iPhone navigation question for freelancers

johnpaul215

I've been on Verizon for years, so an iPhone wasn't an option till recently. Now that it is... the only holdup I have is navigation. Right now I have a DroidX, and the built-in google turn by turn nav is pretty great. I do a lot of jobs where I am in a new location every day. I can enter the job in iCal, or in Google calendar, and it will sync with my phone. When in my car I drop my phone in the car mount, click the entry in the calendar and the address is a link to launch google maps directions, with one more click and I am getting turn by turn navigation (spoken "turn right on Lincoln Drive in 300 yards"). I have not powered up my Garmin since I got my Droid X in Summer of 2010.

I know the iPhone doesn't have built-in navigation (yet?), but do any of the 3rd party apps hook in to the calendar like that? Oddly, nobody I know with an iPhone has been able to answer this. I have been in way too many situations where somebody uses the iPhone directions and is squinting at the screen while driving and nearly kills a van full of crew members.

I have kind of grown to hate my Droid lately, and have been Apple based since my Apple ][e, so this is the one holdout to me making the hop.

Basically, I know there are a lot of 3rd party navigation options, but do you have to manually enter your destination, or does it have hooks into iCal? I have not gotten a straight answer from anybody, and it just occurred to me that the people in the same situation as me were right under my nose, so..... ?

I had Droid issues myself, a shame because the Google Maps/Nav integration is pretty swell with the "favorites" integration, route updating and real-time traffic reporting. My phone finally blew up and I replaced it with an iPhone 4s. I haven't found anything like the Android Nav app as yet, at least not for free. The data use isn't a problem since I'm on the old unlimited data plan so I'm going to keep looking.

The stand-alone GPS with realtime traffic reporting and dynamic routing etc. is more like $225 to $250, usually with maps for a year. Add $50 to $75 for a map renewal and you're close to the cost of a smart phone. I looked into it before replacing my phone since in my area it's almost a given that any route into town in rush hour will require rerouting and there will be major and ongoing construction for the next several years.

The free MapQuest app is a good place to start, and Waze has some integration and both seem to work OK with spoken destination searches. Waze is a little too cute by about half, trying to turn navigation into a social networking and gaming opportunity. Both do spoken turn by turn directions, though.

Best regards,

Jim

I currently have unlimited data. The GPS data is minimal if you have the maps already downloaded. I have read some reviews of "best iPhone nav apps" and some have a big 1-2GB map database you download through iTunes (so you have nav even when out of cellular service). None of those reviews seem to answer my question though.

The main issue is that I don't want to type in a location every morning to an external GPS, sometimes more than once a day. It might seem lazy, but to me it seems stupid to have all my info organized in my iCal, and then sit in my car and hold my phone while I type the same info into a GPS. I also live/work in a city, so there is the theft issue of a GPS, where the phone goes with you.

The Android navigation also integrates with web searches etc, so if I am on a long drive, I can search up a place to get food or coffee or Best Buy and with a click the address in the web page (or google search results), it will navigate me to the location.

Like I said, I sometimes work in a different location 5 or 6 days a week. Sometimes more than one per day. It just gets old considering it is 2012 to have that gap when I know for sure that Android solved it. I know iPhones let you click an address in your calendar and map the route, but I just don't know if there is turn by turn navigation options.

Jim - good to know. I am willing to pay for a nav app, if it can hook into the calendar etc.

I feel like every software update is bogging down my phone. I have done multiple factory resets, watched what apps I install, and nothing. For example, I went from feature packed SMS apps to the bare bones ones because it takes so long to open. I am guessing the software is all written for the newest dual core phones, and my 18 month old phone is left in the dust. I have also been having some massive issues with mac.com email (which I use for work).

It also started doing "the blackberry thing" where I can not answer an incoming call because the phone freezes. Nightmare for a freelancer that is currently not on a long project.

Let me lay out some iPhone facts for you. :)

The iPhone since the 4 has had a built in GPS receiver and will use BOTH cellular triangulation AND the internal GPS receiver to pin point yout location.

On top of that any google searches you do for a physical place will (if google has the information) give you a nice little button right on the webpage search results to call them or give you directions. When you press the directions button it will open the Apple Maps App and allow you to set up a trip route to get there.

Also, saving an address in an appointment in the Apple Calendar App will indeed open the Apple Map App when pressed. Whatever address you put into the Location field when creating a new appointment will turn Blue like a hyperlink once the appointment is saved and you will be able to click it.

About the only think the iPhones dont come with is a voiced, turn by turn GPS mapping app. There are MANY out there you can buy and they range from $19 to $49. However Im not sure if they will interface into the iOS's links I mentioned above and take over as the default mapping app. Im sure some have found a way around that.

Lastly yes, Droids OS does get bogged down pretty easily in my experience. They handle their multitasking more like Windows does. Apples dont work that way and generally iPhones always run quickly and smoothly unless a third party app has glitches. That being said I have 150 apps on my iPhone 4S and have had every model since the 3G and have loved them all and never had any issues. They are awesome phones for more than just the listed above reasons.

Let me lay out some iPhone facts for you. :)

The iPhone since the 4 has had a built in GPS receiver and will use BOTH cellular triangulation AND the internal GPS receiver to pin point yout location.

I'm pretty sure that both Johnpaul and I are well aware of smartphone hardware and location services implementation, but thanks.

On top of that any google searches you do for a physical place will (if google has the information) give you a nice little button right on the webpage search results to call them or give you directions. When you press the directions button it will open the Apple Maps App and allow you to set up a trip route to get there.

