Lectrosonics Transmitter Question

Brian Milliken

Hi All

Is there the option to have SMV's to power up when the Mic is plugged in, we are having to give costume Dept the Tx's and Mic's each night for the following morning, I have been used to Audio Ltd's which function that way, what I am trying to avoid is the fuss associated with pressing the 2 buttons deep within a period costume. I know there is the sleep function but 11ish hours would probably be a bridge too far.

Regards

Brian

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eleven hours of sleep is equivalent to 2.5 hours of run time (5 to 1) so you would still have 5 hours of constant run time left on a lithium battery, more if you use the sleep mode during production.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Hi All

Is there the option to have SMV's to power up when the Mic is plugged in, we are having to give costume Dept the Tx's and Mic's each night for the following morning, I have been used to Audio Ltd's which function that way, what I am trying to avoid is the fuss associated with pressing the 2 buttons deep within a period costume. I know there is the sleep function but 11ish hours would probably be a bridge too far.

Regards

Brian

I really think the best solution is to clearly show them HOW to operate the TURN ON function.... Load them with batteries the night before, and tell them to turn them on in the morning.... Use lithium batts, and if possible dweedle them off... If they are responsible, I don't see how it will be a problem.... It is not that technical.. Even the dimmest of lights can do the simple steps...Or, simply have them have a sound person in early...

I think it's fair to have pre-call for utility to come in and mic the costumes. What good is placing the pack without a mic attached? You still have to get in there to plug in the mic.

Or, as described, teach a costumer how to insert a lithium into the pack and turn it on properly, and then show them how to sleep it with their phone. Then they can dress the pack AND rough the mic into the costume (you can have a hush lav over the head for protection). Then you just need to place the mic for sound and picture when they walk on set, and tweedle it back on.

Robert

I will check a unit here. Something sounds wrong.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Hi Larry

I did tests regarding "Sleep", 11 hours on an Energiser fresh Lithium, the LED was red after 11 hours, I tried 4 different times once I got one hour of run time, It would seem from my albeit 4 experiments that it uses more power than you suggest.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian,

Battery drains confirmed here. Somewhere we introduced a bug in the sleep code. To be continued....

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Hi Larry

I did tests regarding "Sleep", 11 hours on an Energiser fresh Lithium, the LED was red after 11 hours, I tried 4 different times once I got one hour of run time, It would seem from my albeit 4 experiments that it uses more power than you suggest.

Regards

Brian

"Insomnia" mode would be clearer?

We found the firmware bug. The DSP is supposed to go to 1/4 the usual clock speed but a failure to update is leaving it at full tilt. Older units are OK, newer units have the bug. Now we have to make sure the "fixed" code is OK. QC checks to make sure the unit goes into "sleep" but doesn't, up to now, check the current in sleep mode. This will be one more checked item on a long list.

Bad words go here,

Larry F

Lectro

I don't get it. Toss and turn?

Heh, that's a good one Larry!

BTW, I was extremely surprised at the performance of the SMQV transmitters on a recent project, my first after picking up that remote app that I know you guys only helped in development. This was also my first time messing with Energizer Ultimate lithiums. I was pretty consistent about sleeping the transmitters when not actively shooting, and measuring the voltage on the batteries each day before starting out, I wanted to see exactly how long they would survive until they actually dropped dead... They almost all made it to lunch on the 8th day!

I had a different SMQV on a different shoot that didn't seem to want to last more than 1 day on any set of batteries. I suspect the power was set too high, but it wouldn't let me adjust anything in the menu, I couldn't seem to get it to go into that menu, it just kept telling me the compatibility mode. I need to go back and check on which firmware versions these were running, because I suspect it was an older one.

Thoughts / suggestions? I don't need 250mW power b/c these are all being used with less than 100 feet to the VR Field receiver, 50mW should be just fine.

Yes. It required additional parts to allow the micro to startup when the memory is set to power restore.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Hi Jason. I tried to set the power restore function on my older SM transmitter, but that screen doesn't seem to be in there. Larry, is the power restore feature only in the newer SMV/SMQV models?

Chris Newton

Hi Chris,

It is best to do it here though the reprogramming is not difficult. The cover is resealed with silicon for water resistance after we program the unit and I'd prefer that we do it. We will probably send a mailing envelope with instructions and with preprinted, prepaid UPS labels. I haven't discussed the details with customer service and shipping yet but I'll have an answer today. We will turn the units around the next day after they are received here. You can send them in at any convenient time in the future.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Hi Larry

How would the FIX be implemented, having just purchased 10 units would they have to go back for the problem to be sorted.

Brian