Show me your bag

Mark Vesterskov

I don't do bag work (I don't even have a bag!), I don't have Lectro SRs, I don't have an SD 788T, but I think Pascal's sled is a brilliant design and execution for mounting and managing all those receivers in a bag. Good show!

post-1-0-32060300-1329757242.jpg

+1

Both Pascal's and Scott's bag are extremely impressive. Wow, I've got some buying/re-organizing/ engineering to do.

mine is getting lighter all the time. from (4) 411's and a 552 w hop and power in a eargonizer2 to what i have now: (2) 411's, (1)SRa, nomad, stereoline hop, bds+ lithium NP1 in a 601bag. it's a good 5 lbs lighter. prob weighs 12-13 lbs loaded. i mostly run w just the SR and it's very light once the 411's are removed. i'm seriously considering a kortwich bag w waist belt very soon, to make it even lighter and also allow space between the Rx's and the recorder.

(null)

post-1294-1479843.jpg

Is this an old zaxcom stereo line?

mine is getting lighter all the time. from (4) 411's and a 552 w hop and power in a eargonizer2 to what i have now: (2) 411's, (1)SRa, nomad, stereoline hop, bds+ lithium NP1 in a 601bag. it's a good 5 lbs lighter. prob weighs 12-13 lbs loaded. i mostly run w just the SR and it's very light once the 411's are removed. i'm seriously considering a kortwich bag w waist belt very soon, to make it even lighter and also allow space between the Rx's and the recorder.

(null)

Pascal did you recieve your PSC RF multi SMa?

Mine.

I added ( not on all pictures ) the Unislot Blue anodised frame in order to make the removal of the SRa a breeze. Now i can load my bag with just the correct amount of wireless i need and make the bag lighter in the process. Connection for them is thru a DB25 that has Audio and DC in it ( my custom built cables ).

I would love a pascel of bag experts to get together and talk for a couple of hours in a G+ Hangout about the thinking behind and around putting a sweet bag together. Jack, Pascal, Scott, pscottm immediately come to mind, though I know there are more who have exceptional bag setups and I apologize for not mentioning your names.

As a bag newbie, the idea of such a thing kinda makes me drool, as does this thread. I'm so impressed.

Hey Pascal,

Nice bag.

A couple of questions for you, if you don't mind.

On the last 2 pictures, we see the white piece of plastic with the two XLR's strapped to it (I'm assuming they are DC inputs for hot swappable batteries ?) does the plastic extend that low when you have it in your bag ? or is it just pulled lower to show your handy work in the picture ?

Also, do you find the db-25 connectors come loose from the SR's during a day of production ? since I'm assuming you don't use the screws to lock them into position ? Or maybe you do ?

I've got another "Big Bag" production possibly coming up again this summer. I may have to borrow some of the great ideas I've seen in this thread.

rf spray from stereoline tx is not a problem. it's on blk 26, SR is blk 20, 411's on 21 and 28. rarely use 28. if adding more Rx's within a block from 26 then i switch to the filtered tx antenna and all is fine. i do see some slight rf from nomad on 21 but it hasn't caused any problems so far.

(null)

I am happy you get slight RF in to block 21.

Me and Michael McQueen have had horrible results with Nomad spray.

rf spray from stereoline tx is not a problem. it's on blk 26, SR is blk 20, 411's on 21 and 28. rarely use 28. if adding more Rx's within a block from 26 then i switch to the filtered tx antenna and all is fine. i do see some slight rf from nomad on 21 but it hasn't caused any problems so far.

(null)

Beautiful.

I am planning the same setup especially if Sound Devices put a 552 style recording in the mixpre-D and put the headphone output to the side...

I'm still in mini bag mode for the show I'm on thats bag based.

But it does everything I need it to without breaking my back.

I'm also loving the modified Petrol clip on puch I've made for my D4. frees up the front pouch.

post-55-0-41143600-1329762120.jpg

THanks guys for the comment. It is an obsession and my wife is really patient with me. Also Pablo Villegas, a fellow sound recordist, is my sounding board for all the ideas. Great guy and great recordist.

