and the other computer...........................

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who thinks this is offensive?

Andy

Looks that way doesn't it? Everyone is entitled to their opinion as to what is offensive to them just as the creator of the picture is entitled show their opinion of what they think Mac users are. Being open minded about an artistic expression usually helps to temper a rush to judgement.

Eric

Eric

Am I the only one who thinks this is offensive?

Andy

I think most would be offended by that and many other words. I didn't see it initially in the poster/picture. It is such a silly/stupid put down I didn't pay much attention to it until now. It's a free country w free speech no matter if it is profound or base. I glad you expressed your feeling and POV.

CrewC

CAn you explain it?

Don"t get it...

Reasonably simple - Firefox and Chrome are struggling to be the most-used browser on the internet, no matter which platform they are used on, there is a version available. Both share similar code structures and security functionality, can be enhanced with small script "extensions" that add lots of interesting features... While Microsoft's browser sits off in the corner needing a helmet and eating paste, both of which are colloquial examples of being "slow" or less advanced than the rest.

Internet Explorer has suffered in this way by a lack of development devoted to security, it is beyond bloated because much of its coding is infact the code of Windows-The-Operating-System... Which opens up even MORE security holes. You are effectively opening your entire computer to the internet when you use that browser. IE needs to have its basic security settings fairly open to properly display much of the internet's websites, which also means if you find a malicious script, that script has almost free access to your computer once it bypasses some very basic protections.

Want proof of this? Look at how many thousands of viruses have been discovered for Windows... And how few for Mac. This isn't just about the operating system either, since IE is BOTH a browser AND an integral part of the operating system, you can never truly turn Internet Explorer off. So as long as a bad script can find a way to be executed on a windows machine, the virus writer knows exactly how it will perform.

Within OSX or Unix (which is the underlying design for OSX) systems, individual programs are NOT part of the operating system, and are capable of being "sandboxed" into their own little memory space. Because of this, system security is much improved at little cost to operating speed or efficiency.

Looks that way doesn't it? Everyone is entitled to their opinion as to what is offensive to them just as the creator of the picture is entitled show their opinion of what they think Mac users are. Being open minded about an artistic expression usually helps to temper a rush to judgement.

Eric

Eric

Open Minded? WTF are you talking about. I am not rushing to judgement. The fact that you are defending your post and will not remove it says to me that you support the offensive slur. I am surprised that it is allowed to be left on this board. Hate speech (gender slurs) should not be allowed here or anywhere.

Andy

Open Minded? WTF are you talking about. I am not rushing to judgement. The fact that you are defending your post and will not remove it says to me that you support the offensive slur. I am surprised that it is allowed to be left on this board. Hate speech (gender slurs) should not be allowed here or anywhere.

Andy

I should remove the post because you find it offensive? What about those who do not find it offensive, shouldn't they have a say also? Your saying that I support offensive slurs is pure conjecture on your part and bears no resemblence to reality. You have no clue as to what I support or don't. Methinks you doth protest too much.

Eric

That picture tells me more about pc users than Mac. Faggots? I highly doubt operating systems have sexual orientations or preferences, and if they do, they'd probably be bisexual, since it's either on or off. I don't think Eric wrote It in there to stir something up. The word was put there because pc users can't stand being beaten by a system that's good looking and just working. Pc users just want to repair, calculate stuff and calling people names.

I would like to mention that my mac freezes exponentially more that my pc

Then something is seriously wrong with your Mac... you should look into that. If your PC ever froze I'm sure you would do all sorts of things to discover why it happened. The Mac, of course, is a pc (personal computer) but is running a far superior and robust operating system than your PC (running Windows) IMHO. If your Mac crashes, ever, determine first if is a software problem OR a hardware problem.

I don't think there is anything wrong with my mac other than just like PC's, it is capable of obtaining virus', registry errors, and has inherent bugs in the software.

People are under the impression that the mac is some sort of magical perfect machine that grants wishes. It is not. It is an overpriced computer built by children for next to nothing with a huge markup and last years processor.

