Turn your Senn G2/G3 into IFB

Mark LeBlanc

Howdy all,

Have 6 plus Sennheiser G2 and G3 systems in my kick just sitting around no that I'm all Lectro. Will use for camera hops when needed. Last week picked up an inexpensive but really great sounding Headphone amp off ebay. Open ebay and search for "18V CMOY RA1 JRC4556 Headphone Amplifier". The guy builds them into Altoids Tins. Picked one up on auction cheap. Ran output of G2 Receiver into it with the proper mono> stereo cable and vala! My boom op loves it. For 45 bucks a pop, you can add a really good quality sounding IFB link to your boom op or whoever. The nice part is some of those units I had that really weren't worth the trade in value on those special frequencies can now be used without fuss. If you have G2/G3, pick one up and try it. It sounds really good and the range is not bad at all..

Mark L

I use my G3s as camera hop and ifb all the time, works great. Especially on my litteral run-and-gun-gigs. I bought a couple of Sennheiser EK 300 IEM in the same freq. range, to hand out as IFBs. I guess the "Headphone amp" turns regular receivers into something similar?

Though not perfect, they can be surprisingly good and a great bang for your buck.

for IFB, adjusting the 'AF output' to +6 or +12 will drive comtek headsets just fine. i already use several of the IEM variety for IFB and if extra IFB units are needed a regular non-IEM receiver on the same band works well in a pinch, the only big compromise having a semi-fixed volume control.

(null)

Just didn't feel like spending 400 dollars on a receiver to basically get a volume knob..

Haha, I know what you mean. Is there a picture of the modded version?

Great. Thanks. I had a dealer tell me the units wouldn't work like that, which I was dubious about.

They definitly work that way. Though technically, they are from two different series (100 and 300), so a few functions like the "Ir sync" doesn't work and pilot tone need to be switched off. Other than that, sounds great and good range.

I suspect the altoid tins will sound better than that one on Amazon.

Not sure where to find a cable, but one of these would work:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812196528&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Adapters+and+gender+changers-_-Cables+To+Go-_-12196528

He is talking about the 700mhz spectrum that we are all supposed to have voluntarily vacated so the FCC could make gagging bags of money making our jobs harder.

I'm not advocating one way or the other, but I know a few people that have that gear and have yet to find any interference in using it. They understand it won't be a forever thing... But is anything really? Legally, it is wrong. Thats the truth. Beyond that... Ya makes yer choices, ya takes yer chances. I think the chances of getting noticed are less likely than being elected president of the moon.

One!ouder- not sure. The appealing part of he Altoid unit is the 9v batteries. I use rechargeables in my normal comteks so I have a bunch around.

Philip- Sennheiser offered something like 50 dollars to send in your C band unit to put toward a new unit in the legal band so I just kept it.

The cable was one I had around the house from Radio Shack. Stereo on one end. Mono on the other. Otherwise you can pull the jack out half way trick and it works. Both the G2 and Altoid amp fit in a Comtek pouch.

I use my G3s as Comteks because I have them left over from when I upgraded to Lectro's. On my Fusion I have found that setting the Sensitivity on the TX to -33 or -36 with the AF Out on the RX to +12 usually gives me a decent level and enough headroom so that I only very rarely hit the limiters. Sometimes I have to adjust as necessary. It's a bit of a compromise in some respects, but I like whoever had the idea of buying cans with a volume knob on them. I may do just that...

I think the G3s sound better than Comteks but aren't quite as sturdy. Someone dropped one of my RX and now the LED won't turn on. Oh well, still works.

I use my G2 as transmitter and have 2 IME as receiver for director. For agency, i found out i can use many of the commercially available wireless headphones that work on the 862-864Mhz frequency (the non-licence spectrum here in the uk). I bet is a similar case in the states. The headphone i have been using are Sennheiser RS110 and some smaller size sony ones. Range is great as is mostly up to the transmitter. And is about $60 a pop, so not expensive.

Best thing is, no cables for agency/client to break, tangle, unplug, dip in coffee, chew out of stress, etc.

First of all:

senn g3 iems are perfect.they surpass everything else on quality and range.

Second:

Do not be cheep on the ONLY GEAR THAT YOU HAND TO A CLIENT!!!

Buy a receiver with a pot.... IT MAKES CLIENTS HAPPY...

Save on headsets. I use cheap cell phone headsets that have a clip.

I hand a brand new unopened bag every time and it seams to impress clients.

Just recently discovered that there's a cheaper "proper" IFB option by Sennheiser than the EK 300 IFB, it's the EK 1038 tourguide receiver, woth volume knob. WIll also work with G3 transmitters. mono/stereo cable is not necessary in these because you can set the output to mono in the menu ("focus" function).

He is talking about the 700mhz spectrum that we are all supposed to have voluntarily vacated so the FCC could make gagging bags of money making our jobs harder.

I'm not advocating one way or the other, but I know a few people that have that gear and have yet to find any interference in using it. They understand it won't be a forever thing... But is anything really? Legally, it is wrong. Thats the truth. Beyond that... Ya makes yer choices, ya takes yer chances. I think the chances of getting noticed are less likely than being elected president of the moon.

True enough so far. Apart from usage where the FCC might be listening, I figure the problem will take care of itself eventually--radios like ours in that band will just be blown off the air by the new users. I have been told by RF engineers that I might be busted for using those bands now, but they've never given me a plausible explanation of what situation would result in that, outside of a political convention, the Super Bowl etc.. Maybe Google-Apple-Facebook will start its own RF Police force?

phil p

Just recently discovered that there's a cheaper "proper" IFB option by Sennheiser than the EK 300 IFB, it's the EK 1038 tourguide receiver, woth volume knob. WIll also work with G3 transmitters. mono/stereo cable is not necessary in these because you can set the output to mono in the menu ("focus" function).

Oh yeah. I was a bit reluctant to try these, but you say they work fine? Slightly narrower frequency range and no headphones seem to be the only downsides. You know of any more?