Slate Velcro lettering

pvanstry

He guys, trying to figure out what to use for making the little Velcro letters/numbers for a slate. Obviously I know about Velcro and vinyl letters stickers but I have seen guys that made their letters with a sort of hard plastic sheet with the Velcro on one side and the letters on the other. Any idea where to find that stuff? What would it be called? What do you guys use?

Thanks

Pascal

In the 80's, a company called Kangaroo Products made a good alternative Nagra shoulder bag (mine was red cordura) - probably the first type of bag that most of us now own made by Porta Brace, Petrol etc.

The front of the case had a large black Velcro patch that could be used for slate ID info using the supplied Velcro numbers. You had strips with numbers silkscreened onto them and if I remember correctly, you had to cut the Velcro strips into tabs and there you were with a set of numbers.

Anyway, I still have mine (kept in a nice plastic16mm splicing tape case).

Maybe Kangaroo Products has a solution for you.

post-52-0-04051100-1327429264.jpg

I was going to try a solution like this as well. My idea was to use the velcro idea but use a Dymo LetraTag which is a little had held label maker. I was going to print out labels with 'SLATE' 'TAKE' 'CARD' 'ROLL' 'SCENE' and so on, and then stick the labels to vecro. Then put the opposite velcro on the face of the slate and a little on the back. This is so the ones not being used can be stored on the back.

I have not done it yet.

I have an old roll of Velcro that has a rigid plastic back so it must be available somewhere. (If I remember correctly this came from either Arri or Panavision Stores) All you would need to do is cut a one inch piece and either use Letteraset or a large Dymo tape number.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.