Wisycom wireless or other?

DanieldH

Hi,

in the long run, we need new wireless systems to replace a couple of Senny Evos in D-Band due to the digital divide frequency loss here in Germany.

My candidates so far:

Wisycom: RX: MCR42, TX: MTP30

Pros: Dual true diversity receiver, line and AES/EBU output (though unclocked), compatible with Sony camera slot.

Cons: TX has no remote control features, the system is quite rare and undisscussed, no experience with support

Lectrosonics:

Pros: widely known around here. (The "Lectrosonics Transmitter Question" thread just gave me the impression again to be in good hands.), afaik good support also in Europe, remotable through clothes (Sony Cam compatible?), (Possibility to operate above 50mW, e.g. offshore)

Cons: For true diversity, you need one SRa unit for each channel, unclear when WM is available.

Audio Ltd.:

2040 System:

Pros: Prooved well known system, remotable through clothes, very small and hidable miniRX

Cons: One true diversity RX unit per line, no Sony slotin

en2 System:

Pros: Dual true diversity RX

Cons: Not remotable

Zaxcom:

Pros: Lots of intuitive features but kinda out of question due to...

Cons: afaik no service in Europe Germany would have to import them on our own, unclear if legal operation possible

I'd be happy on comments, experiences (especially regarding wisycom), corrections of incorrect assumptions. I have limited knowledge regarding technical RF issues and features, so comments regarding analog vs. digital, frequency scaning, modulation techniques etc are appreciated too.

Twenty WM's are assembled for FCC and CE testing and are in QC. FCC and CE is typically a two month process. My firmly spoken goal around here is to have them on the shelf for shipment by NAB. I sometimes feel that by the time we get this transmitter out the door, the planet will have dried up and there won't be any more water to proof it against.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Hi,

[snip]

unclear when WM is available.

the planet will have dried up and there won't be any more water to proof it against.

LOL

Doesnt' this happen after NAB on Dec. 21, 2012?

Many thanks for the update. I'll curiously await NAB anyway and wish you(, and possibly us) a good market start.

I just hope we don't have to wait as long after ordering, as some people need to for a certain recorder. ;)

Any plans for a true 4 receiver unit, btw?

Regards

Daniel

" Dual true diversity receiver, "

ok, here we go again...

first of all, while there are numerous forms of diversity reception, they are all diversity reception, and thus all trtue diversity reception.

Dual RX diversity is no truer than dual antenna diversity.

The next point has to do with effectiveness of various diversity schemes, and I would not necessarily call one scheme a pro, and another a con.

and just to be clear, if one antenna is only several inches from the other antenna, no matter which scheme of diversity reception is employed, it is probably less effective than when the separation amongst and between the antennae (sic) is increased.

It is physics, so unfortunately, it is not exactly simple.

I'm going to have a play with the wisycom system next week. Raycom in the UK will service them (they also do Lectros). Another advantage of them is wide band reception, and a disadvantage is price. I had an email this morning saying Sky have just bought 200 systems for TV crews.

They do have infra red remote control, similar to the sennheiser G3 (difficult to use through clothes)

Everything Audio distribute and service Zaxcom in the UK.

Might also be worth looking at the Sony system if you need clockable AES.

Hi Daniel,

I am from Wisycom so I hope to be able to give u more info:

We are the preferred choice of most of European Broadcasters

thus we have a service center in all European countries.

In Germany we are supported by SONO or by Audio-Technica Germany.

Transmitter is remote controlled thru IR and can sync with the receiver.

We recommend to use digital output since Sony cameras have a very

bad analogue audio circuits. Thus entering digital AES3 u got more than 130 dB dynamic!

There is very well defined difference between true diversity and other kind of “antenna diversity”.

Although u can find many kind of antenna diversity, true diversity is the most performing schema and means to have a complete receiver for each antenna. Besides the “diversity gain”, where possible the audio of 2 receiver is also combined giving and additional 6dB audio quality gain (3dB uncompressed). A true diversity receiver had the double complexity versus a simple antenna diversity so it is usually used for high end application.

You can use the receiver with other manufacturer transmitters (also G3), but in this case u are limited by Tx bandwidth.

MCR42 is able to work in 232 MHz range with high selective movable filter, that give you a great flexibility of work.

Well If you need more info just le me know.

By the way u can find us in Frankfurt Pro-lite and sound 2012 or at Nab 2012.

/mAx

Wisycom

Wisycoms are very sturdy and well built, a bit similar to the lectrosonics smqv that way. They sound great and basicly have all the functions you want from such a system. IMO they also have the most detailed and reliable battery indicator of the whole bunch. But what really makes them shine is the crazy wide freq range they cover. That can be such a life saver.

However, this all comes at a price. Wisycoms are not cheap, at all. I guess that's the only downside to them really.

Here in Sweden, Wisycoms are very widely used in Eng-work. If you rent an audio kit here you basicly get either Wisycoms or G3s 90% of the time (depending on the budget). Lectros and Zaxcom are almost non existant, Audio Ltd are rare.

Hello mAx, and welcome... good to have your input here...

" There is very well defined difference between true diversity and other kind of “antenna diversity”. "

I am not arguing that there are numerous types of diversity, just that calling one type "true diversity" (with the implication that other types are not true diversity, - or not even really diversity-- is imprecise terminology. (translation?)

You are speaking of dual receiver diversity, which, depending on the circumstances, may be a better alternative than an antenna diversity system, although both are true diversity systems, as are several other diversity systems, and sometimes several types of diversity are combined for even greater possible advantages....

Rasmus, here is a Wisycom pricelist, I don't know how up to date though:

http://www.face-be.e...0prijslijst.pdf

Digital Audio Service lists a price for the sra, however, they did not quote very obviously, that this includes VAT.

http://digitalaudios...sra-e01-xx.html

As they use the same price on the spanish ebay, it should include VAT, and my previous statement is not quite as "true" any more. ;)

However, due to the different numbers of build in receivers the devices might not be well comparable.

I really really would like to sell my stuff at those list prices, but u understand I cannot talk about prices in this forum ;)

We mainly sell to big Broadcasters and rentals in big quantity so in that price list there is a big big discounted.

I can just giving you information on price positioning:

- MRK950 is usually sold at a price similar of Sennheiser 3732 although is based on a much more powerful DSP (SHARK class) with pratically no audio delay and the double bandwidth.

- MCR42 usually comes with higher price than Lectro but not that much.

Then if you like to have a MIC with a very expensive Schoeps capsule ... in this case the price goes up.

But honestly I really love Schoeps sound ;)

Nevertheless to attack market different than big broadcasters or rentals, we are also introducing a more economic range with slightly lower RF performances but this will be shown at Pro-lite and Nab.

Massimo Polo

Sales and Marketing Manager

Wisycom

Great. Those are published prices on the Wisy website, converted to dollars. If they are so inaccurate then why have them up there? If one were interested in buying this gear, what is a normal price range that an individual user would pay when buying only 1 or 2 systems at a time? Without that kind of info (very avail on other wireless systems) we can't make any real comparisons, no matter how great the systems are. Does anyone here own any of this gear? How has it worked out? How much did it cost, roughly?

thanks

phil p