Solderable BNC

Jack Norflus

• 5 months later...

... if the issue is you're using a non-standard coax so the crimp BNCs don't fit... how about soldering to a good quality RCA plug, and then soldering (or even shrink-tubing) that plug to a BNC adapter?

The issue is primarily that BNC's are really a coax-only connector, despite the connector being used for timecode. And trying to solder a coax to a 5-pin LEMO sounds like a little slice of heaven.

The goal is to duplicate the ridiculous $90 cable with parts I already have, or can source pretty cheaply and easily. Already have the 5-pin LEMO's and cable, just need the BNC's.

So the "solder an RCA, then glue/shrinktube it to a BNC adapter" idea is worth trying. I'll post the result here.

The issue is primarily that BNC's are really a coax-only connector, despite the connector being used for timecode. And trying to solder a coax to a 5-pin LEMO sounds like a little slice of heaven.

The goal is to duplicate the ridiculous $90 cable with parts I already have, or can source pretty cheaply and easily. Already have the 5-pin LEMO's and cable, just need the BNC's.

So the "solder an RCA, then glue/shrinktube it to a BNC adapter" idea is worth trying. I'll post the result here.

I've been using the solderable bncs from Redco, and I've been very happy with them. Especially great for making timecode cables.

http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=686&bc=no

K

I agree that the solder type BNC cable connectors used on the Remote Audio cables are often unnecessarily long. They were built to accommodate some of the larger audio cables and to accommodate circuitry for pads, etc, but most of the cables they are being used on could use a smaller connector. I'll see if I can help make that happen. Regarding the retail price, there does seem to be a discrepancy, so I'll look into that, too.

Glen Trew

I agree that the solder type BNC cable connectors used on the Remote Audio cables are often unnecessarily long. They were built to accommodate some of the larger audio cables and to accommodate circuitry for pads, etc, but most of the cables they are being used on could use a smaller connector. I'll see if I can help make that happen. Regarding the retail price, there does seem to be a discrepancy, so I'll look into that, too.

Glen, I didn't see the BNC connectors on Trew Audio's web store. Searched "BNC" but got adapters, and then cables and other bigger-ticket items.

As for the BNC connectors you can simply select your blade of choice (hack saw/band saw) and reduce the shell (and ground leg) to whatever length you like. I've done this many times for custom cables. Then find the correct size grommett for your cable and a small plastic cap that you can find at any supply shop. Punch (drill) a hole into the cap for the cable, thru the grommett, place grommett inside of shell, secure cap over end of shell (I always used a little glue around the edge of the cap) and you have your very on custom cable.

Its actually a lot easier than it sounds, or just call Remote Audio and they can make one for you if you just want a shorter connector.

Also I'm no longer at Remote Audio and as far as supplying sources it would not be correct to do so, but as in above statements its not hard too find what you're looking for with your friend Google. With that being said I'm sure the guys at Remote will be more than glad to help out.

• 5 years later...