This story is too funny to pass up..

Richard Ragon

Might have been posted before, but I think this applies to us too.

Harlan's battlecry was part of the reason why I did my cartoon. I know him casually, and he actually helped me collect some money from a publisher back in the 1980s, when I had trouble getting paid for an article. Harlan is fierce on the issue of expecting to get paid for the work he does. He's known for being fairly litigious when he feels somebody has used his work without payment or permission, and has generally been successful on that front.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a gem I found on Mandy. I am not gonna comment on the requirements especially for the talent cause I don't think anything I say could make this funnier.

"We are shooting 30 shorts starting with this current short. Looking to put together our crew, PA's,Editor with After Effects experience, Sound engineers, Sound Operator, Location Scout, Actors who can and have worked with the Red One camera. Must have over three years experience and a reel, no exceptions."

Here's a gem I found on Mandy. I am not gonna comment on the requirements especially for the talent cause I don't think anything I say could make this funnier.

"We are shooting 30 shorts starting with this current short. Looking to put together our crew, PA's,Editor with After Effects experience, Sound engineers, Sound Operator, Location Scout, Actors who can and have worked with the Red One camera. Must have over three years experience and a reel, no exceptions."

I think I saw that one, at least something like it. Every now and then a good listing shows up on CL or mandy, but the vast majority are "for meals, transportation and credit"... No thanks.

One thing I've wondered since the development of the RED - They built the stupid thing that it runs so hot, why not design it with a GIANT freaking heat-sink on the top of it or underneath, so it DOESN'T need that jet-engine fan as often?

One thing I've wondered since the development of the RED - They built the stupid thing that it runs so hot, why not design it with a GIANT freaking heat-sink on the top of it or underneath, so it DOESN'T need that jet-engine fan as often?

A fair chunk of the back of the Alexa is a large heatsink and large diameter, low RPM fan...

I was doing a fast turnaround TV series a few years ago with my good friend and DP on the series...it had been a particularly early call time during the winter months.My DP friend came up to me after his morning constitutional laughing ...he said you're not going to believe this but in the rush to get dressed this morning I grabbed some undies in the dark...he pulled up his shirt and down on the edge of his jeans...there was black frilly lace poking out...I wondered if his wife had missed hers that morning..

BVS

I I grabbed some undies in the dark...he pulled up his shirt and down on the edge of his jeans...there was black frilly lace poking out...I wondered if his wife had missed hers that morning..

BVS

Beware, your friend is a x-dresser, just using "the dark" as an excuse to wear them.. to help him get through the day. How did you feel when he showed them to you.. pretty exciting?

here's a good one.

NO PAY. ENTHUSIASM and DEPENDABILITY a must!

Need a production sound recordist / boom operator with some experience. Need not own equipment as we have our own. NO PAY. Will work on several projects during the months of May and June. ENTHUSIASM and DEPENDABILITY a must. If you commit to a date, then you need to honor that date.

If work is acceptable then glowing references will be given. If we work well together, then more a permanent position will be offered, including the chance to be on a feature film to be shot this summer.

Recordists who are looking for paid work need NOT apply.

never mind, this one is even better

I'm a location sound mixer/recordist and I'm seeking a 2 man landscaping crew to work with. Here's the deal...every time I'm on location I'll call you and tell you where it is. You drive up with your stake bed truck full of mowers, weed whackers, leaf blowers etc. and start going at it! Bring a chainsaw and a jack-hammer if you've got em! I'll tell production that we can't get any usable sound. A producer or AD will then approach the landscape crew and ask you to stop. You just have to say 'can't, got other jobs after this.' If they say 'can you go do those and then come back?' say something like 'the next job is in Palmdale so no.' They'll try to get you to stop in tons of different ways...just keep saying no and keep your machines running. At some point they'll start to offer you bribes. Hold out for at least $400. Give me %15 and we'll have a good business going. Did I mention this whole thing will probably only take about an hour? Easiest, quickest cash you can make right!? If we do it well we can probably set up some drug running for coked up producers and other people on set who don't actually work.

The whole please-don't-tell-anyone-you're-getting-paid line should be a big ass red flag to anyone negotiating any gig. What it really means is, "We're paying everyone else a lot more than you and we don't want you to find out, so please don't discuss rates with anyone."

The last feature I was on I demanded more money before I walked. (we were doing 16/17/18 hour days) I was told the whole camera team was working for free. Knowing this was a load of bs, I immediately went over and asked the second AC if he was being paid on this gig.

His response - "Fuck yeah, you think i'd work with these jokes for free?"

I immediately picked up my gear and left.

I have a lot more stories about this production... I was smart enough to get half up front before I started. Which I kept.