Red Scarlet timecode input

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rado the pictures you provided are very helpful. No internet and poor cell service where I am working so unfortunately I didn't see the pics until I got home from work tonight. Your diagram will be very helpful to verify whether the cable I have is wired properly. I will check that out tomorrow.

Today I tried going wireless using my Lectro IFB setup. I came out of my Lectro R1a using the same cables I used before going hardwired but it still didn't work. At least using the Lectro R1a I could verify with some headsets that the TC was getting to the R1a. I tried this to see if varying the output of the R1a would make a difference. It didn't.

I just checked the 744t manual and TC output is 3 volts. So if your ERX works at 2 volts then the 744t should work at 3 volts.

Thanks,

Andy

I only have one 4 pin lemo cable and the other end is a BNC. I bought it to use with my SB-T box but thought I could use a bnc to xlr adapter to hardwire it to my 744t with my existing 5 pin lemo to XLR cables. When I tried today to use my lectro r1a I used a mini to bnc cable that I connect to my new 4 pin lemo to bnc cable using a bnc turn around. Did you follow all of that?

Andy

Update:

Using Rado's lemo pin layout diagram (thanks again Rado) I was able to determine that the cable I bought from a reputable source was soldered improperly. I spent a lot of time and effort trying to trouble shoot a problem that would not have existed if only the lemo was wired properly. Oh Well! Instead of re-soldering the pins which I didn't want to do in the field I was able to rotate the pins in the shell so that the Time code pin and the Ground Pin lined up properly when plugged into Scarlet's lemo connector. Now my 744 and the Epic are syncing to the second. I am not even seeing a one second delay others have mentioned and it doesn't make a difference if I am recording or not recording. To determine sync I am comparing the displayed time code on an external monitor that is plugged into the Scarlet's SDI out. I didn't think to check whether the time code in the Scarlet's small monitor was in synced or delayed by one second. I'll check that tomorrow.

Andy

It appears from visually looking at the Scarlet's LCD monitor as well as the monitor using the external SDI out that my hardwired timecode is in sync to the second. There is no one second delay whether in record or not. I wonder if the one second delay is just with the Epic and not the Scarlet.

Andy

Just did an Epic shoot yesterday, but we shot film-style, mostly to playback. Camera never went down once (except on a big Technocrane -- moving downward, that is). I did send a wireless scratch track to camera via a Lectro SR, but the crew seemed a bit indifferent as to checking it, beyond saying "meters look OK." No time to check a test recording. The editor told me, "even distorted audio will give me enough to sync it." OK... RollingEyesSmiley5.gif

The external timecode/wireless audio receiver options for the Epic are somewhat lacking, especially on a Steadicam or crane rig. Very tricky. I've had zero problems doing this with Alexa or Sony cameras, simply because they're bigger and have more compatible connectors, in my experience.

I know the A-box really should be part of the camera package, but I am thinking of buying one to have as another rentable tool...deep in the magic bag of spares...

cost about same as ENG cable anyhow...

That's not a bad idea at all if you do enough shoots to justify the $200.00. Also, I know the A-box is for the Epic, not sure about the Scarlet, which is the basis of this thread.

Epic and Scarlet have the same audio inputs and form factor, so everything that has been said for Epic is the same for Scarlet. I have an A-Box and it's an essential part of my kit for those cameras.

I got my lemo to BNC breakout cable wired up within 2 hours of calling it in to Wilcox Sound in Burbank. Didn't have to explain the pinout, they knew right away what I needed and didn't charge me a rush fee. I recommend them to everybody that asks.

I'm having them wire me up some ERX1TCD y-cables now. Thanks for the diagrams and pictures, Rado.

It's included w/ rental of my Scarlet package along with the BNC breakout cable. I just pull it and use it as part of my sound kit when I'm brought on for audio on outside projects. I lump the cost into my day rate.

Had one instance where after lunch the camera wasn't getting levels, but you have to unplug and re-plug and everything was working fine again.

I got my lemo to BNC breakout cable wired up within 2 hours of calling it in to Wilcox Sound in Burbank. Didn't have to explain the pinout, they knew right away what I needed and didn't charge me a rush fee. I recommend them to everybody that asks.

Blake is the greatest. I agree, their custom cable work is terrific, and their turnaround is very fast.

For those who need the info: (818) 504-0507 in Burbank.

Major problems (intermittent) with camera guide track last week on Scarlet. weird squealing sound on all tracks, disortion etc. DIT read on RED user group that some audio (and other) problems caused by loose PL mount on camera (there are pins on the mount for data communication between lens and camera). swapped bodies and OK for a while, but camera developed other issues. battery level indicator registered 0 volts, even though battery was fully charged. Turned out to be problem with battery sled (it's got smart circuitry in it). AC couldn't make touchscreen behave, big problem. they swapped out the battery sled (forget name of product - not RED, some third party device. Sync still holding perfectly with Ambient Lockit. No problems there. The adventure continues. I've got a few weeks off before the next production block. Chris Newton

I know the A-box really should be part of the camera package, but I am thinking of buying one to have as another rentable tool...deep in the magic bag of spares... cost about same as ENG cable anyhow...

The B box looks pretty handy too!

http://www.woodencamera.com/b-box-epic-scarlet

Andy,

Forgot to mention.

I used this connection with ERX1TCD and boosted the TC output to 2V per Tom VIsser's advise.

Maybe that is the root of your trouble.

1v is all you need. Jammed an Epic and Scarlet today just fine.

BTW I have noticed 1 second delay in the time code on the EPIC LCD screen when not in record mode. When the cameras goes in record TC looks fine.

This was common on the ONE as well