NAB for the NOOB

BradTheSoundGuy

Personally, I see no reason to change the name of the NAB party. RAMPS was our key forum for many years. Now for many of us, JWS has replaced RAMPS. But maybe JWS will go away in a few years or be replaced with something else. Not that I want that to happen, but who knows what the future holds?

Not only is there no reason to change the name, I would NOT want it to change and I think it would be important to consider the wishes of JW before changing what will always be, for me, the R.A.M.P.S. Party at NAB.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only is there no reason to change the name, I would NOT want it to change and I think it would be important to consider the wishes of JW before changing what will always be, for me, the R.A.M.P.S. Party at NAB.

Ahem, Since I started the party way back when we met at the Lagoon Saloon for the great Pina Colda suckup and there was only RAMPS I claim the right of deciding what the name will be. It was and always will be known as the R.A.M.P.S party at NAB. There now it's settled once & for all.

Eric

P.S. I am open to negotiating for corporate naming rights. :ph34r:

Ahem, Since I started the party way back when we met at the Lagoon Saloon for the great Pina Colda suckup and there was only RAMPS I claim the right of deciding what the name will be. It was and always will be known as the R.A.M.P.S party at NAB. There now it's settled once & for all.

Eric

P.S. I am open to negotiating for corporate naming rights. :ph34r:

If Jeff buys, it's the JWSound party!

I'm heading to NAB this year for the first time and thought it would be great to get some input from those that have went before me as 'thing's to do'.

Wear very comfortable shoes!

Bring along your own convention bag -- a good cloth bag, preferably one with a shoulder handle -- to hold the giant piles of brochures, freebies, magazines, and crap.

Be prepared for very long waits in bus and cab lines. Consider using the monorail from the convention center to certain hotels. Parking is a real pain in the ass in that whole area.

Download the exhibit locations and plot out the "must see" exhibitors and make a list. If you have an iPhone, I believe "there's an app for that," listing all the booths and companies, and you can pop up the numbers and see who you've been to, and who you've missed.

Bring along business cards in case you run into potential clients and/or contacts.

Pace yourself. This is an overwhelming show, spread across dozens of square miles of buildings, with a ridiculous amount of looky-loos and amateur idiots (as opposed to the pro idiots).

This year, I have a new addition: I'm bringing along earplugs to ward against the really obnoxiously bad PA systems you always encounter at certain booths. (That's assuming I can make it -- I may be booked if a pilot project comes through.)

Wear very comfortable shoes!

Bring along your own convention bag -- a good cloth bag, preferably one with a shoulder handle -- to hold the giant piles of brochures, freebies, magazines, and crap.

Be prepared for very long waits in bus and cab lines. Consider using the monorail from the convention center to certain hotels. Parking is a real pain in the ass in that whole area.

Download the exhibit locations and plot out the "must see" exhibitors and make a list. If you have an iPhone, I believe "there's an app for that," listing all the booths and companies, and you can pop up the numbers and see who you've been to, and who you've missed.

Bring along business cards in case you run into potential clients and/or contacts.

Pace yourself. This is an overwhelming show, spread across dozens of square miles of buildings, with a ridiculous amount of looky-loos and amateur idiots (as opposed to the pro idiots).

This year, I have a new addition: I'm bringing along earplugs to ward against the really obnoxiously bad PA systems you always encounter at certain booths. (That's assuming I can make it -- I may be booked if a pilot project comes through.)

These are great suggestions - thank you very much. Exactly what I was hoping for.

It would be nice if there was a place or booth setup for everyone to buy/sell used equipment.

Sort of like a soundie swap meet.

If you priced what booths cost there, and the fact that everything moved in and out must be handled by union employees, at union rates, you'd see why it might not work. A cool idea, though.

I know. But it is so much easier describing it as CIRQUE. It is like a genre.

Elvis is produced by CIRQUE but I don't consider it to be a "real" CIRQUE.

For the record, it's not a Cirque show.

It was created by Franco Dragone who did direct a few Cirque shows in the past, but Le Reve was done by his own company Dragone.

That being said, go see it :)

That's why it would be in a secret suite somewhere. :)

That's what I was thinking. Maybe we can find a designated location to meet up and buy/sell gear. I figured since we are all going to be out there, and possibly meet up at Satays afterwards, then why not have some sort of swap meet in the parking lot or at a bar somewhere?? Unless that's not allowed.

Sure would be nice to be amongst good company and be able to go home with some sweet gear too!

Then again, it's not my party so I'm just throwing this out there to gauge interest.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I've never been to NAB before either I was wondering if the vendors give better discounts on gear at the show then through regular retail channels? I was looking to get a Sanken and some Lectros /Zaxcom wireless stuff but wasn't sure if it would be best to wait for NAB for this. Any thoughts???

Since I've never been to NAB before either I was wondering if the vendors give better discounts on gear at the show then through regular retail channels? I was looking to get a Sanken and some Lectros /Zaxcom wireless stuff but wasn't sure if it would be best to wait for NAB for this. Any thoughts???

Not really. For one, I presume companies like those you mention don't want to upset their dealers. IIRC, some dealers who have booths sell some stuff at special show prices. But the discounts are minimal. And by-and-large you don't get to walk away with the equipment; you place an order and it later ships.

At least, that's my experience...

Not really. For one, I presume companies like those you mention don't want to upset their dealers. IIRC, some dealers who have booths sell some stuff at special show prices. But the discounts are minimal. And by-and-large you don't get to walk away with the equipment; you place an order and it later ships.

At least, that's my experience...

hmmm, no instant gratification huh...that's so non-Vegas. Oh well, no sense in waiting to buy then.

"Could we make a suggestion to the NAB"

I don't think so.

(sorry for the Senatoresque answer, but making a "suggestion" to the National Association of Broadcasters is not a simple thing).

Jeff,

Then why not have JW swap meet? Not trying to pimp your name out but it sure would be nice to have a flea market of some sort for soundies. I would try and put one together but I don't have the clout that you do. Unless of course you want me to do all the grunt work (reserve location, put together a webpage for this, recruit vendors, etc.) and you just make the official announcement.

Thinking of my past life (lives) when I rode a BMW motorcycle, at the annual rally there would always be a "swap meet" section somewhere at the rally site (sanctioned) where people would bring a few or many things to sell or trade. All it took was a piece of empty space (usually but not always under cover) and the willingness of the participants.