Staying Dry (interesting invention "Neverwet")

Colin Heath

I saw this product on the internet and i said to myself, Wow thats pretty neat. Thinking how we could use it for film production. I think lots of ways. Now I do not know the pricing on this, so it may be super expensive(more than likely) But its also something worth sharing.

It comes(or will come) in a paint and spray on version.

Rumors are the inventor coated his phone in it and left it under water. Now i dont know how thats possible most phones have an headphone jack of some sort, and if underwater i think would cause some damage to that let alone the power plug. but hey like i said the "rumor"

Maybe Microphone companies will coat the metal housing of the mics to help repel water. or Cables that are coated in this to keep cleaner. Or spray the boom operators shoes so his feet dont get wet.

I can see it now, the boom operators clothes are coated with this stuff during a rain scene, and every one notices how the boom operator is completely dry. Magic, Ha

Or rant or rave if you must.

http://www.neverwet.com/index.php

http://gajitz.com/superhydrophobic-coating-will-keep-the-world-clean-dry/

Actually, there were at least 3 exhibitors showing (and actually demonstrating!) variations on this technology at the CES show, and at least two of them are targeting the manufacture, rather than the actual consumers who buy the products. (Rado failed to mention that LiquiPel is offering 1 day turn-around and also 30% discount this month !)

Like using Gorilla Glass on displays, this is a significant protection that manufacturers can provide as part of the manufacturing of their products, but of course it will contribute to the products costs; it seems it will also be available as an after market option for those who want to send in their equipment for the aplication of the process. It reminds me of waaaaay back when I was buying a car back in the cold northeast, and we had the option of applying "indercoating" to the car (done either by the dealer, or by an undercoating company) as protection against all the corrosion possibilities from, primarily, winter driving.. It also reminds me of periodically waxing a car, to protect the finish

My other observation is that it might not be 100% perfect, but it could be an effective and worthwhile option.

one source is ARIDION at www.p2i.com/aridion

Couple other CES items, both thru 31 Jan:

Monster (yes, that Monster) is offering VIP access (10% discount, IIRC) to their accomodation store at www.monstercable.com/vip

login: imhookedup

password: musicmatters

Otter:

www.otterbox.com

coupon code: CES2012

10% discount + free ship

Waterblock HzO www.hzoinside.com

Liquipel www.Liquipel.com

2911 Tech Center Dr.

Santa Ana CA 92705

1-85-Liquipel

VIP Pass for 1 treatment at 30% off (until 15 March)

30ces2012

LOKSAK

(cases)

"ShieldSAK (an RF resistant package for smartphones)

was made in USA, exclusively for US Military, blocks RG, IR, and scan technologies,

Protects cell/smart phones, and passports.

www.loksak.com

800-355-1126

While the ShieldSAK is designed to enclose items to protect them from RF, I expect it could be used effectively placed amongst and between items radiating RF to reduce "RF spray" we are encountering. We could probably place RF mic's (TX's or RX's inside a ShieldSAK with just the antenna protruding.

EVAPdry "first aid for your wet tech...

silica/rice alternative ?

www.EVAPdry.com

"Linda Kennedy is the President of LOKSAK, the woman-owned small business that manufacturers the element-proof aLOKSAK transport and storage bags that will protect your valuables from just about anything except bullets.

These aren't the same little baggies you can pick up at the grocery store for your sandwiches.

Patented with a leakproof, airtight seal, aLOKSAK bags have been certified by Scuba Schools International, who left cell phones in the bags for two weeks under 200 feet of water.

When you come up to LOKSAK's booth, the first thing you'll notice are the cell phones submerged in fish tanks with their phone numbers posted on the glass. I got a kick out of watching the phone light up underwater when I gave it a call."

• 3 years later...

Unearthing an old thread for updates (since it's been a few years) from soundies here, regarding their successes and fails with these products. Which have you guys used? I live and work around a lot of moisture, sweat, watery environs, and sandwich baggies. I'm especially interested in those products that spray on (and I don't really feel like undercoating my SMV's).

In was excited about never set to, especially after the cool videos... However it seems it will likely destroy anything you put it on after keeping it dry for a short period of time... Below is just one article on it...

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2013/07/neverwet_review_the_water_repelling_spray_is_no_miracle_product.html