photos uploading upside-down?

taylormadeaudio

Hi Jeff,

I've been experiencing a strange phenomenon with photos when I upload them into posts... they all come in upside-down. They sit on my desktop and in iPhoto properly oriented, but lately, every photo I've tried to upload will initially come in upside-down. I rotate it on my desktop, re-import it, and it's upside-down again... I then rotate it back to its original position, re-import again, and it's fine... I can't seem to figure out any kind of rhyme or reason to it except that there is possibly some kind of embedded metadata that makes the upload engine re-orient the photo based on what it thinks is the top? Any ideas?

~tom taylor

post-379-0-48340000-1326386909.jpg

Thanks Greg,

I appreciate the 'tip'... obviously, saving a file after making changes helps -- and is frequently overlooked by even the most thorough of folks... this however seems to be a problem with how the original file is 'interpreted'... if I recall correctly, these are all photos I've taken with my iPhone... and being left-handed, I usually have the 'trigger' on the left side... it shows up in my photo albums (phone and iPhoto) correctly, but I'm beginning to think there might be some kind of metadata (for lack of a better term?) that is embedded into the photos profile that causes it to upload (at least here on the JWSound site) upside-down.

I did find that if I open the picture in Preview, rotate it once in either direction, then back again, save the file (thanks again for your tip) then it uploads correctly. I'll try to take some other photos with the 'trigger' button on the right and see what happens.

~tt

Hey Tom,

This was happening to me as well, and as I understand it, the "fault" is contested...

https://discussions....tart=0&tstart=0

I do a cheap work around, "grabbing" my photos (after correctly re-orienting them) with "Grab" on my Mac since I dont do any Hi-Res photography.

Once they're grabbed, they upload fine.

HTH

Steven

PS Thanks for all your insightful and entertaining posts brother.

test2.tiff

Thanks Steven,

That's an interesting thread. My suspicions were correct. Now that I understand why this has happened, it's more interesting than annoying. I wonder how it will all shake out.

Yeah, it's good for one to know his/her posts have value to someone -- sometimes I wonder... I go off topic a lot, and/or comment simply for humor's sake -- a lot more than I probably should... just can't resist sometimes...

Thanks though : )

~tt

...and now - i am very curious about using a hush lav in conjunction with an rm. never thought of that.

Yeah Greg, I just thought I'd try it out one day and see if it made a difference... either it actually did, or we just perceived it that way, but I actually use this rig pretty extensively now -- kinda seems to offer the best of both worlds. I'd love to know if anyone else winds up adopting / adapting it.

~tt