DC power supply

Simon Paine

I'm looking at re-doing my current power system for my cart. I've added too many new toys and i've surpassed the limit of my current setup.

I know there are some ready made solutions out there made by trusted brands like PSC or Remote Audio, but this is the do it yourself forum, so I'm going to give it a try.

I'm wondering, if those who make there own cart power supplies could recommend a good reliable quiet DC power supply. Medical grade seems to be the buzz word for this kind of thing, although i'm not exactly sure what that means. Hopefully something that can output 150 watts or more. My current system uses a battery charger floating over a SLA. It's worked well for quite a few years, but I'd like to try and go a different direction.

The new system I would like to introduce would be a direct DC power supply, with battery backup. I already own several 190WH V-mount lithium batteries, that I would use for the backup purpose. (probably mount three under my cart) I'd leave the charging duties of those batteries to my charger, away from the cart.

I did a quick search online. This one seemed like it might do the trick ?

http://www.daitronpower.com/HFS150A.html

Any opinions and or suggestions would be welcome.

The Daitron stuff is really good, probably overkill even for our application. Low noise spec is important with audio gear but I have used quite inexpensive non-medical grade switching power supplies and have rarely had any problems. If you wanted to go with the best you could get a supply from Daitron (but I wasn't even able to figure out where you can purchase them). On the Daitron site they make so much of the whole "medical" thing that when you find them they are likely to be frightfully expensive.

are you worried about the fan noise at all?

Fan noise! I have never used ANY regulated DC power supply with a fan. The "noise" spec I thought everyone was referring to is the internal electrical integrity of the switching, quite, not noisy, as in non-polluting of anything that it is hooked up to.

Is there anything you can't find on Ebay ?

These looked promising (and economical):

http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_8583wt_1141

Not promising, heavy, 16amps (too high), fan, no stated noise spec, not a known brand... "economical" yes, if you mean cheap. You don't want to use one of these I can assure you.

I have used these before, cost between $40.00 to $60.00 depending on where you source them. Not medical grade spec but they have been good and long-lasting the way I have been using them.

MFG: MEAN WELL

P/N: S-150-12

Input: 110/220 VAC (Switch select) 50/60Hz

Output: 12VDC @ 12.5A

Specifications/Features:

Enclosed regulated switching supply. Over Voltage & Current protected. 180mV max Ripple & Noise. LED output indicator. Terminal strip In/Out. ULusa/canada/TUV/CE listed

L: 7.83" W: 4.33" H: 1.97" WT: 1.8

post-1-0-63010100-1328153958.jpg

I've got to say that a reliable power system is only 2nd to a quality recorder, in my book.

So many problems stem from power issues, so it seems that an investment in the PSC or RA power supplies is worth it.

My .02

Robert

I'd agree with that - what I'd really love is a version of the Meon Life that has NO internal battery, but connects to one. So the 'box' would be just input and output connectors, and electronics, and could potentially be half the width (but a bit taller) - similar in width and height to an old mac mini, but deeper. I've contacted Mr Trew about this but he never responded. Probably busy selling plenty of the style they have now. :) And I assume that I'm one of the few that would like something like that. Why? I don't want a rack-width cart. Something along the lines of the new Chindha cart is where I'm headed.

Fan noise! I have never used ANY regulated DC power supply with a fan. The "noise" spec I thought everyone was referring to is the internal electrical integrity of the switching, quite, not noisy, as in non-polluting of anything that it is hooked up to.

Jeff, I think for the most part we were talking about electrical noise. It's just that I saw a fan on some of the units posted. I'd never use a fan-cooled PS either.

Oh, and you mention that 16amps is too high? The Meon series supply up to 18amps of DC when connected to AC power....

Oh, and you mention that 16amps is too high? The Meon series supply up to 18amps of DC when connected to AC power....

I thought that in your original description of what you were looking for you intended to use a regulated DC power supply to "float" across a battery --- maybe I mis-read, sorry. The Meon LiFe unit can supply up to 18 amps to the load (your gear) but it is NOT floating dc at 18amps across the battery --- the Meon LiFe unit is an either-or system: equipment being powered by the fully charged battery OR the equipment being powered by the regulated DC power supply (running on AC).

The Meanwell's are solid.

I have one on my cart, one on the follow cart feeding DC to chargers and lights, and one as a backup.

4 years in and still rocking.

These are the DC supplies they put in IDX chargers and a lot of very reliable DC power supply boxes.

Jameco is where I got them.

$35 per.

