Future of Timecode system

pvanstry

Building cart too; thinking about going "hybrid" way: Denecke on Fusion for accuracy then from Fusion to ERXes via Zaxnet.

ERX on clap.

That is IF prod accepts to pay me what they'd pay for a bunch of Deneckes... Otherwise I'd probably save the expenses and use the Deneckes they probably have on top of all rented gear for free ( that being my assumption).

Pascal; you mean wifi is on same freqs as the ERXes?

It is my understanding that the ERX system operates in the 2.4ghz band, that same space as all common WIFI home wireless network, house wireless phone, proprietary home automation system and many more system like remote focus unit, wireless video transmitter etc....

It is a really crowded band. Now I am NOT saying that it will not work but just that it is competing with a lot of thing. A lot I them are frequency hoping device meaning they can change frequency automatically to try to adjust to interference, this rendering scanning and planning a pretty hard thing.

Also imagine that your are doing a 5D shoot. You set the ERX on the camera. If it fails, you lost at the same time your TC and audio, rendering both of your resync method out the door ( TC and Pluraleyes ). It is really sexy to only have one unit on the camera but much safer to have a Denecke, Comtek combo. Plenty of space on the camera Shape bracket/shoulder kit to mount the units, they also serve as counter weights.

Now, give me an ERX system in the 216 range and I am getting much more interested in it. There is always space in that range. If it could be put in compatible mode with the Comtek system, this would be a pretty rocking system. I understand it is digital, so it is not really possible.

I personally believe in solution 1. But I believe there is space for improvement. For one Bluetooth or wifi jam sync. That way just go close to the camera and it sync. Also if Denecke could come up with a wifi transmitter for non critical situation ( sound report, script etc... ). Also if the generators ( ex SB3 ) could have an aux input that would pass thru a stereo connector option, we could have a Timecode on left and audio on right solution for DSLR shoots. Also make it mic level switchable or use a custom cable.

Your concerns about interference to the ERX are not justified. Over the last 2 years the system has been in use with excellent results. Our tests have shown the system is not affected by the other users in the 2.4gig band mostly due to the spread spectrum system.

On a typical production the ERXs are on average only without signal for a few seconds at a time so drift is not a factor in their operation.

Glenn

I can only speak about my own personal test. I live up in the mountains far from any major cities. I tried the ERX system using an IFB 100. I basically got audio from my 788 into both a Comtek 216 system and the ERX/IFB.

I dd a walk test and after walking 50' away from the setup, the ERX started to loose connection ( audio would interrupt and return after a little moment. Walking any further created more interrupt and after 70-80' nothing, no more audio. The Comtek gave me a solid 200' an then I got very small drift sound, nothing that would be a problem. At around 300' it started to break up more severely.

This was done in line of sight condition. System was setup in my garage with the door open and I walk outside and away from the garage.

I guess that using a high gain antenna coupled with an amplifier would help with the ERX system but not viable in a bag situation.

I am still more inclined on option 1 but always looking at where and how it can be perfected.

I have been asking about zaxcom IFB range for a long time and have been getting conflicting information.

One person told me that the range is almost as good as comtek and other tells me the same as you Pascal.

I have to be honest I am a little confused...

I am pulling the trigger on 5 erx1tcd tomorrow and the doubt is killing me....

I can only speak about my own personal test. I live up in the mountains far from any major cities. I tried the ERX system using an IFB 100. I basically got audio from my 788 into both a Comtek 216 system and the ERX/IFB.

I dd a walk test and after walking 50' away from the setup, the ERX started to loose connection ( audio would interrupt and return after a little moment. Walking any further created more interrupt and after 70-80' nothing, no more audio. The Comtek gave me a solid 200' an then I got very small drift sound, nothing that would be a problem. At around 300' it started to break up more severely.

This was done in line of sight condition. System was setup in my garage with the door open and I walk outside and away from the garage.

I guess that using a high gain antenna coupled with an amplifier would help with the ERX system but not viable in a bag situation.

I am still more inclined on option 1 but always looking at where and how it can be perfected.

I have been asking about zaxcom IFB range for a long time and have been getting conflicting information.

One person told me that the range is almost as good as comtek and other tells me the same as you Pascal.

I have to be honest I am a little confused...

I am pulling the trigger on 5 erx1tcd tomorrow and the doubt is killing me....

Like your dear friend Mr Senator would say the range you will get will differ for many reasons so "it depends".

Perhaps before you buy you can demo one and decide for your self.

I will be using my erx's for camera(s). Will get two of them. And my keep my 3 old trusty g2s for ifb's.

I m not woried about a bit of drop on scratch track if tc keeps being generated and adjusted when signal comes back.

I wouldn t give a erx to a director's on a big project. I like my g2's better for that.

(btw does anyone know if i could just buy senheiser g2's reciever?)

I use the ERX's out of a bag, with the QRX's IFB (~50mW) and I've never had a problem with range of audio or code. Code travels farther more reliably than audio, in my experience. That being said, I work mostly in commercials so I'm never more than a few meters from the camera, and the agency split is within 50m-100m generally, but through a few walls or outside... If you want enormous range, get a comtek system or lectro IFB with a 250mW T4. Or, get a 1W 2.4ghz amp in your sound bag and start reaping the headaches.

Correct, Rado. It starts to get a bit funky when lots of people get in the way of the signal, screen doors, all the usual stuff. If I could get the antenna up higher it might be better, but it's in the bag. I've not had to try the system outdoors much, I'll do a test line of sight today when I get home.