Also, saving an address in an appointment in the Apple Calendar App will indeed open the Apple Map App when pressed. Whatever address you put into the Location field when creating a new appointment will turn Blue like a hyperlink once the appointment is saved and you will be able to click it.

About the only think the iPhones dont come with is a voiced, turn by turn GPS mapping app. There are MANY out there you can buy and they range from $19 to $49. However Im not sure if they will interface into the iOS's links I mentioned above and take over as the default mapping app. Im sure some have found a way around that.

The point is that turn by turn voice guidance is as necessary as iOS integration for many especially with various hands-free only laws and the issue of distracted driving. I plan to get by with a free app for the moment as I research further into well integrated nav apps. Voice search within the apps can be your friend as well. As an aside, Google has said their integrated Nav option won't ever be offered for any other phone platform than Android.

Lastly yes, Droids OS does get bogged down pretty easily in my experience. They handle their multitasking more like Windows does. Apples dont work that way and generally iPhones always run quickly and smoothly unless a third party app has glitches. That being said I have 150 apps on my iPhone 4S and have had every model since the 3G and have loved them all and never had any issues. They are awesome phones for more than just the listed above reasons.

The bigger issue with Android OS devices is the variety of versions of the OS in devices in use and implementation from device to device and provider to provider not to mention the broad hardware base itself. There are tons of "fixed" versions of the Android OS out there for rooted phones and pads that address perceived shortcomings of the various flavors of both the OS and phones. The problems with devices slowing down are easily fixed by system maintenance routines. My device was defective on the cellular radio side of the phone and had a widely reported but fixable GPS receiver bug as well. iOS devices work well because of the limits Apple imposes on them, developers and service providers as much as folks complain about those limitations.

Best regards,

Jim

Here's some research.

Apps with audio turn by turn directions, iOS 4 support (thus fast app switching, which would be helpful for this type of app) and live traffic that are highly reviewed:

Free:

AOL's Mapquest 4 Mobile is free with free traffic reporting. No maps are stored on your phone, problematic when out of range of cell service.

Waze is free with free traffic reporting. Again, no maps are stored on your phone, problematic when out of range of cell service. I have used this app on my Android and found the gaming/social networking approach too cute by half and very distracting.

Paid:

Navigon's MobileNavigator is $50, traffic is $20 per year. Maps are stored on your phone, so it will work when out of range of cell service. Reviews say It recognizes few addresses from the Contacts list, including ones that even other middling performers find just fine. The 3D display is coarse and sometimes difficult to read or figure out, with POIs overlaid like mad. This is fixable with a deep menu option.

TomTom's mobile app s $50, traffic is $20 per year. Maps are stored on your phone, so it will work when out of range of cell service. I own a stand alone TomTom that performs well and picks good routes to start. The mobile app reviews agree but say it also suffers from the same defect as my stand alone unit, over-direction. It simply talks too much, often giving unnecessary route info on long straightaways.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim - I read that Google was keeping their Nav as a killer app, but Apple could easily partner up with somebody. Apple did buy that mapping company a year or so ago and people wonder what they are going to do with the acquisition. I'm not familiar with the company, but they supposedly have the best 3-D maps available. Not sure how that affects me, but something to keep in mind.

I used a fairly entry level TomTom unit on a year+ job and found their system to be pretty good. Their basic OS running on top of a smart phone would probably be pretty good. I feel like I can easily justify the cost of a good navigation app with 1) the value of my life 2) getting to jobs on time and stress-free.

I wonder if other map services have the same issue. I know things like Mapquest, Yahoo, Google etc don't generally have their own employees out there making, and verifying, the maps. They hire companies. A friend of mine used to work for one of those companies. Google had "their" trucks out doing the street view project, but I don't think it was the actual maps.

I have had my Google navigation not know about a bridge that was removed. It was going to be gone for about 2 years and had been gone for months. I wonder if it sent me that way because it didn't show up as being congested with traffic? :/

I dicked around (this is a technical term) with the navigation on the iPhone, and ultimately didn't care for it. I finally threw in the towel and got built in Garmin navs on the Kenwood receivers in my truck and my car. They work fine.

If I have to walk a distance, the iPhones are fine, and at least they have a great "you are here" feature. Stuff like this makes you wonder how we ever got along with Thomas Brothers printed maps for 30 years in LA.

I finally got time to give the free app Waze a real test. After turning off the game and social networking features, it's a pretty OK (and free) nav app. Real time traffic, dynamic rerouting for shortest time to destination, speed camera and road hazard reporting. It does take some time to learn your favorite routes but I'm going to give it an extended chance to win me over.

Best regards,

Jim

If I have to walk a distance, the iPhones are fine, and at least they have a great "you are here" feature. Stuff like this makes you wonder how we ever got along with Thomas Brothers printed maps for 30 years in LA.

Thomas Brothers! Thank you, Marc, for the Way-Back machine... being as directionally challenged as I am, I had 2 copies of Thomas Brothers Guide, one for home and one for the car, and I got really good at using them (pretty good GUI for the times if you had the big pages).

Those follow the blue dot maps are great for walking. I just used them to wander DC and Charleston. In between I was almost a victim of production people trying to stare at the dot while driving the van full of crew. Those one of a kind DC traffic circles were almost my demise. UGH. I really hope the next iPhone fixes this. Doesn't matter what kind of navigation I have, when I am in the back of a rental van full of iPhones. :/

That being said, I still want a reason to ditch this Droid. What a headache.

• 3 weeks later...