SMa extension cable for Zaxnet antenna...

RadoStefanov

Keep the cable as short as possible. Cable loss at 2.4 gHz is extreme.

I had the same issue - I now use an SMA to SMA right angle connector. I leave the right angle connector on Nomad and I just screw the Zaxnet antenna on to it. It is easy to attach the antenna now and it has a tighter profile.

I'm not sure but the extension cable might give you too much loss.

Quick question: is the IFB working on the Nomad yet?

Are you all attaching the antenna to reduce spray or something - or just getting it all settled in your bag for when the functionality becomes available?

@ Max, you would really only want to use a booster if you are using an external antenna like the "corner bracket" antenna - pretty sure you wouldn't want to use it with the short "duck paddle" one that comes with the Nomad or IFB100. FWIW - if you use the booster, you might very well want to run it with a different power supply - having it and my IFB100 powered with everything else on my cart induces the IFB squeal into the inputs on my mixer (or somewhere between my wireless and mixer)...not cool.

I will be very curious to know if there are any problems with the squeal with the nomad...

Quick question: is the IFB working on the Nomad yet?

Are you all attaching the antenna to reduce spray or something - or just getting it all settled in your bag for when the functionality becomes available?

I will be very curious to know if there are any problems with the squeal with the nomad...

Nomads IFB is fully functional. I have been running IFB at full power and have gotten no spray in my Lectro scans or any interference with Nomad itself.

The Zaxnet IFB range has been comparable to the range I get with my Comtek's. Plus the audio quality is significantly better.

Many cart based mixers will use an external amp and antenna to increase the range for large sets. I personally find for bag based operations the range is more than adequate using the standard antenna that Zaxcom supplies with Nomad.

An extention cable should not be used with Nomad unless the connected antenna has its own ground plane. When a cable is used it should be as short as possible 3 feet or less.

We have shipped 2 "whip" antennas with nomad. A short one (4 inches) and a long one (8 inches). I believe the long one has its own ground plane so it can be extended.

When on a cart, the 1 watt amp we offer with the corner reflector antenna will provide 4 times the range of the whip antenna in a single direction. The amp should be mounted directly under the antenna. In this setup a 10 foot cable can be used between the Nomad and the amp at the antenna.

Glenn

In this setup a 10 foot cable can be used between the Nomad and the amp at the antenna.

Glenn

Hi Glenn, is this with a DC injector? http://www.l-com.com...m.aspx?id=25982

I've got a 1 foot cable between the IFB100 and the DC injector, then about 12 feet of cable between the injector and the amp, and 8 inches of cable between the amp and the actual antenna (literally as short as can be with the amp mounted right at the antenna). I'm assuming I've done my homework right, but always good to ask.

As stated - I have to power the injector with a different power supply to kick down the squeal to acceptable levels - (even at 5 or 6 I still get too much squeal if everything is powered together).

Also, I thought I read in a different thread that the IFB in the nomad was actually going to be closer to 100mW...

As soon as you get that mix-8 support, I'm signing up on that list!

We have shipped 2 "whip" antennas with nomad. A short one (4 inches) and a long one (8 inches). I believe the long one has its own ground plane so it can be extended.

Glenn

You believe the long one has it's own ground plane? Will you find out?

As a potential customer of Zaxcom for wireless boom and IFB, range and antenna issues has kept me from pulling the trigger each time I think about it.

Robert

I feel the same about Zaxcom IFB range. There is just too much conflicting information floating around.

I am getting some ERX1TCDs next week and will perform a long test.

You believe the long one has it's own ground plane? Will you find out?

As a potential customer of Zaxcom for wireless boom and IFB, range and antenna issues has kept me from pulling the trigger each time I think about it.

Robert

Just wanted to chime in here relative to IFB100 range.

With the setup as described hereinabove (IFB100 set to 6; a 12" cable to DC power injector; 10' cable to 2.4GHz amp; 12" cable from amp to antenna; high masts), all powered from the same PowerStar DC distro I get IFB control range equal to TRX range and no squealing. And believe me, I push the system to its limits daily and after two years, I don't sweat the distance.

Do not scrimp on the setup. Get the best, lowest-loss, shortest cables you can.

That said, after my boom ops raved about the great quality sound of the 992, they defaulted to wearing the Lectro IFB's so they could more easily dismount while still in communication with the usually-remote main cart.

Jan, what's your boom ops kit now ? I don't get it all; they threw the 992s and went with Lectro IFBs but the booms: they are wireless with TRX700s or like now, or do you use cables ?

Hey, Pete,

No, they both still use and love the 992's for booming, but for IFB...

Second boom work sometimes arises quickly, and my 2nd boom (already on Lectro IFB for the range outside the stage or location), just stays on that rather than switching the headphone cable over.

Because I like to have an open boom in the room between shots, I rigged the boomstand box with a piece of trick line so the operator could quickly hang the 992 on it and walk away (he doesn't wear a belt). Most of the time the in-room boom is potted down until we get closer to shooting.

Note: placement and crew knowledge of the box with open mic is critical for crew trust. Unintended consequence: crew often stop by the mic and say, "Hello!" or sing to me. Usually fairly remote, hearing the rhythm in the room keeps me awake and focused.

-- Jan

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...

How do you deal with this sma connector, really? I can't be the only one having trouble with it. Many times what happens is that the antenna gets loose or the screw on the connector gets loose. It's really annoying and it already cost me one antenna that simply fell down wihtout me noticing. BNC would be bulkier, uglier, but so much more reliable.