Show me your bag

Mark Vesterskov

post-2949-0-27469800-1330891759.jpg

My bag for the weekend. Not my gear, but rented in by the production.

The Audio Limited wireless are very very very bad. Whenever the transmitter is more than 20 metres away from me, i get loads of RF hits with dropouts. Not very nice, when recording subtle dialogue. I scanned the spectrum, and the frequencies i chose are not intermodulating, nor already occupied by other gear. My Senny G3 works with no issue whatsoever.

The 744T and the 442 are a nice combo though. Wish there was post-fader direct-out!

Recorded on the 5D Mark II. The Sennheiser G3 sent timecode to the 5D's audio track, so syncing in post will be a (relative) breeze.

snip

The Audio Limited wireless are very very very bad. Whenever the transmitter is more than 20 metres away from me, i get loads of RF hits with dropouts. Not very nice, when recording subtle dialogue. I scanned the spectrum, and the frequencies i chose are not intermodulating, nor already occupied by other gear. My Senny G3 works with no issue whatsoever.

snip

Something I'd try is to get the Audio receivers much further away from the 744T (a known RF spewer) and you might find they give you much better range.

Something I'd try is to get the Audio receivers much further away from the 744T (a known RF spewer) and you might find they give you much better range.

Last shoot i did with them, recording straight to a computer using boom recorder, i had the same issues. I even tried mounting it 10 feet in the air, 5 feet away from any other equipment, but it did not do any difference, sadly.

post-2949-0-27469800-1330891759.jpg

My bag for the weekend. Not my gear, but rented in by the production.

The 744T and the 442 are a nice combo though. Wish there was post-fader direct-out!

Recorded on the 5D Mark II. The Sennheiser G3 sent timecode to the 5D's audio track, so syncing in post will be a (relative) breeze.

I thought those Audio radio products you have in your bag were IFB's or Comms, not radio mics. The receivers only have one ariel which leads me suggest they are not diversity receivers and would hence perhaps be the cause of your reception woes.

552 with wisycom wireless (nice!) and Senny ifb. Ccm41 on the k-tek boom. All rented.

On the accessory side is a water bottle, the best! And tape of course..

The bag itself is a Camrade one. Hate it.

post-1-0-13011100-1330972820.jpg

Note: I resized the image (760x568) to a smaller size (626x465), uploaded and "Added to Post" so that it appears in the post, rather than as Attached. No white line.

Excuse me for using as an example an image of a bag you hate

- JW

I thought those Audio radio products you have in your bag were IFB's or Comms, not radio mics. The receivers only have one ariel which leads me suggest they are not diversity receivers and would hence perhaps be the cause of your reception woes.

Yeah, the receivers are not up-to-date (guessing 5-6 years old?), which is probably part of the reason for my issues. As i said, its not my gear, but rented in by production, who i've clearly told what i needed, and they supplied something else, so its their issue in post.

They are the cheap and nasty Audio Ltd Envoy range aimed at self-shooters. Properly set up 2020s and 2040s will go for MILES and seem more resistant to bag-based spray issues than the SRa for example (in my experience).

I've heard good things about the 2020's and 2040's, but apparently the Envoy's are not worth writing home about..

There's DX - diversity receivers and MX - non-diversity receivers in the EN range

http://www.audioltd.com/eng/

" not diversity receivers and would hence perhaps be the cause of your reception woes. "

the difficulties described are not reduced much, if at all! by diversity techniques.

" There's DX - diversity receivers and MX - non-diversity receivers in the EN range "

yes, of course, but " The receivers only have one ariel which leads me suggest they are not diversity receivers "

and something different: I see that other images are uploading with a white line across near the top...

and something different: I see that other images are uploading with a white line across near the top...

I have seen this as well and I think it relates to images which are just slightly larger (dimensions) than can be contained and displayed properly. I believe that the display area can only contain images that are 600 x ?? and when an image that is not properly sized, the software attempts to fit it in and sometimes produces the artifact (white line).

P-did; Dual mode has been working well in the bag. You sacrifice the protection of true diversity but the mini SD on the tx's and ability to re-record to the Nomad add confidence. I'd say the range is definitely more limited in dual. I've been across a wide street and had a few drops and through a few walls etc..but for the majority of the time mixing from the bag I'm close enough to the action and they've worked very well. And of coarse if 1 or 2 radio mics are being used they go into Single mode and I'm good.