Red Scarlett/Epic Framerate.

Guys, i did a search and could not find info on this.

I have a shoot coming up and we are doing double system.

788/CL8 sending a scratch track via Comtek to Red scarlett ( proper line to mic cable ). Also there is going to be a Denecke SB3 on the Red Jamsynced from my 788.

The question: THey want to shoot at 24fps. What framerate do i set the 788 and SB3 at? Called Red and when i ask them they say that there 24fps setting is a true 24fps not a fake one using 23.98 like many other mfg. Can't get to the camera before starting the shoot.

Any help please?

THanks Pascal

I was under the impression that at least the Epic shoots at 23.976. At a shoot I worked on this week (which didn't involved timecode), the DP told me that was the framerate of the Epic they rented, and sure enough, on the actual display of the camera is showed "23.976" in the lower left corner. Here's an image of what I mean:

http://redmodz.com/red-scarlet-playback-menu-screen-it-works/

Just to clarify, Red tech support DID NOT say that 24 setting was really 23.98 or that it was a fake 24, they said the opposite. That 24 was really 24. I was asking them because most, if not all VIDEO camera do not do a real 24 but do instead a fake 24 that is really 23.98.

Thanks for all response, in the end the DP called and said he was going to roll at 23.98....

Ah, thank god logic took hold. I was going to suggest, it's not a good idea to shoot at 24.00fps (and 24fps TC) unless everybody in the entire post and delivery chain know and agree on this. Almost everything out there is going at 23.98, to my knowledge -- with very rare exceptions.

If they have a theatrical delivery, tweaking it at the end to convert 23.98 to 24.00 for film (or for a theatrical DCP) is fairly trivial.

I'm certain the Red folks are referring to some of the Panasonic cameras that present 24 fps in all the literature but record an electronically pulled down 23.98 in a 29.97 framework. It also doesn't help that production often has no clue that there is a difference between 23.98 and 24 (after all, it's just .02 frames and if it's over.50 we can round up just like on our taxes, right?).

I have run across many owner/operators and particularly data wranglers that are unaware of the electronic pulldown some cameras use to achieve the 24 frame look including one who insisted the Panasonic manual was incorrect.

Along with the Red products, the Alexa also allows for a true 24 fps project rate.

Best regards,

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

THe company dump me. I did all the research ( more then just framerate ), built specific cables for the shoot, supplied a friend with equipment ( to replace me at the begining of the shoot ) and they simply emailled me and told me they were going to use local sound guys in all the different places they will be going.

I'm ok with them deciding to use local guys BUT you don't make a guy work for free figuring out your stuff with the promise of a shoot ( calendar, multiple dates set etc... ) and then change your mind...

Amateurs ( another word for Producers )

P

No, seriously, Send a bill. They may not pay it, but the point that planning services cost money needs to be made.

I also have planned many shoots as a producer and a key technician, and been a consultant for feasibility studies, and I am very clear that prep has costs.

If they are some sort of friend (their behavior makes me doubt it) you might instead send an email explaining how much the time you spent helping them should cost.

It is remotely possible that they will indeed pay you a sound superivsor prep and consultation rate.