A film I mixed just won top prize at Sundance!

Mark LeBlanc

I just found out Beasts of the Southern Wild just won the grand Jury prize at Sundance this year. It was an interesting shoot to say the least. I got a frantic call from the producers at 9:30 on a Thursday night. There original mixer couldn't make it the next day. I said sure, drove 3 1/2 hrs to what I thought was day play. Day was done, they asked if I could do tomorrow. Well, 2 days turned to 30. I couldn't complete the project due to a prior commitment but can tell you the young star was a sweet little firecracker. Anyway, it took them 2 years to complete and happy for all involved. If you read the interview, checkout the mic in the upper corner! It's one of my favorites and pretty much carried all the interiors.. See if you can identify it..

Mark L

Jury prize

http://www.nctimes.com/entertainment/beasts-of-the-southern-wild-wins-at-sundance/article_17b68c43-be7a-5d02-bfba-6bdf759d0339.html

Interview with the young star

http://www.indiewire.com/article/sundance-futures-beasts-of-the-southern-wild-star-quvenzhane-wallis-is-sundances-pint-size-breakout

I just found out Beasts of the Southern Wild just won the grand Jury prize at Sundance this year. It was an interesting shoot to say the least. I got a frantic call from the producers at 9:30 on a Thursday night. There original mixer couldn't make it the next day. I said sure, drove 3 1/2 hrs to what I thought was day play. Day was done, they asked if I could do tomorrow. Well, 2 days turned to 30. I couldn't complete the project due to a prior commitment but can tell you the young star was a sweet little firecracker. Anyway, it took them 2 years to complete and happy for all involved. If you read the interview,

checkout the mic in the upper corner! It's one of my favorites and pretty much carried all the interiors.. See if you can identify it..

Mark L

Jury prize

http://www.nctimes.c...df759d0339.html

Interview with the young star

http://www.indiewire...t-size-breakout

Strange wavy mount holding the mic or capsule. A Schoeps cardioid capsule or Sennheiser 8040 capsule seperated from the preamp by Colette type cables?

Eric

Eric

It's an Earthworks mic called the DT-25 which has been replaced with a newer model. It's originally a drum mic but via a good friend had lunch with a rep. He pulled out his case with all their mics and tried that one because it was so different. If you get a chance try one out. It's the most natural sounding mic I've heard, no coloration of the sound with amazing rear rejection. Really good in echo rooms. Downside is it needs true 48v phantom with enough amps to drive the capsule so when I'm running wireless boom it doesn't work well...

Peace,

Mark

Chris

If memory serves me the mic is flat from 40-20k. But I will double check. It works very well as a plant mic. I use it on car Rigs all the time. I must give props to Allison Jackson who mixed the last week or so when I had to leave

(null)

According to the freq chart on the Eartworks page it's flat from 30hz-10.5khz and down 3 db at 12.5khz. If that's a real world freq response and sounds as great as Marc says what does it say about mics we cherish that go from DC to Blue Light? Would love to hear a clip of that mic in a dialog situation.

Eric