my macbook is so smart

ccsnd

My macbook is so smart that safari knows when I have been browsing for too long. It has this awesome feature where safari will automatically close out for me, and then refuse to reopen without several attempts.

We all know macs don't freeze or get viruses and are perfect, so the above explanation clearly is the only one.

I think it is great that mac is promoting less internet use.

Try "empty cache" and "clear history". In preferences under the privacy tab; "remove all website data".

Also open Disk Utility and run "repair permissions" (I always do this one every time I install something or update the OS).

Hope that helps.

Personally I prefer Google Chrome as my main browser these days.

I gotta say, Safari 5 (currently 5.1.2) has been very buggy for me, particularly with Flash-intensive websites. Many crashes and weird behavior going on.

I'm almost to the point where I have to run Firefox in the background, just in case Safari acts up. Piece of crap. And this is on OSX 10.6.8, because I stubbornly refuse to upgrade to 10.7 -- for now.

I dunno who to blame: Apple, Adobe, or both. Bastards.

Am very unhappy with 10.7 on new box. More powerful box + 10.7 = more rainbows of death than ever :(

May go back to 10.6 if I can.

Haven't used Safari for years. Went to Firefox and now Chrome (because of the soundie G+ weekly weekend hangout thing and extensions specifically for that).

Harrumph.

-- Jan

Wow. Am I the only one who loves Safari? I have also updated most all of my machines to current Lion and everything is working well (except for Zaxconvert, Howie is working on it, and of course any legacy programs that need Rosetta --- Quicken being the big one).

I have Chrome, Firefox, Camino and some other browsers installed, and I do need to go to them once in awhile when I encounter Safari incompatibility at some sites. Maybe it is just that I haven't used them that much but I really did not like Chrome or Firefox, so I think I will stick with Safari. I will add, and this is something I always explain to my less knowledgable Mac friends, is that the browser is one program that you do need to quit and re-launch on a regular basis, even if you are not having problems. Safari, like most of the browsers, initiates a lot of cleanup and maintenance routines when it launches and when it quits. Many people I know keep ALL the programs (applications) they want to use up and running at all times, never quitting anything. The browser should be quit and re-launched on a daily basis.

Am very unhappy with 10.7 on new box. More powerful box + 10.7 = more rainbows of death than ever :(

May go back to 10.6 if I can.

Haven't used Safari for years. Went to Firefox and now Chrome (because of the soundie G+ weekly weekend hangout thing and extensions specifically for that).

Harrumph.

-- Jan

Do rainbows of death = beachballs of colour?

I've resisted the Snow Leopard to Lion predatory cat upgrade as yet and it's interesting after the initial 'wonderful new thing' hype has died down the sordid reality begins to come out - reading some complaints about slower than ever and other things that don't work or only half work? And seeing articles about running Snow Leopard in Lion??? Can it be that good?

My macbook is so smart that safari knows when I have been browsing for too long. It has this awesome feature where safari will automatically close out for me, and then refuse to reopen without several attempts.

We all know macs don't freeze or get viruses and are perfect, so the above explanation clearly is the only one.

I think it is great that mac is promoting less internet use.

I know it's a lot more fun to bitch about how Apple's ruined your life with your virus infested steaming wreck of a mess of a computer. I guess I must be using mine wrong.

But you might want to try deleting Safari's preferences file, in your user library in preferences (com.apple.Safari.plist). You'll need to reenter passwords and user id's for places that require them on your next visit to each.

I spend less than a tenth the time maintaining the 4 Macs in the house than I do the 1 PC and 2 Bootcamp/Windows partitions we have here. Macs are far from perfect and they require maintenance, just less of it.

Best regards,

Jim

I know it's a lot more fun to bitch about how Apple's ruined your life with your virus infested steaming wreck of a mess of a computer. I guess I must be using mine wrong.

But you might want to try deleting Safari's preferences file, in your user library in preferences (com.apple.Safari.plist). You'll need to reenter passwords and user id's for places that require them on your next visit to each.

I spend less than a tenth the time maintaining the 4 Macs in the house than I do the 1 PC and 2 Bootcamp/Windows partitions we have here. Macs are far from perfect and they require maintenance, just less of it.

Best regards,

Jim

+1

I find Safari, Chrome, and Firefox regularly toss the crashy-code potato between them. So there's always at least one stable browser and one or two unstable ones. I've given up with long-term relationships and am always willing to switch browsers in a particular week or month.

As for Flash, I use Flashblock on Firefox and Chrome, and did use ClicktoFlash on Safari (before Safari 5.1 disabled webkit plugins... there are ways around that):

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flashblock/

http://clicktoflash.com/

With these and other flash blockers, when you visit a site that has some embedded flash content (including video, ads, whatnot), you get a holder window over just that content. You can click on that window to activate the flash content (and you can whitelist specific sites so their flash content always loads), but in default mode flash content doesn't automatically load. Works great (or with Safari, worked great).

Jim

Another one here that never used/gave up on Safari. Since I use several Macs and PCs and hop between them regularly I had to have a browser thats the same on both platforms and syncs between them all. Firefox I had been using already for years and am still. Google has already too much of my information, Im not going to give them my browsing habits too. Plus the add-ons just make Firefox a better browser.

I don't have any problem ditching a site that's entirely created with Flash. It's usually too long to buff anyway and most of the sites I go onto only have embedded Flash for a few frames into their actual webpages here and there.

But that's where it hurts; getting those white spaces on my girlfriend's iPad or on my iPhone.

And yes, there's more than a few of these actually and knowing that not endorsing Flash for whatever (crappy) reason was a decision made by only a few persons actually makes me... well, ok...

This control freak attitude re-enforces my decision to stay with PCs for computing, and maybe keep on going with Apple for leisure equipment.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

what is it like to not see a large percentage of the internet?

serious? ??? I don't see a large percentage of the internet every day -- pretty sure I'm ok ;)

What percentage of the internet do you see? How would you even quantify that? ok ok... there's an implied meaning there... I get it... so, actually, a better question (more to point, less sarcastic) is what percentage of the percentage of that we don't see is not seen because it's Flash-based?

Honestly, I've never really thought about it -- not even for a second.

~tt