? about the outputs on SD 552

Tom Maloney

Hi All,

I need some help with the outputs on my 552 please

I had a cable built to feed from the tape out on the 552 ( TA3M ) to a Comtek 1/8 mini stereo plug with a mono output. This cable works fine no problems with the tape out.

Now I would like to feed a 2nd Comtek with a feed for a boom op.

I was thinking of using a direct out.

So I tried the TAM3 L and R outputs and a direct output with the same cable

It only works when I insert the cable half way and then cuts out when the connector locks into the 552

Looking at the connector pin assignments I see the only difference in tape out and L and R outputs is pin 3= float ( no connect ) Is this my problem ?

Thanks for any info before I have a another cable made

Tom

The cable you had made to use with the TA3 tape out may have a summing circuit built in which would make it incompatible with the other TA3 outputs. (http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/mixers/302/302-tech-note-adding-a-mono-mic-level-output/)

Using this cable on a normal balanced TA3 Line out would result in the two sides canceling each other out.

I would also have a look at the 552 manual, you may be interested in the talk-back capabilities of the 552. Essentially it allows you to send the boom op a different mix out the 3.5mm headphone connector. It also allows you to talk with them via the slate mic. This might work perfectly for what you're trying to do.

Good luck!

You can also use the unbalanced stereo 1/8" tape out for Comteks -- I sum them to mono if I'm doing a 2-track mix. The flexible array of output mix possibilities on the 552 were a big selling point for me.

If I needed a pre-fader feed for a boom op, I would use one of the TA3 direct out jacks on the left side.