Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'beginner'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Main Board
    • Current
    • The Daily Journal
    • General Discussion
    • Equipment
    • Cameras... love them, hate them
    • Recording Direct to Computer
    • Workflow
    • The Post Place
    • Images of Interest
    • Macs... and the other computer
    • All Things Apple
    • Technical Reference
    • Do It Yourself
    • Manufacturers & Dealers
    • Work Available - Available for Work
    • Post to the Host
    • Donate to Support JWSOUNDGROUP

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start





Website URL








Found 3 results

  1. Hi All! Recently been in the market for a mic for my small 10x12 bedroom studio (carpet floor, bed, and wooden shelves in the space). I'll be recording it into a Tascam DR60 dmkii. You could describe my voice as dark/bassy with not a lot of articulation in the mid range: https://soundcloud.com/herpinand-derpin/voice-007/s-JHkrcqYQOxQ Recorded on a Rode Smart Lav + I'm trying to find something that makes me sound clearer, yet is warm and comfortable to hear for long periods of time. But I am open to a flat/less colored mic if its generally better for my voice. The format is in video, but I'd like it to have that podcast quality. I've looked into the SM57 and Senn E835 but don't like how close I have to be to them. The At 2035 was another consideration but I worry it'll pick up background noise. Small Condensor Mics like the Oktava Mk012 with the Cardioid capsule was looked into since films use it for indoor shoots, however I can't find any information if they are appropriate in a untreated environment, and how sensitive they are to picking up noise from the room across from me (thin walls). My current approach is to compare the frequency charts of all the mics I've mentioned so far. This has landed me on the EV RE320 which seems like what I need for spoken word, and future voice overs if I pursue it. Anyone have suggestions on whether this mic is appropriate for my voice and environment? Open to other suggestions as well. Thanks all in advance for your helpful insights. The more I look into the audio the more confusing it gets, but I'm willing to learn.
  2. Hi Soundies:) I am new to location sound(I have only been doing small commercials and TV shows in Tokyo for a couple of years). Recently moved to Australia and looking to get my foot in the industry. How do i go about becoming an assistant sound or PA for a production? I will probably still continue doing small indie projects myself but I really want to learn from seasoned sound mixers. Is sending emails to local sound mixers an legit option? I am bit worried about coming off desperate and potentially burning bridges. I know there are so many possible ways to get your start but I would love to hear how you guys got your start in location sound:))
  3. Okay, so i m a "sound guy" from a very small country called Uruguay (we´re 3 millions). I´m trying to step out into the sound world/work, but we do not have gigantic productions where one can start from the bottom and learn with the pros the way up. So sometimes its difficult to be calling yourself a "sound mixer" when actually i m learning the job as i take the gigs. These forums and other web are 49% of the help one needs, the other 51% is in the field. What i intend with this thread is to see if there are others in the same position and want to share experiences. I tend to read and search a lot in jwsound and i know most of the times the things i m looking for are in here, but not always is easy to find the correct thread. So it would be nice also copy/paste threads that you find interesting for beginners. I found the other day this guy on the web and i loved his blog http://soundrolling.com/technical-sound-blog/
  • Create New...