Things we must know...

studiomprd

...or at least we should know them, or learn them, as they keep coming up!

for example, we keep getting asked about interference issues amongst transmi9tters and receivers:

"Desensing or receiver desensitization: Desensing occurs when a transmitt er is operating in close, physical proximity to a receiver, even if that transmitter is not on or near the receiver’s operating frequency. Receiver desensitization occurs because receivers must maintain critical voltage and current levels throughout the frontend stages and a strong (i.e. physically close) transmitter can cause these levels to vary greatly. As these levels widely fluctuate, the receiver performance will be greatly degraded. Increasing the physical distance between transmitter and receiver will decrease desensing. The greater the frequency separation between the two, the less the receiver performance will be affected.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying guys to understand as much of it as I can. Trust me I do lots of reading but most of the time I don't understand it.

Now I understand the basics of most things like wireless, mixers and recorders. But when it comes to the math that's when I'm lost. I have trouble understanding math and equations. But slowly I'm getting it.

• 1 month later...

-Your first gain stage is the most important gain stage

-In the digital world..if your data doesn't exist in two places, it doesn't exist at all.

-If you have an internally coiled cabled boom pole, turn the collars, not the sections. If you turn the sections you will tangle up the internal cable and your pole won't collapse all the way.

-Know how to wrap a cable

-...while we are talking about cables..they are "cables", not "wires".

-Know how to solder an XLR connector

-Know what to look for in a poorly soldered cable

-If things go wrong, or gear fails, don't panic. Panicing doesn't help anything.

Soldering tools needed in every sound mixers kit"

-A couple soldering irons. 12 watt, small tips, 25 watt, etc.

-Suction cup vice grip

-weighted alligator clip arms

-60/40 solder

-needle nose pliers

-forcips

-multiple wire cutters

-de-soldering tools

-cleaners

-jewlers screwdrivers

-standard flathead and phillips screwdrivers

-heat gun

-shrink wrap of various sizes

-crimping tools for CAT-5, BNC connectors for RG58, 316, etc.

-burn cream for when you burn youself.

-magnifing glass

-liquor of choice.

www.matthewfreed.com

Production Sound Mixing for TV, Films, and Commercials

• 3 weeks later...

My pal Steve Deichen came up with a few good additions to the kit:

1) strong cool-mint breath gum, so when you're right in an actor's face while wiring them up, you're not knocking them out with the onions and garlic from the pizza you had 20 minutes earlier

2) sunburn cream (I'm burned to the crisp at the moment from our weekend shoot)

3) spare glasses for those of us who are of a certain age

4) the official Lectrosonics light-up caps for the end-of-shoot load-out.

-If things go wrong, or gear fails, don't panic. Panicing doesn't help anything.

I would add to that:

Always have a Plan B. We had a piece of gear fail on Saturday afternoon after a location move, and I was on the verge of swapping out an entire mixer and recorder... but, a factory reset brought everything back (with much swearing and teeth-gnashing). I agree, panicking does not help.

Honesty with the director is a plus when a malfunction occurs. I think the sooner they know there's an issue, the better it is. In our case, we lost half a take, and they went on and did 4 more, so we were 100% covered, and they were appreciative (or at least seemed to be).

My pal Steve Deichen came up with a few good additions to the kit:

1) strong cool-mint breath gum, so when you're right in an actor's face while wiring them up, you're not knocking them out with the onions and garlic from the pizza you had 20 minutes earlier

this is key! i know some sound guys with bad breath. :D