Nikon D800 Announced

My friends - i think it has finally happened. A DSLR that almost gives us audio-heads what we have been longing for.

It is not quite XLR, but Mini-Jack input at line level, and a headphone output port. As i read it, the Microphone input port can be set to accept line level sources, but the specifications are not completely clear on this. Fingers crossed..

644820410.png

I know a lot of nikon heads that are way stoked on this camera. I'm pretty interested in it too. It has almost the same video functions of the new d4 minus the 2.7x crop. One nice thing about these new Nikon cams is the ability to get a clean 8bit 4:2:2 feed from hdmi. So it would not surprise me to start seeing these dslrs popping up on gigs more frequently with external video recorders. Which could be a bad thing for us as that could cut into our rates as double system sound(mixing to a pix220 for example).

My friends - i think it has finally happened. A DSLR that almost gives us audio-heads what we have been longing for.

It is not quite XLR, but Mini-Jack input at line level, and a headphone output port. As i read it, the Microphone input port can be set to accept line level sources, but the specifications are not completely clear on this. Fingers crossed..

I'm not longing for slghtly improved crap audio facilities on cramped DSLR's ..... the worse the audio the more justification for double system :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We jumped to the D800 this season on the show Wilfred.

To me it seems like a slightly better 5D but....

I'm still just feeding a padded lockit signal into the audio input.

Nothing special but the camera boys seem to be ever so much marginally happier as they can now roll for 20 minutes rather than 12 before it rolls out.

I personally liked having a display with info that the 5D output.

Scott Harber