Getting Sound onto a Red Epic

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the errors these cams used to have, I haven't had problems getting sound into an Epic/Scarlet since their firmware revisions ages ago. I don't even worry about these cameras anymore when running sound to them. Fans are still loud, but even then the firmware updates have helped with that. Unless the camera is on very old firmware, it shouldn't be an issue working with them in my experience.

When one has a mic level out, or when one has the time on these 'run and gun' shoots to source another solution.

If your mixer does not have a switchable mic level out then you should carry a couple of 40db plugin barrel pads. Sorry to say this but you're selling yourself as a pro, you should be prepared for those situations instead of making excuses. 

Eric

I agree with the solution.

However, with a 30lb overflowing mixer bag, and having been assured that we were not putting audio or timecode on camera, one has to draw the line somewhere. I cannot bring the kitchen sink while OMBing.

Small as those barrels are, there is a limit.

(and I am familiar with the term gain staging, but thanks).

I agree with the solution.

However, with a 30lb overflowing mixer bag, and having been assured that we were not putting audio or timecode on camera, one has to draw the line somewhere. I cannot bring the kitchen sink while OMBing.

Small as those barrels are, there is a limit.

(and I am familiar with the term gain staging, but thanks).

They assured you and you believed them. I bet that's a mistake you'll never make again.

Eric

Even with the box, you have to use the non-standard 1/8" balanced connectors on the front of the camera for channels 1&2, and with the adapter, you get XLR in for 3&4 only. And you can't reassign or swap the latter for the former.

Just in the interest of information flow:

I had a shoot with 2 Epics, both having the box attached.

On one, the 'box inputs' indeed only fed channels 3&4.  The DIT said it was common practice for them to remap it during transfer.

The other camera mapped the box inputs to channels 1&2 internally.  Apparently at some firmware version, this is possible.

just done another two months movie with three epic everyday, still use ERX2TCD and a Y cable, tc fine, and audio cable side go into Epic is Unbalanced this time,worked out fine too. Probably it just doesn't take balanced cable.

the biggest issue this time was : the GP I/O control signal is also located on the same connector that tc connector, the steadicam op wasn't happy to do it manually and the rental house didn't provide any pro I/O for the cameras, we lost two days of TC for A cam because the op un-plug the tc cable, then editor showed up on site brought this up to the producer,went a bit ugly but we got the connector for TC at the end.  Another RED design thing.

• 4 months later...

just tested with two epic today:

i made a Y cable for erx1tcd, bnc side is tip and groud, audio feed side to camera is on tip and ground which connected to erx's side on ring and ground .

the tc is locked very nicely,output 0.5v, it follows every time i changed anything from deva,( it doesn't work very well when i used it to a red one camera back to years ago,haven't worked with red one for a long time )

the audio doesn't want to run into the camera from my Y cable ,bal or unbal. no idea why.(input & output is ON) then tried a bal 3.5mm cable still not working.The camera dept provided a xlr input adaptor cable,it works. So i guess is my wiring got bit wrong.

anyway the DOP doesn't want to any audio run into the epic,he believes this will cause issues to the camera,so i only provide tc to camera. And feed audio to the pix240 which is next to the camera. TC through SDI from epic to pix240

I have a similar setup with an erxtcd. I already got a premade split cable that goes bnc for timecode, xlr for audio feed. I want to make a xlr - mini-jack adaptor to feed the Scarlet (we dont have an A-BOX). What would be the proper wiring? Anyone solved this one?

Just in case, I'll prepare some mini-jack > mini-jack plugs just for audio feed. According to previous comments on this thread, the correct  thing would be to use a mono mini-jack (TS), tip +, sleeve ground, right? This should work wuth the ERXtcd or one of my g3's.

• 4 years later...
On 1/26/2012 at 7:44 PM, Loopless said:

I have heard that it is next to impossible to get sound onto a Red Epic. What is the deal with that? Has anyone succeeded? If so, then how did you do it?

I would like to attach a Lectrosonics IFB to the camera, seta level, and walk away. Is that possible ? ?

Somebody suggested that I try this adapter:

http://actionproducts.ch/shop/product_info.php?products_id=157

Action Products Epic Audio Adapter

Hey all you need is an A-box wooden camera sells ones that hook up to red using one of the Lima connections. There’s tons of products to put on your red I’m not a hundred percent sure if you need another attachement to hook the abox into but all the abox is two female xlr  inputs attached to a little Lima type cable from there once your lectro is hooked up just use the touch screen on the red to adjust levels pretty straight forward I. Finding the audio menu start wth the setting and you will find audio and all the other adjustments. I’ve worked with just about every red camera version that has come out to date and know my way around it in regards to audio. Hope that helped