Questions About A Rode NTG-3 (From A Newbie)

OmahaAudio

I cannot afford a MHK416 just yet so a Rode NTG-3 seems to be a decent high(ish) quality alternative (better than a Sennheiser ME66) particularly for outdoor work. Am I correct in thinking this?

Can someone recommend a mic, similar in audio quality to the NTG-3, that would be similar to the Sennheiser ME64 (i.e. cardioid or hyper-cardioid, better for boom work indoors)?

I figure that some will say "get a Schoeps" or such like but that would be, for the moment, not affordable. I'm trying to build up the gear slowly.

Thanks in advance.

The NTG-3 is good, and theres a lot of deals out there to get them at a fair price with some extra goodies.

also theres was a posting on a facebook page for a 416 for around 775. heres the post i saw, not alot of info

Andy-

"my friend just approached me with a used sennheiser 416 in great condition. if your interested FB him. his name is Graham Wiggins. $775 for it.... really good deal"

http://www.facebook....ps/soundmixers/

"I figure that some will say 'get a Schoeps' or such like but that would be, for the moment, not affordable. I'm trying to build up the gear slowly."

The most "Schoeps-like" microphone you can get, one that you can certainly afford, would be an Octava. Look into getting one from The Sound Room.

Do NOT purchase from Guitar Center or off eBay --- you could find yourself with a completely useless microphone.

post-1-0-39190500-1327374245.jpg

$293.00 from The Sound Room

To piggy back on JW's post, you could also look into a modded oktava mic from Michael Joly. http://www.oktavamod.com/

Good suggestion. I have dealt with the Michael Joly mods and they do good work. I'm not convinced it is totally necessary, the mod part, but still good people to deal with (and helpful while trying to avoid Guitar Center, etc.).

Good suggestion. I have dealt with the Michael Joly mods and they do good work. I'm not convinced it is totally necessary, the mod part, but still good people to deal with (and helpful while trying to avoid Guitar Center, etc.).

The Guitar Center doesn't sell new Oktava mics, and hasn't since the "A.S.M." days many years ago. They sell the same mics everyone else does, good bad and indifferent. I don't recommend buying expensive mics from them because you are unlikely to get sales help that knows much, or cares if you are happy with your mic.

The problem with mic (and recorder) after-market mods is that it is often hard to make a real comparative choice between "before" and "after" with your particular gear, and thus are forced to rely on reputation and internet opinion.

phil p

You might be able to get a legit Oktava cheaper at www.oktava-online.com

As for shotguns, I once got a used 416 for like 500 $ and I think I'll never sell it. People sell a lot of NTG3s though. A 416 is always good to have. If you're really low on money then a Rode NTG-1 isn't that bad either. I started like you did some years ago and that were the mics I started and learned with. I would never recommend getting a Schoeps as you're starting out.

NTG-3 lover here! Great entry level (on the pro side) mic with great results.Very comparable sound to an MKH-416 I rented before. Bought an Oktava from the SoundRoom site. First one was DOA, sent it back, and they told me the capsule was bad. Replacement came, and it gave me crazy RF interference in an old house. Sent IT back, and they told me there was nothing wrong with it. Got my money back, because they are a stand-up company. Anyway, my next Hyper will be the AT-4053B.

The Oktava seems to be very prone to handling noise and even air currents (some say) behind the mic. Any suggestions (aside from the Audio-Technica AT4053B) other than the MC012 for a hyper-cardioid suitable for indoor boom work?

AT4053B really does seem to be the only "next step up". I have one though I havent had much of a chance to use it yet. Beyond that it seems most make the jump to the Schoeps CMC641 setup which kicks up price a whole lot more.

In addition to a CS3e, I have an Oktava with Joly mod. I have not put it into action yet but can tell just by testing it is sensitive to handling. From what I've discerned..a Rycote INvision shock mount and a baby ball gag/jammer is a good combination.

NIce to have interchangeable capsules in that price range.

My NTG-3 arrived yesterday and I'm liking it. The metal tube case that Rode supply with is fantastic and might make a fine weapon in years to come...

Yea that storage cylinder is awesome! Keep that even if you sell the NTG-3! I created a thread about it here that you might find interesting:

I posted in a similar thread fairly recently about the Rode NTG-3. I purchased one at christmas last year, thinking much like OmahaAudio seems to be that it would be a good alternative to a more expensive 416. Despite that, I very quickly I bought the Sennheiser about a month later. Now I use the 416 about 95% of the time over the Rode. Do I like the Rode? Yes, it sounds great, but the problem is the Rode simply doesn't have the same off-axis rejection as the 416; it pickups far more from the sides, so it can only be used effectively in a quiet, controlled environment. Then it is beautiful and you get a nice rounded, natural sound. But for most locations I find there is too much noise, and I would never want to use it outside at all.

Now I even use the Rode storage cylinder for my 416 as both mics are the same size!

~Mark.

• 4 years later...

I've owned mine for a couple years now, has never failed me in rain or -40 degree weather shooting in the Arctic.  Great mic but I'd agree with Mark, doesn't have the same rejection as a 416 or a CS3.  Quiet locations it sounds great and has a forgiving pickup pattern for panning between actors. Use it in my kit as my backup now, but great to know in crappy weather it will never crap out.