5DmkII & Zaxcom ERX1TCD

JDirckze

Hi all,

I have a shoot coming up next week on 5DmkII. In the past I have used a Lockit box, UM100, and Lockit Buddy to get TC on 1 channel and a scratch feed on the other. I'm thinking for this gig that I may use my QRX100 w/IFB in the bag and use my ERX1TCD to feed both TC and Audio to the 5D. Just wandering if anyone out there has or is doing this and whether there are any issues or 'gotchas' I should be aware of, particularly with the ERX1TCD. I'm not 100% sure I'll have a chance to do a workflow test beforehand, unfortunately...

Mixer/recorder is 788T. Talent wireless on UCR411's, QRX100 in the bag only for IFB & TC scratch feed purposes.

Any replies greatly appreciated! Cheers,

Jase

1. Get the QRX away from your talent RX's. Sometimes the 2.4Ghz signal can do silly things. It's only once been a problem for me, but better safe than sorry.

2. Set the TC out in the Extended Menu of the ERXTCD to .125v (D5) setting, and which ever side you want it on.

3. Send tone into the QRX, get it coming out the ERX, set the volume using the FIXED MAX LEVEL page in the extended menu (not the volume knob) so that everything lines up, adjusting the level on the 5D as necessary.

That's it!

What Phil says is correct. I've done the TC, as well as just plain scratch track. I didn't notice any bleed between the channels, but it drove everyone nuts when we went to play anything back. I've gone to just scratch track only on 5D shoots. The instructions are there if you still want to do the TC, but I wouldn't, unless it's a dedicated TC capable camera.

I just did a shoot with a combination of 5D and SonyF900. I utilized an ERXTCD on the 5D that ran through the Nomad zaxnet. I only feed an audio scratch track to the camera cause post 1. Didn't seem to know how to handle audio TC. 2. It was pre-established by another soundman who used a Senn. G3 to send scratch.

In the process I experienced a gotcha; coming out of the Nomad Zaxnet was a hotter feed so I had to crank the "FIXED MAX LEVEL" to 0 so that it would show up on the 5D at -12. That was the lowest I could go so next time I'm gonna use my IFB100 and see if I could lower to a decent level.

Gabe

@ Phil,

Yep, client usual M.O is TC on one track, audio on the other. Playback on camera is painful, I agree. It's an observational documentary though, so I don't think there is much need to playback clips on location. I shot a series last year the same way and there were no issues as far as I know, but we did it with a Lockit box, UCR100 and Lockit Buddy, not with a ERX1.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

• 1 month later...

I just did a shoot with a combination of 5D and SonyF900. I utilized an ERXTCD on the 5D that ran through the Nomad zaxnet. I only feed an audio scratch track to the camera cause post 1. Didn't seem to know how to handle audio TC. 2. It was pre-established by another soundman who used a Senn. G3 to send scratch.

In the process I experienced a gotcha; coming out of the Nomad Zaxnet was a hotter feed so I had to crank the "FIXED MAX LEVEL" to 0 so that it would show up on the 5D at -12. That was the lowest I could go so next time I'm gonna use my IFB100 and see if I could lower to a decent level.

Gabe

The latest firmware for the ERX let's you drop the fixed max level down another -20db which helps the 5D input. Also, the 2.87 firmware version for the Nomad adds limiters to the ERX output. This made a massive difference to the usability of an ERX and Nomad. Drop the 5D files into FCP auxTC to convert it back to normal TC. Too easy.

420075_3535206418751_1230034843_4439467_1083989721_n.jpg

Few problems with the setup:

1 it is hard to setup the audio for mic level.

2 the audio and tc code bleeds. I choose one or the other.

3 Once the DP switched off the 2 erx without letting me know and we lost scratch track on 2 important interview. Luckily we used a TC slate. I got an email from post thanking me for using a TC slate.

SO always use a TC or dummy slate.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I read somewhere too that the audio isnt recorded accurately enough (frame sync) to the video within the 5D2 making TC a couple frames off from the video in post and that using a TC slate was really the only way to get individual frame accurate TC for 5D2 video.

Hey Chris,Shoot was canned at the last minute, but I did do a workflow test with a mate who has a 5D. We digitized the test footage into Final Cut and there didn't seem to be any bleed onto the audio channel from the TC channel. I think from memory I lowered the TC voltage from the settings Justin recommended, but you should be able to test that out on the day...I didn't do any testing regarding drift.Good luck mate!---I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pgazic

Hmm... No idea actually, I just checked that I could hear it on the track. I'm not too post savvy, especially where TC is concerned. I can't see why it would be a problem though, we've done the same thing in the past using a Lockit box and a UCR100 with a Lockit Buddy.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?aqao5s