What's the best mp3 transcription recorder

Rob Lewis

I currently have the Microtrack as my transcript recorder, which works fine as long as I am stationary and plugged into AC power.  It sucks for on the run transcripts because of battery life.  I use on of theose energizer cell phone chargers to continuiously supply power on the run, but when In record pause for a lengthy period of time It went into charge mode and I lost a recording in the process of moving locations.

I looked at the Edirol R-09.  Interal AA batteries are the best for ENG bag work, but the unit seems very fragile for the rigors of bag work. I see here some have mentioned the line in jack breaking !!  Can this unit stand up to field bag work ?

The Zoom recorder looks like a good option except for the size !

The Marantz PMD 660 seems like a good unit !

The New Korg Recorder has an internal hard drive, seperate inputs for each channel, but has an internal rechargable battery, and is expensive !!

Any opinions ?

I looked at the Edirol R-09.  Interal AA batteries are the best for ENG bag work, but the unit seems very fragile for the rigors of bag work. I see here some have mentioned the line in jack breaking !!  Can this unit stand up to field bag work ?

I have the Edirol R-09 but I do not use it in a bag or for bag-type work. It performs very well, long battery life, and as you point out, disposable AA's which is very important. It is a little fragile and I have heard reports of the mini-jack breaking, but I think if you used a high quality right angle mini plug (like the sort found on patch cords that are available at RadioShack surprisingly) it would reduce the chance of the plug breaking the jack.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

I'm one of those here who mentioned having the line input jack break (I got a warranty replacement).

Having said that, I like this unit a lot.  One of its biggest downsides (not rugged) is also one of its greatest upsides (adds practically NO weight) for bag work.

Recommendations:  Use a really light weight cable (with a right angle jack, as Jeff recommended, is even better).  The movement of a heavy duty stiff cable could exert enough force to break the line in jack.

One downside for bag work is that the controls are on the front so, in my case, I pull it part way out of the bag and lay it across the top to access the controls easily.  I generally only use it for things like sit-down interviews, DAT backup, etc. and seldom during run-n-gun.

I like the way the Record-Ready and Record functions work.  With the bright red light either flashing or full-on, there is no question which mode its in.

It's a really nice unit.  You needn't be leery about buying one, just be careful with it.

John Blankenship, C.A.S.

I also had an R09 line jack break and Roland replaced the unit with no questions asked.

I agree with everything John and Jeff says about this recorder and would like to add that the built-in

stereo mic is a great bonus to have in such a small device.

Any comments on the quality of the stereo mic?

Any comments on the quality of the stereo mic?

I did a quick sort of verite recording with the built in stereo mics just walking around the set, listening to people work and talk, and on playback it was quite amazing. Of course, the best part was that it was STEREO, and as we all know, a stereo recording made with even not terribly good microphones will souind much better than a mono recording with a better mic. I then did a little recording of one of our crew members sitting behin the lighting board playing his guitar and harmonica. While wearing headphones I moved the R-09 around "mixing" his voice in relation to the guitar and so forth. Upon playback, this was a very pleasant and honest recording.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

It seems that any recorder with a mini input does not like time code on one channel. It bleeds terribly (very messy). Does this general statement seem accurate?

Yes, it is generally accurate because the presence of a mini jack (consumer, non-pro connector) most probably means analog input circuitry behind it which does not have sufficient crosstalk spec to lessen or prevent bleed. SMPTE timecode is very insidious audio if inserted into one input can cross talk to adjacent inputs very easily. Timecode fed into a Cooper input can bleed through to adjacent inputs but kept to a sufficiently low level (TC level) there may well be enough isolation --- not so with a $300. recoorder with a "stereo mini jack."

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

• 2 months later...

Is a Peter Engh TransCode still helpful with the mp3 recorders?  It looks like it should work the same.  I had to borrow a cassette recorder/TransCode for a HBO Boxing shoot today and the producer didn't know if they could take mp3 files.  I also had my iRiver ihp-120 with me but didn't have time to test it with the TransCode unit.

David 

The R09 I agree seems flimsy and the battery door needs careful use not to break it, but having used mine a lot in the bag (with right angle jack plugs) I havn't broken it yet and its much tougher than I thought. I like the fact that its very easy to pause/restart recordings without starting a new file (my 744T can't do that!) and that for it's performance/metering/control it's very light. (my bags plenty heavy enough already) I've relabelled the controls - input level / output level on the front of mine as the black on black labelling on the sides is not so clever. SD cards are getting cheaper and cheaper! But there's no MP3 player style remote control which would be useful which means you do have to get at the front panel.

A friend just got back from a very long hellish doco shoot in Africa, with all that that implies.  He used two R09s all the time--one as backup for a wireless audio feed to camera and the other as a handheld "grab" recorder for stereo ambiences and fx.  Both are still working--I got to examine them myself.  He said they worked out great for him in many dicey situations.

Philip Perkins

• 2 weeks later...

R-9 has been very good for me for over a year...just be carful with the mini jack.  the zoom H2 is working quite well for a friend of mine, but NO pause button.  That makes for very long files or new files with every camera change...not something the transcription house likes!!!!

Tom...are you using the FR-2LE for transcription purposes?  Only drawback I see by reading the specs is that it records .mp3 @192kps!  The transcription houses like the files to be as small as possible for easier uploading.  I run the R-09 at 64kps and have not had a complaint about file size.  I would like to think I can record at whatever sample rate, go home, downconvert to a respectable rate and then upload.  The reality is that I am being asked to upload transcriptions at lunch, so if I have to drag out the laptop, downconvert, rename the file, log on, upload, etc, where will I find time to eat.  I do like the looks and build of the LE a lot..........cleve

Tom...are you using the FR-2LE for transcription purposes?  Only drawback I see by reading the specs is that it records .mp3 @192kps!  The transcription houses like the files to be as small as possible for easier uploading.  I run the R-09 at 64kps and have not had a complaint about file size.  I would like to think I can record at whatever sample rate, go home, downconvert to a respectable rate and then upload.  The reality is that I am being asked to upload transcriptions at lunch, so if I have to drag out the laptop, downconvert, rename the file, log on, upload, etc, where will I find time to eat.  I do like the looks and build of the LE a lot..........cleve

I have not used it for transcription. In fact, I've never been asked to record a transcription copy for anything except the Variety Screening series. I use boom recorder for that, so I just tell it to make a second file for that. I have used the LE for production on a pilot. It also records WAV files at 24/96KHz, and I was happy with the results. I ran 2 lectros through a 442 into the LE, and I couldn't tell the difference between that recording and Boom Recorder. It also has good battery life off of the internal 4xAA batteries. I have only used procells in it, no rechargeables yet.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...