Headphones Beyer DT1350 vs Senn HD25ii vs Sony 7506

Malcolm Cromie

Has anyone A-B'd the Beyer DT1350 vs Senn HD25ii vs Sony 7506 headphones for the purposes of our work particularly voice recording.

What are your opinions? I'm wondering how the DT1350's stack up against our common favorites.

I'm having to wait a week or so to do my own test while the NZ Beyer agent gets some in for me to try.

Cheers, Malcolm

It comes down to personal preference. Great idea to try them all, if you can arrange it.

I've been using HD25s for last 10 years. Really happy with them; true sound, great isolation, and tough.

I trained on Beyers but found them heavy and uncomfortable for long periods of use.

First set of pro headphones I bought were Sony; still have them but they are in a terrible state of repair. Also find the top end on the Sony a little over accentuated.

You are right Chris, of course personal preference comes into it.

I have have been using Senn HD25s almost exclusively for the last 16 years and over the 17 years prior to that a mixture of Sony 75-- series, Beyer DT48s and before that Pioneer SE ??? - I forget the model number.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced the newer Beyer DT1350s and can offer their opinion on how they compare for our work.

I'm going to suggest a new player. Check out the KRK KNS 6400. After my hearing was damaged on set I went on a headphone blitz. I was looking for something that wasn't as fatiguing as the Sony can be. I lived on sites dedicated to headphones and had all these specs. I tried AKG, Senn and Ultrasone. Finally gave the KRK a shot. The isolation is very good and sound very natural. I've used KRK studio monitors in the past and these were said to be very similar. They do not hype the sound in the highs which I like. There is no over sibilence issues that the Sony can have. I've used them for the past month and I'm very please with the headphones. You can swap out the earpads with the KNS 8400 which gives it even more isolation. Those are on order. I bought mine new on eBay for under 80 so the price is right. You can check them out at Guitar Center if needed.. Check out this frequency graph comparing the KRK to the Sony... If you want a more hyped sound check out the KNS 8400.

Mark L

http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/technical/build-a-graph.php?graphID%5B0%5D=2951&graphID%5B1%5D=2361&graphID%5B2%5D=&graphID%5B3%5D=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones

You are right Chris, of course personal preference comes into it.

I have have been using Senn HD25s almost exclusively for the last 16 years and over the 17 years prior to that a mixture of Sony 75-- series, Beyer DT48s and before that Pioneer SE ??? - I forget the model number.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced the newer Beyer DT1350s and can offer their opinion on how they compare for our work.

So so sorry, I committed the ultimate sin of using an emoticon - I honestly don't know how that happened!

Cheers, Malcolm ; = )

• 2 weeks later...

I finally had my listening test to A-B the Beyer DT1350 vs Senn HD25ii headphones and was surprised.

My test was judging voice and location ambience quality and did not involve any music apart from the radio playing in an adjacent office. I used my familiar rig of MKH50 into Zaxcom Fusion and swapped headphones to compare:

1) Isolation - unplugged removal of background noise - fairly similar but the Senn HD25ii win by a perceived 2 or 3 db.

2) Clarity and definition of voice, highs and bass of location - Senn HD25ii wins hands down. The DT1350s were mushy and undefined in the lower frequencies and severely lacking in definition in the highs.

I know that this is a purely subjective test but I was hoping a brand new pair of Beyer headphones would put up a better fight against my 12 year old Senn HD25iis - (Should have taken my DT48s to use as another bench mark)

Cheers, Malcolm

Hi Malcom,

What you've found it's very interesting, so the good ol' Senn HD-25 are still going strong after all this time...great phones btw!!

Yep, they've had new cables a couple of times and Il like to fit the felt ear pads for winter and the leatherette ones for summer wear. To tell the truth I have 2 pairs - Bought in 1995 and 2000. The only way I can tell them apart are the 1995 ones are slightly looser and have a small amount of paint spray from an onset incident.