Lectrosonics SMV pouch/clip recommendations

Matt Geldof

I am finally getting around to replacing most of my UM400a's with SMV's and was wondering what folks out there are using to attach them to talent. I have rented them plenty of times. They usually come with the leather pouches which protect, but are bulky. Seems counter intuitive for most applications especially for something that was designed to be small and easy to hide on talent. At the moment I am thinking wire upward facing belt clips for quick attachment and neo straps when they need to be hidden under shirt or pant leg. What has worked best for you in the variety of environments with the multitude of challenges we face.

Yep. Neopax.

Different versions for different sizes.

+1.

Neopax are great! I've had other brands and talent are very quick to whip them off as soon as possible, but Neopax seem to be comfortable enough that people forget that they're wearing them.

As Boomboom said get a few sizes... Large size one is great for big fellas, and a couple of thigh ones are great if a woman is wearing a tight dress or skirt...

Cheers,

Rich

Lectrosonics is working thumbscrews into their clips so they can be quickly removed without an Allen key. On corporate type jobs I usually have the spring clip (like your UM). For films, I use the wire clip, or a neopax depending on the wardrobe situation.

For the record, my SMv and SMQv TXs all came with a leather pouch and the spring clip. Add some Neopax and you should be good to go from the start. I've never use the leather pouches to be honest. They add bulk to such a small product. I guess it protects them from scratches though. I kind of hate when rentals only include them. I understand the rental house protecting their gear, but it makes a SMQv as bulky as a UM400, and hides the beautiful industrial design.

I think the leather cases can be useful if you have a simple sit-down situation, can secure it to a piece of furniture, or an actor can drop the SM into his or her coat pocket. The elastic wraps are a lot more effective when you have to bury the xmitter under clothing, in the small of someone's back, or in some other secure area.

I have all 3 types leather pouch big blue clip and wire clip plus neopax and I can't use wire clip they are too loose don't stay on belts or waistbands the only bit of lectro kit I am dissapointed with..having just bought x4 of them..I tend to use either leather pouch under suits etc or otherwise neopax.wonder if there is an.adjustment for the wire clip to have more pressure on waistband etc wish they would grip like um or lm wire clip...Richard

What's the general feeling about the wire clips? Do they need more grip? More friction?

Thanks for input,

Larry F

Lectro

I have all 3 types leather pouch big blue clip and wire clip plus neopax and I can't use wire clip they are too loose don't stay on belts or waistbands the only bit of lectro kit I am dissapointed with..having just bought x4 of them..I tend to use either leather pouch under suits etc or otherwise neopax.wonder if there is an.adjustment for the wire clip to have more pressure on waistband etc wish they would grip like um or lm wire clip...Richard

Hello Larry thanks my 4x wire clips are brand new I used them for a couple of days and they were falling off when someone sat down etc this was on thin waist bands skirts etc but even on a leather belt wouldn't stay on compared to leather pouch if Someone bent down etc..I will go back and try them again and take pic of problem..maybe with the heat pad attached there is more grip..thanks..Richard

I use the wire clips often, typically on bras and thicker belts. Works most of the time. Biggest issue I think is that they don't make contact with the SMx. There's such a large gap that there can't be any tension to hold onto the clothing. It becomes the biggest issue for me when talent has to sit down and stand up a few times. It'll just pop right off.

The wire clip should be contacting the case with some tension. I think the wire is yielding. A short term cure is to remove the clip and rotate it 180 degrees so the clip is pointing up away from the case. Then reset the lock screws in the case dimples for security.Now you can bend the wire inward until it remains about a 1/4 of an inch more inward than when you started out. Doing it this way allows you to use the case as a lever rather than putting the clip in a vise and scratching it. Rotate the clip 180 back to the normal mounting position and now you should have good tension until it is again over-bent on a thick belt or something. Then just rinse and repeat.

Meanwhilst, as the correct solution, we will find a wire that will become much springier after heat treating.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

• 4 weeks later...

My new SMV's arrived a few weeks ago, purchased from a reputable dealer in Florida. I was happy to see that they came with the blue clips instead of the wire along with a bunch of handy stuff like the leather pouches, thumb screws, AA battery clips and TA5 connectors. I happened to have a fellow sound mixer over the day they arrived and we got to talking about how cool it is that the folks at Lectrosonics take the time to include everything to get us started, rather than nickel and dime-ing us.

The Neo - Pax are great. I bought several of each. thanks to everyone for your suggestions and Larry for keeping on top of these posts.