Simon, the Plexi glass piece is velcroed to the 788 to do two things. 1- it gives me a place to neetly mount all add-ons i want ( btw the XLR4 are actually DC outputs for accesories ). 2- It also serves to keep all parts of the equipment in place, up at the top of the Pegz bag. Notice the velcro at the bottom, it grabs on the orange material inside the bag and it doesn't move from there.

Rado, i did receive my PSC unit but i have not yet had time to play with it, i also have a pair of Lectrosonics ALP620 and a RF Diversity fin to demo/test. I would believe that the PSC is the way to go for portable splitter system.

The Lectrosonics sled idea has been in my head for a while. When i did the switch to 788, i really wanted to keep the bag tigether at all time but the extra weight ( even with the SRa ) was a bit much. I wanted to be able to remove the SRa easily but needed a frame. I tought of making a special aluminium frame for it but remembered that i had the Lectro UNISLOT ones. THey are really in place and stiff ( using Tiewrap and velcro ).

Simon, yes the DB25 are holding really good. Happened only once that one came loose.

Larry F. Please if Lectro could retrofit or add the locking screw usually found on the DB25 connector to the SRA unislot adapter, it would be really good.

Jeff, any remark from you is music to my hear. You are an inspiration, both for your work and also your site.

Pascal

The Lectrosonics sled idea has been in my head for a while. When i did the switch to 788, i really wanted to keep the bag tigether at all time but the extra weight ( even with the SRa ) was a bit much. I wanted to be able to remove the SRa easily but needed a frame. I tought of making a special aluminium frame for it but remembered that i had the Lectro UNISLOT ones. THey are really in place and stiff ( using Tiewrap and velcro ).

Simon, yes the DB25 are holding really good. Happened only once that one came loose.

Larry F. Please if Lectro could retrofit or add the locking screw usually found on the DB25 connector to the SRA unislot adapter, it would be really good.

Pascal

+1 on the screws for UNI. I can not find the perfect length screws. The regular computer ones you find on computer components are too long and press against the PCB board inside.

Pascal,

I was going to go with UNI in the bag but decided to add a battery sled on all 3 SRas.

The reason being if my power distro fails I can drop 3 Sony L types and have everything working with their own batteries.

I'm still in mini bag mode for the show I'm on thats bag based.

But it does everything I need it to without breaking my back.

I'm also loving the modified Petrol clip on puch I've made for my D4. frees up the front pouch.

post-55-0-41143600-1329762120.jpg

Great job simon! I m still trying to wrap my head around the workflow of working with 4 channel on a 2 channel mixer. How do you deal with sacrificing your cam return? The ergonomics of that setup is tempting i must say. Cheers!

I would not use the mixpreD as a 4 channel mixer but as 3 channel would be just fine. I can get away with mono only return

Great job simon! I m still trying to wrap my head around the workflow of working with 4 channel on a 2 channel mixer. How do you deal with sacrificing your cam return? The ergonomics of that setup is tempting i must say. Cheers!

This is what I usually go out with. The rest of the stuff is in a still photo camera bag and a Storm case.

PEGz-2

Nomad

2 BL25 RX900

MIcplexer RX BL25, TX BL21

MD-6 power distro, USB power box, IDX NP1 (Anyone used NP1's from this company? http://batteries4broadcast.com/np1.htm) I know cameraman who used their gold mount batteries and swear by them.

current weight: 14 lbs.

Gabe

post-518-0-78772500-1329767272.jpg

(Anyone used NP1's from this company? http://batteries4broadcast.com/np1.htm) I know cameraman who used their gold mount batteries and swear by them.

I use them to power my bag, and I've been very happy. One bonus of their 2 slot charger is that it's simultaneous, not sequential so your batteries charge faster.

post-180-0-01575000-1329775555.jpg

bag i just built for the pre shoot for the 3rd series of a reality show.

will be using pretty much the same setup for the main thing, but hopefully will have a nomad by the time we head to the airport.

running 2 qrx100,one with ifb board. a trx900/sta150 to camera. in the middle of the qrx is the schoeps mini da42 and in the top right is an 4 way hirose box from hawk woods plugged in to the np1 shoe under the cl8. and a sennheiser sk100 g3 on the right for directors feeds.

for the pre-shoot, we will have 3 recordists running pretty much the same setup with each tx recording locally for backups. main shoot will have 4 crews on staggered shifts so we can shoot almost all day. oh joy.