Jump to content

Matthew Steel

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Matthew Steel

  • Rank
    Hero Member

Profile Information

  • Location
  • About
    Live sound and recording for higher education
  • Interested in Sound for Picture

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Looks like we have a couple of winners...https://www.lectrosonics.com/lectrosonics-introduces-the-dchr-miniature-stereo-digital-receiver.html
  2. 940MHz SMWB and 940MHz SMDWB were certified in July. Have they been announced?
  3. If she is that good, then it makes the audio mixer/editor's job easy. If she's not, then there is still the possibility of a lot of tedious editing to get all the audio lined up to the picture....
  4. Also places like Tai Audio, Trew Audio, Location Sound will either consign or outright purchase gear. I'm not sure whether they are still accepting 600MHz stuff, but I still see it listed at least some of those places.
  5. I have run Wireless Designer over LAN using a Raspberry Pi. The USB in the Venue Racks uses a standard FTDI USB/serial chip. So it "is" a USB serial port. The Linux USB/serial driver, on the other hand, does not recognize the USB VID/PID combination. I had to write a udev rule to tell the kernel to use the standard FTDI driver. Once you have the driver set up and you have the Venue working as a usb/serial device, you can use a program called ser2net to present it as a TCP device. Wireless Designer can then connect to it over the network without any additional hardwa
  6. If it's not a DPR(A) digital plug-on transmitter with recording capability, then I have no idea what it it is.
  7. Pretty cool for a 14 year old product. My first thought was that it was new today, but alas. So far I see no new unbelievably cool products announced today. @LarryF @Gordonmoore1? And, sorry in advance for potentially derailing the thread....
  8. If you are wanting to check a stereo mix for phase compatibility, etc. then a simple mono sum capability should be sufficient and you would not need a separate speaker. This is a standard capability for most live and studio mixers I have used. The essence is that the monitor controller (or section on whatever mixer) sums L and R and applies the sum to both speakers whenever the mono function is engaged. So you have a mono mix, but it is coming out of two speakers and you get a "phantom center" image. I have never used the Big Knob but it has a mono button and I would expect that
  9. First computer I remember using was a Timex Sinclair 1000. My dad bought it on clearance at K-Mart. It lived on our dining room table for a while until my mom got sick of that. The computer then moved to the room I shared with my brother and essentially became our toy. I believe my dad rigged it up with a second memory expansion module for 32k of RAM. My dad then proceeded to get a Kaypro which (unlike the Timex Sinclair 1000) could easily do real work.
  10. Thanks very much @LarryF for your comments. I will try not to be a worry wart. On the receiver side it (almost) impossible for talent to get within 10 feet of any of our antennas, and anyway the multicouplers are all Lectrosonics VRMWB either in a short chain or fed from a UMC16b. On the transmitter side it sounds like we should be fine under almost all circumstances. We are not operating out of a bag. In the theater-like scenarios where we see our largest channel counts it does seem like there is a chance talent could get that close. I will have to keep that in min
  11. I have encountered a situation in my RF coordination that seems just at the edge of my knowledge and I'm hoping some of the Lectrosonics RF gurus that frequent the forum can chime in on whether I'm understanding the situation correctly. And whether I should be concerned. I'll try to be succinct but this might be a bit long, sorry. What sparked the question is this: I use Shure's Wireless Workbench software to calculate coordinated frequency sets for the various wireless systems used on our campus. A portion of that equipment is Lectrosonics, and I can connect to that equipment
  12. Others have answered but here is one more personal experience to add to the pot. I once ran a musical theater show where I used a single pair of SNA600 antennas to feed 38 UHF receivers spanning blocks 470-26. In that case I believe the SNA600s were fully extended so the block 24-26 stuff was outside the frequency range Larry mentioned. It still performed flawlessly.
  13. Seems like they solved this issue shortly after dinosaurs roamed the earth so if it got unsolved in a new model then somebody dropped the ball... https://www.lectrosonics.com/Support/component/com_fsf/Itemid,714/tag,Wireless, 48, phantom power, damage, receiver/view,faq/
  14. Might be worth a call to Lectro to see what their current wiring recommendations are. I found this note in my files (I know this is a different mic, but the principle of different opinions on wiring is a valid possibility): Sept 16, 2011 Talked with Rene (ext 171) at Lectrosonics because Countryman E6 mics were noisy on new UM400a transmitters. He said that the documents on the web showed the wiring recommended by Countryman, but that there in the Lectrosonics shop they prefer a different wiring: TA5F Wire Pin 1 Shield Pin 2 Jump to 4 Pin 3 White (or g
  15. I have done some tests on used batteries like that. I put them in an SMa transmitter and logged the battery voltage on a Venue rack until the transmitter died. If memory serves, the battery indicators in both the SMa and Venue seemed to be based entirely on battery voltage. I was not able to come up with any consistent relationship between initial battery voltage and life expectancy. Here is the graph. Vertical scale is battery voltage. Horizontal is minutes. For reference we usually got 4-4.5 hours (so 240-300 minutes) on a brand new lithium in the SMa.
  • Create New...