesser quallity as a result.