Ambient Lockits and multicamera Sync

Manel

Hi. On the shoot we are doing at the moment, we had a drifting problem when using Ambient Lockits (the red ones). We were using LTC code and a master clock to jam 4 clocks.

We were getting reports form post that the cameras were drifting 2 to 8 frames per day. Checked all the settings on the clocks and were correct.

We tried using ASCII code and the IR option for the Jam, It works. Solid as a rock and easier to Jam Convenient as we don't have to take the clock out form a steadycam rig and re-balance, for instance.

I hope it helps other people that face similar problems.

It is very easy to tell if your lockits are staying in sync after a couple of hours hold all your lockits together and if they all still flash at the the same time they are still in sync.I have only ever had one that was loosing sync sent it back and got it repaired.I always use Gen Lock I really can not see the point in not using it.

Best John

Hi Manel, I'm curious what cameras were involved. Were they getting tri-level sync (genlock) as well as TC? Also was the TC drifting over time or a fixed offset for each camera that changed each day (like you get with multiple REDs). It seems strange that just changing the way you jammed the Lockits from the master controller would affect stability of the Lockits from then on (which is how I understand your post).

nick

Red cameras, no genlock. We used the same Red one, not exactly the same but Red One last year with AATON clocks and never had a problem. Im not sure about the daily offset, will ask post about it. I think they are too busy to give us an exact answer...

I didn't know about the offset drift on Reds.

John, we can compare the TCs from the clocks on the Master clock, so there is no need of looking at flashing lights.

I know Phil, something must be wrong, but the switches on the clocks are correct, and since they are not mine, but rented from the camera shop, we have to trust they are in good working condition... Honestly, I don't want to get too involved either because I would be the one held accountable and I have nothing to do with the hire of that equipment...