RAMPS/JWS NAB Party: Are you coming?

Jim Feeley

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I'm already skating on thin ice with the old lady by scheduling our vegas get-a-way around NAB.... I've basically never attended any kind of meet up from any online forum I participate in and don't really know what to expect...."

The vibe is great, it will be whatever you want it to be, whatever you make of it. Not a "good 'ol boys club" but of course there will be lots of people, young and old, who have known eachother for over 20 years or more. Also, as far as being a meet up from an "online forum", the roots for this specific get together is the long running usenest newsgroup rec.arts.movies.production.sound (R.A.M.P.S.). That newsgroup and most all of its participants have moved here to JWSOUND which is why the Party is now referred to as the R.A.M.P.S./JWSOUND Party at NAB.

One thing I will do...and I got the ok from Toline...is to say that only sound mixers can put their name in for the door prizes. No manufacturers or dealers, please. This is an event for sound mixers, and I feel the sound mixers are the ones that should get the door prizes.

I'd like to think raffle rules would be a group decision with perhaps some special consideration given to the opinions of those donating stuff to the raffle. The event is, imo, for all of our community and that community includes manufacturers and dealers; think how much less valuable RAMPS would have been and JWS would be if people like you, Larry, Glenn, Glen, et al didn't participate. So why elevate one slice of our group above others during the raffle?

On a less Kumbaya note, I recall one mixer saying he was going to bring some of his t-shirts for the raffle. I could see non-mixers enjoying those. And in the past, some other prizes had universal appeal, iirc. So perhaps we could widen or narrow the pool of potential winners depending on the particular prize. Or if someone wins something they won't personally use, they either take a pass or give it instantly to someone who will. 

My concern is probably mostly academic, though. My recollection is this is fairly self regulating. Not everyone participates in the raffle, people are happy to pass on prizes that aren't appropriate for them, and so on.

Looking forward to seeing everyone next week, and to enjoying MC Dave.

I'd like to think raffle rules would be a group decision with perhaps some special consideration given to the opinions of those donating stuff to the raffle. The event is, imo, for all of our community and that community includes manufacturers and dealers; think how much less valuable RAMPS would have been and JWS would be if people like you, Larry, Glenn, Glen, et al didn't participate. So why elevate one slice of our group above others during the raffle?

On a less Kumbaya note, I recall one mixer saying he was going to bring some of his t-shirts for the raffle. I could see non-mixers enjoying those. And in the past, some other prizes had universal appeal, iirc. So perhaps we could widen or narrow the pool of potential winners depending on the particular prize. Or if someone wins something they won't personally use, they either take a pass or give it instantly to someone who will. 

My concern is probably mostly academic, though. My recollection is this is fairly self regulating. Not everyone participates in the raffle, people are happy to pass on prizes that aren't appropriate for them, and so on.

Looking forward to seeing everyone next week, and to enjoying MC Dave.

The prizes were always donations from dealers & manufacturers as their way of saying thank you to the mixers, their end customer. That was always the intention and it should be continued with the same thought process in mind. The prizes are for the end customers, the mixers.

Eric

Is Senator bringing hats?

You just gave me a new SWAG idea. Won't be able to have them at the show, though...

I don't think by keeping it to just the mixers getting the prizes elevates anyone. It's just weird when Sound Devices is going to put in a 664 (you are putting in a 664, Tatooles) and then Glenn Sanders wins it. Manufacturers and dealers are there to support the sound mixers. If I really want a shirt from a sound mixer, I'll just ask. I'm not shy about asking for free stuff...just ask all the other manufacturers.  ;D

I know Michael gave me one of his shirts last year, and I wear it all the time. I have a couple of shirts from other sound mixers. I'm thinking I'll bring some extra K-Tek shirts. I'll wrap the 664 that SD is hopefully giving away in it. 

"I'm already skating on thin ice with the old lady by scheduling our vegas get-a-way around NAB.... I've basically never attended any kind of meet up from any online forum I participate in and don't really know what to expect...."

The vibe is great, it will be whatever you want it to be, whatever you make of it. Not a "good 'ol boys club" but of course there will be lots of people, young and old, who have known eachother for over 20 years or more. Also, as far as being a meet up from an "online forum", the roots for this specific get together is the long running usenest newsgroup rec.arts.movies.production.sound (R.A.M.P.S.). That newsgroup and most all of its participants have moved here to JWSOUND which is why the Party is now referred to as the R.A.M.P.S./JWSOUND Party at NAB.

Good to know, thanks Jeff!

I'm so fired up! I'm actually coming to the party after all. Staying at the Palace Station Hotel. Flying in on the late Monday flight and out on the red eye on the 10th. Hoping to attend some of the exhibits at NAB as well. Hopefully I can still get get a pass from my dealer or someone else. Really looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible in person.

Bernie

I just RSVP'd... This is my first time going to NAB, but my other half and I are celebrating an anniversary so I'm only about 50% sure we'll make it. Which leads me to a question: What is the vibe of this party to a newcomer? I've been a member here only half a year or so and been doing production sound on and off for just  5 years. Other than a few classified transactions, I don't think I've met anyone here. I guess I'm just curious if it'll be a good 'ol boys club or what... I'm already skating on thin ice with the old lady by scheduling our vegas get-a-way around NAB.... I've basically never attended any kind of meet up from any online forum I participate in and don't really know what to expect....

Apart from the human sacrifices it's a friendly bunch.  There's such a variety attending that no one will point and giggle at a newcomer, since many won't even be aware of where they are.  Of course, there's the strip search when the uniformed sergeant-at-arms inspects you for producer-induced battle scars.  Then, that's followed by the obstacle course, dashing through Vegas traffic wielding an eighteen-foot K-Tek boom pole while you juggle sixty feet of breakaway cable and try to follow a cameraman who is determined to ditch you as he ducks into a strip club.  

Okay, seriously, it's a really easy-going, laid-back group and will be a fun evening.  I predict that both you and the wife will find it quite comfortable and will fit right in.  No "have tos," just kick back, relax, and enjoy.

On the party name issue, there's a lot to be said for tradition and I agree with Jeff.  Whatever the acronym stands for, it's the RAMPS party.  Part of the fun will be when our successors debate what the term means -- kinda like, the endless discussions of where MOS originated.

I hope Eric enjoys his (quasi)-retirement and misses us as we miss him.  Every year that I've been to the party his presence has been felt -- whether he was in attendance or not.

Unfortunately, I won't be making the trek this year, but am sending someone in my stead and will also be there in spirit.

Somebody save me some swag!

"Apart from the human sacrifices it's a friendly bunch."

Ha!

By the way..for those turning the trip into a vacation just got an ASAP 50% off for the Palms starting the 13th:

http://www.expedia.com/p/multi-deal/vacation-ideas-asap.htm?emlcid=CM-ASP-issu287-testEN1-segmX-segaX-date20130408082334-vers01-link-paid165709357-dma-wave678350

I am hoping for a BRoll morning so I can visit a few booths. BTW I got the LShark last week and absolutely love it...

I'm glad you like it. If you get a chance to swing by the booth, we are at C2046. I'll show you the new mount and some other stuff.