R.I.P. Whitney Houston

Unfortunately Whitney was on a downward spiral for the last several years. I am friends with a very famous vocal coach who had been working with her for the last year, in her attempt to revive her career. When I asked him how she was doing, he admitted that when Whitney came to him she was in really bad shape (health wise) and that was last year.

She leaves a young child behind too.

Anyone who has become addicted to either booze or drugs has a painful and extremely difficult road to recovery and especially someone with her fame, has too many enablers.

We have lost another amazing talent among many who have succumbed. God Speed Whitney.

The timing couldn't be more dramatic: the day before the Grammy Awards. Very tragic.

The tabloid press and the websites are going absolutely berserk about this. I feel very bad for her family, particularly mother Cissy Houston and cousin Dionne Warwick, who the police refused to let into the hotel room to view the body this afternoon. Quite a mess.

We did several of Whitney's 1980s music videos at Complete Post in LA, and I thought her performances were stellar. Never met her personally, though the directors spoke very highly of her (back then).

It's a really tragic waste of a great talent. Whitney had just wrapped a co-starring role in a feature, Sparkle, which is due out this fall.