Show me your bag

Mark Vesterskov

" yep its some rf absorbing fabric - 2 layers stapled to the divider "

noting wrong with that... it should be standard equipment, and bag-makers could should offer it as an option!

+1 all the main bag manufacturers should be incorporating RF absorbing material in to their bags in these days of digital mayhem!

My bag at the moment on an oil rig show in the middle of nowhere Alberta.

Is this a show called "Black Gold"?

I'm watching an ep right now where the rig is in the middle of no where. It's Bigdog Drilling Rig28 and a guy called Josh? goes to a rodeo.

It's sounds pretty good dude!! Alot of bleeping for all the swearing though!!

The boom audio is pretty obvious because it's so noisy and sounds off mic but they sub title it anyway. The radio mics sound fine.

Looks like a tough work environment.

Good luck.

Mega

Is this a show called "Black Gold"?

I'm watching an ep right now where the rig is in the middle of no where. It's Bigdog Drilling Rig28 and a guy called Josh? goes to a rodeo.

It's sounds pretty good dude!! Alot of bleeping for all the swearing though!!

The boom audio is pretty obvious because it's so noisy and sounds off mic but they sub title it anyway. The radio mics sound fine.

Looks like a tough work environment.

Good luck.

Mega

No it's called License to Drill. It is a tough environment but I'm trying different things out. It's going good.

Boomboom (Pierre) I met which was cool. He's a really great guy. And Pablo is the one who got me on the show. He's with another crew on a different rig. Hopefully we can meet up. He's also been great at helping me with any issues I've had.

No it's called License to Drill. It is a tough environment but I'm trying different things out. It's going good.

Boomboom (Pierre) I met which was cool. He's a really great guy. And Pablo is the one who got me on the show. He's with another crew on a different rig. Hopefully we can meet up. He's also been great at helping me with any issues I've had.

Oh!! It was a long shot considering I'm in Australia and the ep I was watching is probably really old anyway. Oh well, enjoy your show.

Cheers.

Mega

My current rig:

DSC01154.jpg

I'm on a shoot working with XDCam and occasionally C-300. I use my Zaxcom link for the XDCam and my SRa w/batt sled for the C-300. My TRX900AA/STA150 are in the right hand side pouches, but the picture doesn't really show them. I have them there so they are as far away physically as possible from my block 24 411's to reduce RF spray.

Nice rigs everyone, been really enjoying checking out all the pics!

Cheers,

Jase

and now for something completely different...

post-1336-0-05040100-1330389370.jpg

post-1336-0-73559800-1330389373.jpg

post-1336-0-01547300-1330389366.jpg

Even though the Nagra is one of the larger units around, the overall size is quite a bit smaller than most other ENG bags I've had to operate, and because the power source is all integrated to the Nagra, less weight too, although I have to use some power management to make the 14Ah battery last a full day when energizing the QRX units (hungry buggers).

I'm using the stock Nagra bag which is generally a cute but not too functional bag, primarily for simple slung over the shoulder work. I had my girlfriends bag maker / artist friend modify it heavily to be more functional for my needs... added reinforced D-rings to the body side of the bag for attachment points to a harness, moved the front pocket to the back / body side (I normally store rain gear and for padding). Currently I have the modified ZaxPac attached directly to the bag, using MOLLE straps and velcro, but am going to change that out and use a PortaBrace wireless accessory bag to increase capacity, hopefully without adding too much bulk - thinking of the future when I add camera hops, RF distribution, and maybe an additional receiver.

That's a nice set up Tom.

CrewC

Thanks Crew, that means a lot to me coming from you. When I first got the QRX units, it took me a long time to figure out how get everything cabled and mounted in a tidy manner. I finally made a big cable purchase, Remote Audio BDS (happens to be the same Switchcraft connector) to Hirose for power, and Redco for TA5 to dual right angle XLRs combined in a dual snake assembly, and hacking apart one of my Ambient timecode cables for the ridiculous dual mini TRS requirement. Whenever I put my Nagra into test mode, the Zaxcoms start recording to the built in cards, which gives me great piece of mind. All I need to do is add a Zaxcom wireless boom and some camera hops... and I'm done purchasing gear for a long time - yeah right - I wish.

I'm going to use this PortaBrace accessory bag for the wireless, placing the ZaxPac inside, eventually with 3 QRX, Micplexer, and hop transmitter...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/787388-REG/Porta_Brace_RM_MULTI_EB_Extreme_Wireless_Mic_Case.html

Anyone got positive or negative feedback from the field?

Tom, how did you mount your dual QRX case onto a MOLLE system?

MOLLE straps are attached at every 1.5" or so. When I got the ZaxPac, I already had a MOLLE platform sewn onto my bag, that is how I used to hold radio receivers, in individual pouches, and I just saw the shape of the ZaxPac plate and it naturally fit into the straps. So all the weight of the unit is held by the lower two "tabs" that fit into the straps. the standoff is unscrewed and then screwed back into place to hold it. I then just put a piece of velcro towards the top of the ZaxPac plate and had the mating piece sewn onto my bag. The problem with this, as you can see in the picture where I'm leaning over, is that the material of the bag is not so taught where the ZaxPac is kept tight against my bag when gravity is allowed to pull it forward. I need more space and felt like I could use more protection, physical and elements, for my QRXs, so am going to move to the RM-MULTI Portabrace bag to house the wireless stuff in the future and my VersaFlex harness will attach to both my main bag and the Portabrace accessory bag (which in turn will be strapped down to the main bag), so it will all be much more secure. The way that it is working now is not bad at all, just figured a way to improve it a little bit, although I have to tell you, I really like how compact everything is at the moment. I'll loose a bit of that moving to the RM-MULTI... but then again, probably won't have to wear an additional fanny pack for other accessories.

I used to be in the Marines. My bag slowly evolved over a long time and through a couple changes of equipment. I didn't really have a lot of experience building out bags before, and sort of always disliked the big cumbersome bags I would have to wear whenever I day played on a reality set or something. The MOLLE system just naturally seemed to me the best way to achieve a body worn, modular, chest-rig-like setup and is pretty flexible for what I need from it.

Here are some pictures of the body side, showing the D-rings and the detail of the under side of the ZaxPac and the MOLLE system.

post-1336-0-88055000-1330394487.jpg

post-1336-0-34259800-1330394492.jpg

NIce Tom,

I like seeing something different. Its good to see how everyone has their own taste.

I see your transmitters are tucked between you and your nagra. Looks like a efficient minimalistic bag.

Thumbs up.

Thanks, it has slowly become built out specifically for my preferred workflow. Honestly, I would have always underutilized the features of the Nagra if it weren't for the Zaxcom system. I also think that starting out using MOLLE pouches was the wrong way to go. It is just how my brain worked back then, but fortunately has adapted well to this current setup as you now see it.

IFB inputs can be configured to be a boom PL (hook up my MixPre-D to allow for coms), or can take a mix output from main buss... these feed my ERX1TCD units... it just saves me from having to use an IFB100 as a transmitter.

This is what I do as well. I have my Talent RX B26 QRX equipped with the IFB option to use as a IFB/Zaxnet transmitter.