TRX900aa/STA150 Mod result

Zack

Got the new rf grounding plate from Zaxcom yesterday (thanks again Glenn), and came straight home to see what kind of results I'm getting with it. First off I want to say that, yes I don't have an optimal separation of wireless blocks (shown in pictures)... but oh well... hasn't been the end of the world yet. I am not currently using the Tx filtered antenna, but after discussing with Glenn about it and the addition of this mod I should have eliminated mostly all the spray I'm seeing. These pictures are shown with the use of the standard 1/4 wave whip on the TRX900aa, with the antenna removed... all rf spray on the nearby Rx's is completely gone.

MOD1.JPG

MOD2.JPG

MOD3.JPG

Hopefully the above pictures will give those with the STA100 an idea of how to create their own mod.

WoMOD.JPG

With Mod attached below:

wMOD.JPG

As you can see, not a huge improvement (as far as what the display shows). My block 26 seemed to improve the most out of the bunch. Glenn mentioned that the mod can improve a bit more by drilling and tapping the additional hole you see that's directly under the STA adapter. This is do at own risk job I would think though, but I'll wait to see what the filter antenna does before I drill my STA150.

I will tell you that the filter antenna will clean it up completely, but you will lose range/stability by using it. I put up with a tad of schmutz on my Lectros knowing I have a rock solid signal going to camera. I'm not a huge fan of the filtered antenna.

I'm confused now. I'm awaiting my mod in the mail, but is there something special I need to know or do when attaching it? It sounds like maybe I need a special screw or need to drill further into the STA? Or no?

The bracket gets screwed into an existing hole on the TRX. Then the bracket is designed to fit snug on the STA to complete the ground. A better ground will be achieved by drilling a small hole in the bottom of the STA and screwing the bracket into the STA.

The metal piece comes with a small zip lock bag that has 1 longer screw (forgot size) and 2 small washers. I had to use the supplied screw and 1 washer to attach through the screw hole that's under the battery door. I have not drilled anything for the hole under the STA itself yet, and I'm not sure if I should. I was told that having the second drilled screw should be more effective grounding though.

Glenn, would you be able to give the screw size again, and possibly how far one would need to drill the hole for the STA thread?

OK, I got it wrong from Glenn's reply: I tought there was soemthing special about the screw.

Of course, that makes sense from square one: you want to ground, screw it so it's grounded.

For a moment, I tought the whole casing was isolated so not usable as a ground, so we'd have to get the right lenght on that screw so it reaches an internal point inside the unit where a part was actually grounded.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope Zaxcom someday updates the TRX line with a new transmitter designed just to be a bag to camera link.. Solve all these design problems the right way: Proper shielding, built in filter antenna, diversity IFB antennas, allow simultaneous IFB signal and timecode to be output, variable RF output power, built-in line input and AES, better form-factor for bag use: LED indicators on top, connections on bottom. No side connections.

Especially now that they have the improved LT series for on-talent transmitters I think it would be better to have a dedicated unit in the bag.

Anyway, don't mean to be a drag. Hope the bracket helps, but I'm not keen to drill into my STA.. the idea of aluminum fragments rattling around inside of it afterwards seems too risky.

I have the piece of metal for the mod but I've only screwed in the one screw supplied into the bottom of the TRX900AA. I haven't drilled a hole into the STA-150...yet. Is that a necessity or just a bonus??

At any rate, here is my attempt to make the camera hops system reminiscent of a Lectro IFB transmitter. I used a BEC box designed for RX 900s. It's strictly intended for aesthetics, but I wouldn't be surprised it it offered a bit of shielding. Thanks Allister Mann for the cut!

-Devendra

post-754-133047759433.jpg

post-754-133047762833.jpg