788t timecode pin

saadasound

Are you telling us they changed the pin-out for lemo connectors on the Epic?

Why on earth would they do that?

RED Epic has a 4-pin Lemo that handles TC in, Genlock, and GPIO trigger.

Why do that? So they can have one small lemo connector that serves three different functions.

It reminded me as well of Sony's penchant for doing things their own way.

-Brian

Correct, the Epic and Scarlet changed to the 4-pin Lemo for TC in and Tri-Level Sync (Genlock) in. If I read the Epic manual correctly, there is no timecode out of the camera (or at least not yet).

I'm baffled as to why they didn't use a BNC plug for Genlock, like they did on the Red One. That's a pretty standard deal, at least with a lot of the cameras I know of.

Adding a bit of an off-topic thought: when you have your manuals in .pdf on your computer, you are able to easily search for words in 'em.

That functionality and their easy access has saved my butt more than once in more than one pinch. My main manuals now also live in my phone.

Don't know how I quickly found information before. Well, our tools were less complex then, but...

-- Jan

Shooting with a red one and 3 EX3s today. The DP says he is awaiting his Epic. I get so mad just looking at my lockit on that camera knowing I've got to make yet another beeping cable when he gets his new rig.

If they wanted genlock in on the Lemo, then they should have kept the 5pin Lemo, and instead of pin 5 being tune, it could have been genlock. This way we could have TC out.

Rrrrraaaaraggfhhrrtttaathpt!

What a bunch dick heads.

It appears that Red wished to keep the size of the Epic down, so they came up with the 4-pin Lemo solution with multiple functions on the same Lemo. The Owner/Operator I worked with said Red's breakout box that is needed to work with this new system is back-ordered by a few months.

So, if the box is a necessary item... you add the box... then the size gets bigger.

Huh?

But, folks, let's don't get all tied up in knots about this. If the camera department doesn't have the proprietary breakout box or special cable necessary, then just consider it the same workflow as a film camera.

I'd rather shoot double system anyway, and it pays better.