Denecke TimeCode ToolBox

The movie slate website actually did some tests with the Movie Slate App that they say yielded identical timecode with a Deneke slate after 5 hours so it appears that accurate results can be accomplished. Trew tested it too with results of <2 in 2 hours.

All I was hoping for was a way to jam the Deneke app so I could remotely flash it to a few cameras right after I jammed it from my bag, an easy way to show timecode to multiple cameras that don't have a timecode in option.

(null)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The movie slate website actually did some tests with the Movie Slate App that they say yielded identical timecode with a Deneke slate after 5 hours so it appears that accurate results can be accomplished. Trew tested it too with results of <2 in 2 hours.

All I was hoping for was a way to jam the Deneke app so I could remotely flash it to a few cameras right after I jammed it from my bag, an easy way to show timecode to multiple cameras that don't have a timecode in option.

(null)

Well, if you jammed it, flashed it in front of the cameras, and then jammed it every hour or so to keep it accurate you could....but would you want to??

I can see it being useful in a bag-DSLR-run and gun type situation, just like how the Nomad has a TC slate built in. Jam the Iphone, show it to the cameras, leave it in the bag jammed up etc...

Well, if you jammed it, flashed it in front of the cameras, and then jammed it every hour or so to keep it accurate you could....but would you want to??

I can see it being useful in a bag-DSLR-run and gun type situation, just like how the Nomad has a TC slate built in. Jam the Iphone, show it to the cameras, leave it in the bag jammed up etc...

That's exactly why I would want to use it, that and for all the Go-Pro's that are being used these days.

• 2 months later...

Well, if you jammed it, flashed it in front of the cameras, and then jammed it every hour or so to keep it accurate you could....but would you want to?? I can see it being useful in a bag-DSLR-run and gun type situation, just like how the Nomad has a TC slate built in. Jam the Iphone, show it to the cameras, leave it in the bag jammed up etc...

This would be really useful for GoPro cameras. Much easier to hold up an iPod touch than hold your whole Nomad up in a bag so a mounted GoPro can see it. Much cheaper, and smaller, than a slate and probably "good enough" for most situations. I did a show last year that constantly used a few GoPros mounted in cars etc and production considered buying an iPod touch for us just to use some sort of slate/TC app. Even a way to sync the possible 3 cameras in one car (that pointed in different directions).

Well, for stuff like that I can see the appeal. I've actually used it once for interviews on the street with 2 7D's. Just had the iPhone permanently jammed to the 744 and at the end of each clip the ops would spin round and shoot my phone (clipped to a chest strap) for a few seconds. Don't know if they used it, as they also had g3's going to them (plural eyes).

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to report a bad bug of some sort. Since updating iPhone software to 5.1.1 I'm getting a lot of errors when jamming from an outside source. The signal seems to cut out randomly "no signal" then rejams for a few seconds, over and over. Using the same outboard equipment with my itouch which has not been updated yet, everything works great.

I would like to report a bad bug of some sort. Since updating iPhone software to 5.1.1 I'm getting a lot of errors when jamming from an outside source. The signal seems to cut out randomly "no signal" then rejams for a few seconds, over and over. Using the same outboard equipment with my itouch which has not been updated yet, everything works great.

Thanks Zack,

We'll look into it.

• 1 month later...

I'm having similar problems to Charlie and Chiris in their posts. The App is not taking constant or correct TC from 788 on the iPhone but it works fine with iPad. The iPhone app seems to receive an intermittent signal then shows "no signal." But even when the signal is strong it does not display correct TC on the iPhone app. The app seems to have a problem staying connected to the iPhone.

Works great on the iPad.

I have current firmware (5.1.1) for iPhone and iPad and latest firmware for 788T (2.18)

• 6 months later...

Hey Charlie! Thanks for teaching me how to calibrate all of the Denecke clocks. Over my lunch break on set I've got all eight of mine tuned in and they are all right around 1/10 of a frame drift over 6 hours now! I think that will do..

Regarding the timecode app for the phone, a few years back a friend and I had figured out how to generate very accurate LTC using our macbooks. It was frame accurate over the 6 hour tests I ran and should work on any intel mac. Maybe this could be adapted for IOS?

Hey Charlie! Thanks for teaching me how to calibrate all of the Denecke clocks. Over my lunch break on set I've got all eight of mine tuned in and they are all right around 1/10 of a frame drift over 6 hours now! I think that will do..

Regarding the timecode app for the phone, a few years back a friend and I had figured out how to generate very accurate LTC using our macbooks. It was frame accurate over the 6 hour tests I ran and should work on any intel mac. Maybe this could be adapted for IOS?

Charlie,

Not to hijack this thread but would you mind sharing the calibration process of the Denecke timecode system? Possibly in a new thread? I am familiar with "tuning" my ambient gear and was not aware that Denecke has a similar system.

Thanks

Eric

• 2 months later...