Double M/S Setup. (MKH 30 and MKH8000 series mics)

soundslikejustin

A couple of quick shots of a Double M/S that I'm playing around with while I have a bit of down-time. Due to the tiny size of the MKH8000 series (and the fact that Sennheiser hasn't yet made a figure-8 model in the line >:( ) I'm using the MKH 30. Seeing as it's the biggest mic, it also serves as the mounting for the other mics.

Everything fits inside a Rode Blimp (that I don't really use anymore - i bought a new Rycote for my main boom mic) and the back-to back clips are the ones Rode provide with the Blimp - I've got the standard clip back to back with a MKH clip for the front mic (MKH 8050), and a 30mm clip (shimmed with a layer of tape) to go just on the front of the MKH 30, back to back with another standard clip for the rear mic (MKH 8040).

I've used the Rycote MKH8000 connbox for the rear mic, keeps the mic small and light and cables neat.

Next step is to get some lighter-gauge cable and cable runs for the other two mics (currently using the XLR built into the Blimp handle and another Star-quad cable. VERY HEAVY)

Oh well, work in progress I guess.

post-2617-0-17023900-1328681081.jpg

post-2617-0-77095200-1328681112.jpg

I do as much of interior booming as I can with the 8000's. Both the 8040 and the 8050 sound very similar, so it really comes down to how many people I have to follow and what the space is like. I've got the choice of an 8050 or 8040 for booming, and the 8040 is part of a stereo pair that I use for ambiences etc.

What mics are you testing there. I can see a pocket recorder, but not much else. Nice mic bar, too.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always assumed that if an MKH8030 were to be released, Rycote would provide a mounting system for MKH8000 Double M/S setups. Your DIY one is cool!

One thing to mention is that in the Schoeps Double M/S mounts, the rings are big enough so that the rear mic has less obstruction close to it.

cmit-double-ms.gif

• 1 year later...

Here are some flickr pics of a DIY DMS setup that I did. Not using Sennheiser's but Oktava mics.

This first couple are of the setup not in a blimp of any kind just on a stand: http://m.flickr.com/photos/aamacri/8285885687/lightbox/

http://m.flickr.com/photos/aamacri/8285879661/lightbox/

Here are some shots of the DIY "blimp" I started making out of dollar store supplies. A few small wire waste baskets and some elastics.

http://m.flickr.com/photos/aamacri/8286972062/lightbox/

http://m.flickr.com/photos/aamacri/8285923173/lightbox/

I just use some rubber coated wire I found at the dollar store to hold it together once all the mics are in place. After that I cover it with fun fur. Actually works pretty good. Def not boom worthy. I just park it on a little mic stand. It's way too heavy and futzy to try to boom.

Actually since these photos I added a bit more length to the blimp to make enough room for all three mics and the XLR. I should take a fee updated pics with the full "blimpy" together with the DMS configuration. And with the fun fur. At some point I'll learn how to sow and custom fit my fur. For now I just wrap it and use clamps to hold the fur in place.

Not exactly pro but I get happy results when I use it. Just super finicky is all.

Cheers.