early video assist

Jeff Wexler

on "Postman" again, Sven Nykvist (wonderful DP and wonderful human being) look at Sony television sitting on a funky cart. This was the early days of video assist (no, not the really early Jerry Lewis system) and was being done by Louis Mahler who pioneered video assist systems for Hal Ashby, Bob Rafaelson and others.

post-1-130815073682_thumb.jpg

Guest repete86

Sven Nykvist is such an amazing DP.  I would love to work with him someday, but unfortunately I doubt it will happen since I'[m very young and he's very old.  I know that this isn't the right forum for this, but bringing up Sven Nykvist reminds me.  Do you have any idea how they recorded the opening shot for Tarkovsky's The Sacrifice?  It's been bugging me ever since I saw it.  In the opening shot, the two actors are about 300-400 feet from the camera, and they're setting up a tree.  They slowly start to move across the frame and the camera tracks along as they get closer to where the camera is about 20 feet from them.  I was looking at it carefully, and I don't think that they did any ADR for it.  Any idea how they would record something that long?