Getting Sound onto a Red Epic

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can feed unbalanced as well for scratch track.

On the Epic I worked with last week I could only get balanced wired cable to work while feeding from a comtek. The Menu had no options to changed to balanced like picture earlier in this thread. My friend is getting a epic in the next few weeks so I will do more in depth testing then

Thanks for the clarification. So I guess I can just use the 1/8" balanced cable that comes with the G3 series.

I don't believe the G3 portable receiver's output is balanced.. the G2 IS NOT.

In my experience with the Epic and a G2.. Using the G2's included 1/8" to 1/8" cable. the right angle molded 1/8" stereo end (feeds both channels of a consumer camera or recorder) That cable did not work at all with the epic. I needed to go to a mono T/S 1/8".. unbalanced, that worked OK.

I don't recall seeing any balanced/unbalanced setting in the menu either. Firmware & updates may be different.

Confirming: the 3.5mm locking to 3.5mm r/a stereo that comes with the g3 will not work in balanced or unbalanced (though technically it is an unbalanced cable). The way I have it at the moment is the 3.5mm locking to xlr out of the g3, into an A-box to the Scarlet. The A-box takes a balanced or unbalanced mic level signal and outputs an unbalanced mic level signal.

• 1 month later...

just tested with two epic today:

i made a Y cable for erx1tcd, bnc side is tip and groud, audio feed side to camera is on tip and ground which connected to erx's side on ring and ground .

the tc is locked very nicely,output 0.5v, it follows every time i changed anything from deva,( it doesn't work very well when i used it to a red one camera back to years ago,haven't worked with red one for a long time )

the audio doesn't want to run into the camera from my Y cable ,bal or unbal. no idea why.(input & output is ON) then tried a bal 3.5mm cable still not working.The camera dept provided a xlr input adaptor cable,it works. So i guess is my wiring got bit wrong.

anyway the DOP doesn't want to any audio run into the epic,he believes this will cause issues to the camera,so i only provide tc to camera. And feed audio to the pix240 which is next to the camera. TC through SDI from epic to pix240

"I don't see why the G3 3.5 unbalanced cable will not work"

> The G series unbalanced TRS 3.5mm to 3.5mm is Tip/Ring 'dual mono' 2-channel at the 'camera' end, so the ring and tip short out when tied together in an unbalanced configuration. In that case, a TS plug needs to be used or the ring needs to floated on a TRS plug.

Why Cloud's balanced cable won't work, I don't know, Epic software setting maybe... or just a typical 'Red Moment'.

I'm apoplectic that the $3700 "Pro I/O" box for the Epic still does not provide 4 XLRs (or even 4 TA3) audio inputs to the machine. Not that the majority of Epic owners will buy this option in the first place...

Even with the box, you have to use the non-standard 1/8" balanced connectors on the front of the camera for channels 1&2, and with the adapter, you get XLR in for 3&4 only. And you can't reassign or swap the latter for the former.

I'm flummoxed that a $40,000 camera uses fifty-cent 3.5mm consumer connectors for sound... anywhere. I have no problem with this being used on a $2000 still camera, because it's not a professional product. But for $40,000, I expect a lot more.

• 8 months later...

just to be clear..these 3.5mm inputs labled Mic 1 and Mic 2 are still MONO inputs (just have a choice of balance or unbalanced). Correct?   A client wants to potentially just put a new Rode Stereo Video Mic Pro on this camera.. Would love to give him proper advice..

just to be clear..these 3.5mm inputs labled Mic 1 and Mic 2 are still MONO inputs (just have a choice of balance or unbalanced). Correct?   A client wants to potentially just put a new Rode Stereo Video Mic Pro on this camera.. Would love to give him proper advice..

He can do it, but not with the supplied cable. He would need a female stereo 3.5mm splitting to 2 3.5mm mono unbalanced.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Read this thread - still had problems with the Epic today.

Shooter had the Wooden Camera A Box.

I sent tone from my mixer line level outs at -20dBFS.

Turned Epic's inputs all the way down, and my tone was still slamming through the peak, maxing out the Epic's signal meters.

Any ideas?

Use a mic level feed or put your own pad on the line feed.

philp

Read this thread - still had problems with the Epic today.

Shooter had the Wooden Camera A Box.

I sent tone from my mixer line level outs at -20dBFS.

Turned Epic's inputs all the way down, and my tone was still slamming through the peak, maxing out the Epic's signal meters.

Any ideas?

...Just starting to post and Philip beat me to it. 

As he said:  Send a mic level signal.  Since this has been discussed dozens of times I sometimes wonder if anyone is paying attention.

The only magic that the Wooden Camera A Box is performing is to adapt to a different type of connector.