The personification of inanimate objects is nothing new -- humans have been doing this since before recorded history -- an activity that is especially prevalent in children... so I can't help but find this visual "statement" a bit ironic as well as a bit offensive. Stereotypes exist because there's a certain amount of "truth" to whatever the specific stereotype is projecting -- in this case, I see no correlation between a computer [or operating system] and its "sexual orientation" -- a bit childish at the very least, and yes, at worst offensive... certainly not funny. Had the creator of this image omitted the offensive slur in question, then it would have been pretty funny -- and that's coming from a pretty avid Mac user. If we can't poke fun at ourselves, we're doomed. If we can't refrain from perpetuating pointless, harmful, spiteful, offensive, trash like this, then we're equally doomed. Children call names because... well, because they're children -- for an adult (term used loosely) to perpetuate this kind of shit is nothing short of sad.

...just my opinion,

~tt

The personification of inanimate objects is nothing new -- humans have been doing this since before recorded history -- an activity that is especially prevalent in children... so I can't help but find this visual "statement" a bit ironic as well as a bit offensive. Stereotypes exist because there's a certain amount of "truth" to whatever the specific stereotype is projecting -- in this case, I see no correlation between a computer [or operating system] and its "sexual orientation" -- a bit childish at the very least, and yes, at worst offensive... certainly not funny. Had the creator of this image omitted the offensive slur in question, then it would have been pretty funny -- and that's coming from a pretty avid Mac user. If we can't poke fun at ourselves, we're doomed. If we can't refrain from perpetuating pointless, harmful, spiteful, offensive, trash like this, then we're equally doomed. Children call names because... well, because they're children -- for an adult (term used loosely) to perpetuate this kind of shit is nothing short of sad.

...just my opinion,

~tt

People are under the impression that the mac is some sort of magical perfect machine that grants wishes. It is not. It is an overpriced computer built by children for next to nothing with a huge markup and last years processor.

Not me. It's just a computer, built in the same factories that all other computers are built in. The fact that OSX works better for me is the only thing that matters in my decision. I replaced my last Mac when it was 10 years old. I never got more than 4 years out of any Windows box. In my opinion, my Macs actually save me money in the long run.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(unit)

A faggot in the meaning of "bundle" is an archaic English unit applied to various-sized collections of sticks:

1 short faggot of sticks = 2 ft girth × 3 ft long bundle of short wood sticks/billets 1 long faggot of sticks = 2 ft girth × 4 ft long bundle of long wood sticks/billets 1 faggot of iron = 2 ft girth × 1 ft long bundle of iron/steel rods/bars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(slang)

Faggot, often shortened to fag, is a pejorative term and common slur used chiefly in North America against homosexual males.[3] Its pejorative use, broadly meaning a "repellent male",[4] has spread from the United States to varying extents elsewhere in the English-speaking world through mass culture, including movies, music, and the Internet.

I have a cousin who is an aeronautical engineer at Sikorsky, and they don't use Windows or Mac. They use Linux, and he said most places that need to run big sciencey type stuff use Linux. I'm not claiming that the people at CERN use Linux, I'm just saying based on my experience with these types of situations, you may not see a typical operating system, and if you do it's been so heavily customized to work in the way the people need to work it ends up being unrecognizable. Heck...the U.S. Marines bought a bunch of PS3's and ganged them all together with custom software to make a giant supercomputer....out of gaming consoles....

I have a cousin who is an aeronautical engineer at Sikorsky, and they don't use Windows or Mac. They use Linux, and he said most places that need to run big sciencey type stuff use Linux. I'm not claiming that the people at CERN use Linux, I'm just saying based on my experience with these types of situations, you may not see a typical operating system, and if you do it's been so heavily customized to work in the way the people need to work it ends up being unrecognizable. Heck...the U.S. Marines bought a bunch of PS3's and ganged them all together with custom software to make a giant supercomputer....out of gaming consoles....

I've got a friend in Animation who did a similar thing. His animation render farm is a mac pro connected to 6 hacked PS3's. It's a mess, but boy is it fast.

And another interesting note: Upon initial release, each PS3 in existence was tied at the 11th(? I think) most powerful computer in the world, and have since been used by the US military as mentioned above, but also in 2008 by a group of hackers to break the SSL security protocol.