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&productId=123423&catalogId=10001&krypto=9x3mj8umRTqin%2B0YSZW96W7XknEgWrxd4XaLB6klcqGPBw%2B5QT9RWA%3D%3D&ddkey=https:StoreCatalogDrillDownView

Scott Harber

I have been happy with the IOTA:

http://www.iotaengineering.com/dls15.htm

Not as cheap as the meanwell, and not necessarily better...but less wiring and hookup if you're less inclined. Has a variable 13.8/14.4 output which I find handy depending upon the situation with one's battery.

There is a fan on the current production model (not on the original) but it's easily disengaged by pulling one plastic connector out with a finger. The folks at IOTA confirmed for me that the fan isn't necessary for our kinds of power demands. I have an older fanless version on my main cart and a newer disengaged-fan version on my secondary cart and neither has given me any trouble over years of use.

Quite a few of us here in the UK use power units made by XP Power.

They have a prescence in the US and their gear is first rate.

We all use a power unit that you can tweak up the output voltage to just over 14 volts and it will give 8 amps which is more than adequate to charge the lead acid batteries we use.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

Guest 2611-1 marine charger. Waterproof, and I've had one for 5 years, seems to hold up. I have an earlier version of this;

http://www.amazon.com/Guest-2611A-Battery-Charger-24-Volt/dp/B000NHZV1S. Probably cheaper on eBay.

Only issue it's a sealed unit so repairing it yourself could be an issue. Also powering a computer, LCD screen, mixer, radios etc., check whether 10 amps is enough for your situation.

BTW this is a smart charger, can charge then just float on the battery.

Guest 2611-1 marine charger. Waterproof, and I've had one for 5 years, seems to hold up.

BTW this is a smart charger, can charge then just float on the battery.

I strongly suggest that using any power supply that is a CHARGER, particularly one that has staged charging, across the battery that is powering your equipment, is a really bad idea. You may not have had problems or maybe you are suggesting the Guess chargers to be used just as chargers for your batteries (while that battery is NOT powering your equipment).

EPS chargers - some have no fans. http://epspl.com.au/store/tag/battery%20chargers

Sold in AUS by http://www.beetechnical.com/

As Jeff said - caution ...

They usually have a boost mode up to 14.2 volts - If they are run via a SLA battery into a distro box - they can interpret the load (of the operating equipment) as a flat battery that needs charging - and jump up to boost mode. They also need to be engaged with a battery to start up, as they need to see a load of some sorts to turn on.

THESE CHARGERS CAN HAVE THE BOOST MODE DISABLED - they then become a bullett proof power supply.

RS

• 2 weeks later...

(You may not have had problems or maybe you are suggesting the Guess chargers to be used just as chargers for your batteries)

I had no problems until a computer landed on the cart, it was getting into the Sonosax. Lifting the ground to the Guest seemed to solve it. So I'm thinking the laptop AC supply was a bigger issue. My battery is quite large, I've heard they act as a filter capacitor in this scenario. Rick Patton suggested it back in the days of DAT. I dont hear any "ramping" noise. I have an old heavy duty Eico battery eliminator that may end up being a better choice.

I just bought a Mac mini, plus a Carnetix CNX-P1900 dc-dc regulator for mac mini (version 2.2). It will be interesting to see if it gets into the analog gear. I'm thinking of separate batteries one for analog and another for the digital gear.

I just bought a Mac mini, plus a Carnetix CNX-P1900 dc-dc regulator for mac mini (version 2.2). It will be interesting to see if it gets into the analog gear. I'm thinking of separate batteries one for analog and another for the digital gear.

It will. I was somewhat underwhelmed by the build quality of the Carnetix for what it's worth

Separate batteries seemed to fix my trouble.

Best regards,

Jim

i'm on the way to built my power system, in the way that jeff exposed...

so, looking for a switching power supply, i've found this one on ebay that seems to satisfy the features jeff said (expecially for the ripple and noise spec.)...

http://www.ebay.it/itm/12V-150W-12-5A-Switching-Power-Supply-PSU-Compact-Size-160mm-X-88mm-X-34mm-/250979299366?pt=UK_Computing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item3a6f883026

the other thing i would ask you (to those who is more expert here) is if there is some tutorial or something similar to learn exactly how to wire the pin of the power supply to the battery and to the socket for incoming ac...

i've tried on internet, but wasn't able to find almost anything...

i've read some on electronics, so i got an idea, but i would just to be 100% sure of what i'm going to do..

any input is appreciated,

thanks as ever.

v.