PIANO Windshield from CINELA

Jeff Wexler

There is a new windscreen from Cinela, this one made to fit short shotgun microphones like the Schoeps CMIT-5. I love my first Zephyx windscreen and use it every day, but it only fits a short microphone. Cinela promised a longer one and I just had a chance to see it at Coffey Sound the other day. Looks great, I'm sure its performance will be every bit as good as the shorter one.

The oval "box" shown is a carrying case and the windscreen is shown with the upper cover removed. It comes with the standard (always in place) cover and then 2 others for heavier windy conditions.

post-1-0-65680500-1329002250.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look forward to any reports of how it performs (with covers in place, of course).

The larger Zephyx I looked at uses all the great design principles of the smaller one (which I have used extensibly for all the exterior shooting on the last movie) and the "covers" are the same materials. My expectation is that it will be a terrific performer, just like the smaller one. I can tell you from experience that it is not necessarily the ultimate gale-force wind protector, for that I imagine you really have to go for a traditional zeppelin style windscreen wrapped in layers of acousti-foam and so forth. But in those situations, it is unlikely you will be recording really nice sound anyway. The beauty of the Zephyx windscreen is that even at the upper end of its ability to protect from pretty seriously windy conditions, it has little affect on the performance of the microphone. This is something which cannot be said for most traditional zeppelin-style windscreens.

And yes, it is expensive --- probably about $1000. I'm guessing.

I don't think it so easy to mount and unmount --- I don't think it was ever intended to be used this way (I could be wrong). There are several parts to the whole shockmounting "system" that Cinela employs specifically to keep the microphone quiet while in the windscreen. I don't know if you can remove the windscreen parts and be left with just the shockmount and microphone on its own for interior work. I think the general plan is that the mic is mounted in the shockmount in the windscreen and left there. I do know that it is fairly easy to pull the mic out of the mount/windscreen and then possibly put it in another mount.

I imagine your question relates to so-called run 'n' gun situations where you don't really have any time to be pulling a mic in and out of the windscreen when you move from exterior to interior. The whole rig is very lightweight and since the windscreen is so transparent acoustically it probably wouldn't hurt to just take it indoors as is. Would you be using the same long mic indoors?

I don't know if you can remove the windscreen parts and be left with just the shockmount and microphone on its own for interior work. I think the general plan is that the mic is mounted in the shockmount in the windscreen and left there. I do know that it is fairly easy to pull the mic out of the mount/windscreen and then possibly put it in another mount.

This was going to be my question too. With the Zephyx, the back of the cage comes off, and you can pull the mic and 'bellows' (the part that the cage connects to) right out. I don't think that's possible with where the bellows seem to be situated in the Piano.

just received a demo unit which i will be trying out the next few days.

here is a photo with a rycote windshield size 3 at the top and size 4 at the bottom.

you cannot remove the bottom part if you want to use it indoors - it will need a separate suspension for a smaller profile.

had a brief play with it tonight and it doesnt seem to colour the sound of my super cmit as the rycote can but i really need to do an A/B test to confirm that.

still sounds very nice with the medium fur. and balance feels nice on the pole. though i didnt have space to extend more than 2 sections on my 18ft loom. feels slightly lighter than the rycote kit 4, and thats probably due to the lighter XLR's.

time will tell how fragile the plastic cage is, especially when travelling between locations, though it does come with a protective bag.

price i was quoted was £605 + VAT. this includes the main fabric and i think one fur ( i was told twice but as i didnt write it down, promptly forgot) with extra furs at £100. there are 3 lengths short, long and extra long.

here is a link to a short video about the mount

post-180-0-70978800-1329260469.jpg

That is beautiful: like one of the eggs from H.R. Giger's Alien drawings!

egg.jpg

OK, so I have an active imagination...

when i took it out on set yesterday, 2 people said the same thing. now i worry that actors wont stand underneath it incase a face hugger jumps out.

I don't know if you can remove the windscreen parts and be left with just the shockmount and microphone on its own for interior work.

Yes you can, and it's pretty easy. Without the windscreen you have something like this (depends on your mic) :

cinela_zephyx_xset-ccm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...